2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 12:20 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by paul100
Picked the truck up Wednesday night, spent the day today installing firestone airbags, just in case. I also installed the rear wheel well liner but I think I should have installed the Duraflap mud flaps first, since it appears that I need to remove a bolt that is now behind the liner. It was getting late so I decided to put everything away and work on it over the weekend. Tomorrow morning I'm dropping it off to have the chip protection 3M film applied to the front bumper, entire hood, front fenders, lights, mirrors, A-pillers (hopefully reduce swirl marks on the gloss black), door handle cups, door edges, front of rear fenders, and rear bumper as well as having the front door windows tinted to match the back.
Now, as far as the trailer TMPS, no kit provided at all, dealer says probably 2 week, we'll see. The only thing provided was the trailer yaw sensor for the back up assist. It came in a clear plastic zip lock with part number LC3T-14G621-AC. I pointed out that when the order was made it was listed as only 50 dollars and now the PO says 500. Salesman didn't remember our conversations of course, but he did get my 1-2-2020 expiration date $2500 PCO locked in and an additional $500 dollar incentive that is no longer available on Platinums locked in as well that I didn't know about so I decided to drop the argument over the 50 vs 500. It was a big check to write though, base price x-plan with all my options 85,346.43 + 4,981.18 WA state sales tax - 3000 PCO/insentive = YIKES!

Truck is great though.
I guess I should clarify the sales tax.... where my dealer is the rate is 9%, however, we did have a trade worth 30K so they calculate the tax after subtracting the trade value.
Sounds like you got the same delivery package as the rest of us. If the kit that my dealer is sending me is correct, then the dam has probably broken and others will follow soon. You should get six of the TPMS sensors and the sensors alone are about $85 each, so the sensors alone are worth $500 and you get the module and cable harness for free.

Yes on the sticker shock, sales tax is even higher in CA and DMV fees really add up.. I had to write a 6-figure check for my truck, even with my trade. But I love the new truck - it's only money and you can't take it with you

Old 03-13-2020, 01:39 PM
paul100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that's my mantra too. It's only money.... My wife says "it was on sale think of all the money I'm saving" LOL

Old 03-13-2020, 01:45 PM
paul100
Senior User
Hey MH, can you do me a favor? Can you look under your hood and see if there is a rubber like filler piece on one side or both sides. It's above the head light between the front top edge of the fender and the hole where the air intake is for the air filter. My truck only has it on the passenger side and I'm wondering if they forgot to install it on the drivers side or if its only supposed to be on one side, seems like it should be on both. thanks

Old 03-13-2020, 02:28 PM
FordZZZZZ
New User
I noticed on Nichols having a "12-Pin harness for Back Up Assist, TPMS & Trailer Camera System". Is this what is needed to use Trailer Camera and backup assist at same time?

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...camera-sysytem

Old 03-13-2020, 04:13 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by FordZZZZZ
I noticed on Nichols having a "12-Pin harness for Back Up Assist, TPMS & Trailer Camera System". Is this what is needed to use Trailer Camera and backup assist at same time?

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...camera-sysytem
This looks like the solution if you don't get the Ford harness. As they are asking for you to send them your two harnesses, they are probably dis-assembling them and combining the two into one.

I now have a tracking number for the new Ford kit that my dealer is sending me. I expect to have it on Monday.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:22 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Hey MH, can you do me a favor? Can you look under your hood and see if there is a rubber like filler piece on one side or both sides. It's above the head light between the front top edge of the fender and the hole where the air intake is for the air filter. My truck only has it on the passenger side and I'm wondering if they forgot to install it on the drivers side or if its only supposed to be on one side, seems like it should be on both. thanks
I only see the rubber piece on the passenger side. This is a F-450 and I understand that there may be differences with duallies. Please see the pictures below.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:28 PM
paul100
Senior User
perfect Thanks MH. That's the same as my F450. the only thing I can think is that they are trying to keep water from running along the fender and then wrapping around into the air intake area. Blocking/diverting it with the rubber piece to force it to drip off behind the air intake.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:47 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
perfect Thanks MH. That's the same as my F450. the only thing I can think is that they are trying to keep water from running along the fender and then wrapping around into the air intake area. Blocking/diverting it with the rubber piece to force it to drip off behind the air intake.
No problem. That does sound like a good reason. Glad that they thought about it (or maybe fixed a known problem).

Old 03-13-2020, 09:30 PM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Nichols looks like they have a solution but the price is a little rich. I hope the solution is in Montana's order. I think Ford should pay for it if they still don't have a solution, maybe, not.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:00 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by FishRanger
Nichols looks like they have a solution but the price is a little rich. I hope the solution is in Montana's order. I think Ford should pay for it if they still don't have a solution, maybe, not.
At first glance, I had the same thought, but we don't know the price of this harness if you bought it (or could buy it) from Ford Parts. Looking at the statement below from their website:

The price for this harness is $180.00 if you mail us your two Ford harnesses.
The price for this harness is $570.00 if you do not supply us with the two Ford harnesses.
If you send us the two Ford harnesses after you receive your new custom harness we will refund you the difference of $390.00 ($180 for the Y-harness & $210.00 for the Back up Assist Harness)

It appears that the two Ford harnesses cost about $390 and they are charging you $180 to disassemble them and combine the parts. It probably takes a special tool to remove the Backup Assist Harness pins from the 12-pin connector and press them into the empty holes in the camera/TPMS Y-harness 12-pin connector. From my observations, there are only 2 pins for the Backup Assist cable. So you would be paying $180 for the convenience and probably less than 1 hour of labor. Based on the prices they quote for the harnesses, I would guess that the new Ford harness would be more than $200, maybe $250-$300 as it will have 4 connectors. The price for the new Backup Assist Harness seams high as it only has two connectors vs. three on the Y-harness and there are only 2 wires in the harness.

Good luck with getting Ford to pay for this, but if your dealer values you as a customer, maybe they would pay for it. After all sold you the truck and these are not cheap trucks.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:46 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
As I understand the $375 camera is dealer supplied, does not ship with it but dealer provides...

Did not option the camera but bought it on line from a Ford dealer for $288...installed it last week. Short write up and pics of camera pics...love it, but love more if accessed while driving.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...arrives-3.html. Post 88
I added this kit to my 18, which gives cameras while in motion, including trailer cam
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT910/cod-f53.html

there is an fte discount . (I got 1/2 off)..
see https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19095872

Old 03-15-2020, 12:22 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I added this kit to my 18, which gives cameras while in motion, including trailer cam
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT910/cod-f53.html

there is an fte discount . (I got 1/2 off)..
see https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19095872
Very interesting system. i like the idea of the overrides. They list compatibility as SD 2019, I wonder if it will work on a 2020.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:44 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
Very interesting system. i like the idea of the overrides. They list compatibility as SD 2019, I wonder if it will work on a 2020.
Ask over in that topic. The navtv rep is very active.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:14 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Thumbs down New Camera/TPMS kit received

Well, the good news is that the package from my dealer arrived today via UPS in a snow storm.

The bad news is that it is the same kit that I received before, the 2017-19 kit without the backup assist module connection on the harness.

I sent the dealer an email with this info. It looks like the Nichols harness may be the only current solution. Stay tuned for his reply...

Old 03-16-2020, 06:16 PM
bertschb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for keeping us updated Montana. Following closely.

Quick Reply: 2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem