2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 06:56 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by What Rd.
Similar story for me. Traded in my 2017 F450 for a 2020 F450. Both with the ultimate trailer tow package and the trailer TPMS/Camera option. My trailer is a bumper pull. For now, no need for the in bed 12 pin connector.

My truck came with the yaw sensor in the back seat. I pointed out the trailer harness/kit was missing so the dealership is looking into that. Sounds like Ford doesn’t have the parts ready for the option.

If you follow the wiring harness down from the bed socket, you’ll find a disconnect for the 12 pin harness near the bumper. I disconnected this and tried to route it to a bumper mounted socket, but the vehicle’s harness is about two inches too short. I was hoping I could purchase a new 7/12 socket for the bumper, plug the vehicle harness to it and put one of the included cap off plugs on the harness that goes up the bed side to the bed socket. But no luck with the short harness length. My guess is the wiring harness we’re waiting for will have a “Y” to add the bumper 12 pin socket.
The harness that we are waiting for should plug into the bed 12-pin connector and go to a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer with 3 connectors on that end. One for the camera cable, one for the TPMS sensor receiver module and one for the new backup/yaw sensor. The backup/yaw sensor is only for a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer, so if you are going to use a bumper pull trailer, you don't need the new cable, you should be able to use the 2017-19 kit.
You might want to contact Nichols for a bumper 7/12 socket and they may be able to help with an extension cable.
https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...sPage=products

Originally Posted by C8Z06
Is everyone missing the Trailer camera as well? Mine didn’t come with my truck although it was ordered.
As far as what has been posted no one has received a TPMS kit, camera kit or combo camera/TPMS kit with or for a 2020 SD.
Originally Posted by Under-Pressure
No trailer camera with mine also. Also no explanation why or when / if it will arrive.
After a lot of research, my dealer says that the kits are on back order through the parts department.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:39 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
As I understand the $375 camera is dealer supplied, does not ship with it but dealer provides...

Did not option the camera but bought it on line from a Ford dealer for $288...installed it last week. Short write up and pics of camera pics...love it, but love more if accessed while driving.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...arrives-3.html. Post 88

Old 03-05-2020, 11:44 AM
NvPowerDoc
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently ordered (and was delivered last week of Feb) a '20 F250 Tremor with the 5th Wheel / Gooseneck prep option and the Trailer TPMS option, but did not order the "Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System and Pro Trailer Backup Assist Package".

The truck did not arrive with any Trailer TPMS parts kit (like others have mentioned).

Interestingly, depending on where you do the build on Ford's website (e.g., Fordpartner.com or Ford.com), the pricing seems the be different for the Trailer TPMS kit ranging from $500 (on Fordpartner.com) to not available as an individual option of the Ford.com website. In addition, the Order / Build sheet from the dealer also varied, either $55 or $500 (I have two different Order Sheets, each with both values shown). It seems perhaps the Individual Trailer TPMS must be ordered with another option (such as the UTT system) because my final order was only $55 and the only thing I received was (physically) nothing and some pre-programming in the Instrument Cluster where (if) the Trailer TPMS (were) installed, one would be able to see the trailer tire pressures on the Cluster under "Trailers".

My dealer is having a problem finding the kit, but I sent him the attached from the accessories.ford.com website.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:21 PM
paul100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that must be the 17-19 TPMS kit because the 20 kit is supposed to have 6 sensor, or so I thought.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:24 PM
bertschb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paul100
that must be the 17-19 TPMS kit because the 20 kit is supposed to have 6 sensor, or so I thought.
That is the same part # as the 2017-2019 kit. I've heard the new 2020 TPMS kit has six sensors but I'm not sure how anybody knows that because nobody has pictures or part numbers for it.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:19 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by bertschb
That is the same part # as the 2017-2019 kit. I've heard the new 2020 TPMS kit has six sensors but I'm not sure how anybody knows that because nobody has pictures or part numbers for it.
Yes, according to the 2020 Ordering Guide, the 2020 kit is supposed to come with 6 TPMS sensors. If you go on the Ford Parts Online website and set your vehicle as a 2019 SD, you can find the kit pictured above. However if you set your vehicle as a 2020, you don't find a kit.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:25 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
'17-'19 Camera/TPMS compatibility with 2020 SD

I got some time today to test the '17-'19 camera/TPMS kit that my dealer sent by mistake.

First I plugged in the camera using the kit's cables. It works just fine with my 2020 F-450 (I have all of the trailer and cam options).

Then I connected the TPMS sensor receiver module and put it near the 4 TPMS sensors that came with the kit. When I turned on the ignition, I was prompted to go through the procedure to "learn" the sensors (you let air out of the tire until the horn beeps). As the sensors are not in tires, I was not able to do this. Then I disconnected the TPMS module and tried to go back to that menu, the truck said that the module was missing.

So the bottom line is that the older camera and TPMS module work with a 2020 SD and the only problem is that the backup sensor connector is missing on the cable.

While I had the kit out of the box, I measured the cable lengths for future reference.

The cable harness with the 12-pin connector that plugs into the truck (P/N HC3T-14B232-GB4WD) is 13' 7" from the 12-pin connector to the "Y". The cable leg that goes to the camera extension cable connector is 2' 6" from the "Y" to the connector. The other cable leg that goes to the TPMS module is 5" 9" from the "Y" to the TPMS connector. The camera extension cable is 48' 8" long. I would like to see a longer cable or an extension for the TPMS leg as on a big 5th wheel, it might be good to get the module nearer to the wheels, especially if steel carcass tires are used. Nichols makes camera extension cables for longer runs, maybe they can also do one for the TPMS module.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:55 PM
jdnariz
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
What's the part number for the camera kit that you got? The one I finally received does not plug into anything.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:07 PM
firechicken92
Freshman User
Great info. Thank you. Learning everything I can before mine comes in next week so I know what to ask the dealer.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:55 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by jdnariz
What's the part number for the camera kit that you got? The one I finally received does not plug into anything.

2017-19 Trailer Cam/TPMS kit label

2017-19 Trailer Cam/TPMS kit box contents
Here is what I got. However, this is the 2017-19 kit and it does not have a connection for the new 2020 backup/yaw sensor that is used for 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers. This kit only contains 4 trailer TPMS sensors, the 2020 kit should contain 6. If you have a 2020 and wish to use the backup/yaw sensor with a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer then you will need the new kit which is still on backorder.

If you have a 2017-19 or only plan to tow a bumper tow trailer, this kit should be good for you.

If you have a 2020 SD and ordered the 5th wheel prep, you should have a 7/12 pin connector installed in the rear of the truck bed on the drivers side. The cable plugs in there. If you didn't order the 5th wheel prep, then my understanding is that there will be a cable harness under the truck near the spare tire. This kit comes with a new 7/12 pin connector that you can use to replace the 7/4 pin connector below the bumper and attach to the harness by the spare tire.

I hope this helps. If anyone wants to see it, I can scan and post the directions that came with this kit.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:39 AM
paul100
Senior User
Hey MH, was thinking about this whole no TMPS on F450 thing and was wondering if we could game the system? Would it be possible to to use the trailer TMPS system on the F450 itself? Install the sensors in the truck tires mount the receiver/sender under the truck and plug it into the 12pin plug, then just use the trailer TMPS screen to get truck tire readings?

By the way, my F450 arrived at the dealer today scheduled to pick it up on Wednesday, well see what if any trailer TMPS system got shipped with it.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:57 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
Here are the pics I get from the Ford Camera add on. How good is it? Good enought that I can put the 2 5/16th ball directly under the trailer hitch from the seat of the truck.

Camera is mounted on the upper center left of my Truck Camper and I look down on the hitch setup

Old 03-10-2020, 07:17 AM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
I went back to my dealer yesterday and still nothing. I ordered the camera kit with mine and it did come with the truck, at least it was in the parts department when I got it on 12/31. I asked for a refund as I am starting the process of waking up the fifth wheel from its winter sleep. Installing a back up camera is part of the process. I stressed to the salesman and the service manager that I paid for both and I expect both to work, at the same time. I think I got nowhere. Hopefully Nichols will have something soon.

By the way, this truck is amazing.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:06 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Hey MH, was thinking about this whole no TMPS on F450 thing and was wondering if we could game the system? Would it be possible to to use the trailer TMPS system on the F450 itself? Install the sensors in the truck tires mount the receiver/sender under the truck and plug it into the 12pin plug, then just use the trailer TMPS screen to get truck tire readings?

By the way, my F450 arrived at the dealer today scheduled to pick it up on Wednesday, well see what if any trailer TMPS system got shipped with it.
I think that would work as long as enough signal gets through the metal carcass of the tires (and it could be worse if the tires are wet), however, then you would not be able to use the TPMS on a trailer. I ordered the TST 507 system with the color display and 6 sensors, it should be here tomorrow. I still plan to use the Ford system on the trailer and I have already installed them in the tires, but if it doesn't pan out, I will put TST sensors on it.

Let us know what you get with the truck and enjoy the truck!

Old 03-10-2020, 11:11 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
But if they're not intending to use it on a trailer, like say, if they're hauling a truck camper, then it's a great use of the TPMS.

Quick Reply: 2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem