2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 04:24 AM
greymule
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ur 100% right on the cable, as described to me by my dealer. Not sure how this will interface with a pre ‘20 Super Duty as they did not come equipped with ultimate trailer tow camera/pro trailer backup assist. Will be interesting to know. Make u wonder if we should just wait until the next generation Super Duty comes out. It’ll all be wireless!!!!

Old 02-28-2020, 11:19 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by greymule
Ur 100% right on the cable, as described to me by my dealer. Not sure how this will interface with a pre ‘20 Super Duty as they did not come equipped with ultimate trailer tow camera/pro trailer backup assist. Will be interesting to know. Make u wonder if we should just wait until the next generation Super Duty comes out. It’ll all be wireless!!!!
Yes, it appears that they started out with a 12-pin connector and put in separate wires for each feature. There are a still a couple of unused pins after adding the backup/yaw sensor but if they add more features, they will quickly run out of pins with this scheme. As the truck already has Wi Fi, that would make sense to use. However for safety reasons and to keep the lawyers happy, they may have decided that hard wired is safer as wireless could be jammed by nearby strong signals or interference of other types. If your backup camera picture froze for a few seconds and you backed over a person, there would be a big lawsuit against Ford.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
I had thought about that too and went out to the truck to look. If you order the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep (standard on the 450), you will get a 7-pin/12-pin combo connector in the bed and a standard 7-pin/4-pin below the bumper, so there is only one 12-pin to plug into.
On my '18, there was a 7/4 at the bumper, and in the Camera/TPMS kit was a new 7/12 that you replaced the 7/4 in the bumper with. Unplug the 7/4, replace with a 7/12. If you got the '17-'19 kit, you should have gotten another 7/12 with it, giving you two 12-pin outlets to use. The only thing I don't know is if the cable above the spare tire is available to you to use for the bumper, or if the one in the bed uses it. If the one in the bed uses it, you could use this y adapter from Nichols to access both:

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...mper-5th-wheel

Old 02-28-2020, 12:25 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by Kaadk
On my '18, there was a 7/4 at the bumper, and in the Camera/TPMS kit was a new 7/12 that you replaced the 7/4 in the bumper with. Unplug the 7/4, replace with a 7/12. If you got the '17-'19 kit, you should have gotten another 7/12 with it, giving you two 12-pin outlets to use. The only thing I don't know is if the cable above the spare tire is available to you to use for the bumper, or if the one in the bed uses it. If the one in the bed uses it, you could use this y adapter from Nichols to access both:

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...mper-5th-wheel
Yes, the '17-'19 kit that I received contained another 7/12 connector that is not need on a '20. I haven't looked underneath to truck for a 2nd cable but I would be surprise if it was there as the factory has now mounted the connector in the bed eliminating the need for the Nichols connector box kit. The Nichols cable may be a solution if it contains the two new wires needed for the backup/yaw sensor. If it doesn't, I am sure that they could add them. If Ford doesn't come up with the correct cable soon, then Nichols may have a new market for cables.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:35 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, the '17-'19 kit that I received contained another 7/12 connector that is not need on a '20.
What if your trailer is a bumper pull? Wouldn't you want a 7/12 connector at the back bumper, so that you don't to have the back-up or TPMS cable hanging over the tailgate? Or do I not understand where the yaw sensor gets mounted (thought it was to the trailer somewhere, similar to the TPMS sensor)? I honestly haven't looked at the installation instructions yet, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here. I should add that I did order the truck with 5th wheel prep, so I do have the plug-ins in the bed also.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:57 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by 4Seams
What if your trailer is a bumper pull? Wouldn't you want a 7/12 connector at the back bumper, so that you don't to have the back-up or TPMS cable hanging over the tailgate? Or do I not understand where the yaw sensor gets mounted (thought it was to the trailer somewhere, similar to the TPMS sensor)? I honestly haven't looked at the installation instructions yet, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here. I should add that I did order the truck with 5th wheel prep, so I do have the plug-ins in the bed also.
If you don't order the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep, you probably get the 7/12 pin connector below the bumper but I am not sure, you may need to still change the connector like on the '17-'19s. As you have the 5th wheel prep, you don't have that option but if you would only need the connection for the camera/TPMS kit.
The backup/yaw sensor is for a 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer, you mount it on the trailer somewhere back of the pin box. For bumper tow, I think that you need to still use the sticker on the A-frame and the old camera/TPMS kit is probably OK.
If you want to be setup for both 5th wheel and bumper tow, the Nichols Y-cable is probably the way to go.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, the '17-'19 kit that I received contained another 7/12 connector that is not need on a '20. I haven't looked underneath to truck for a 2nd cable but I would be surprise if it was there as the factory has now mounted the connector in the bed eliminating the need for the Nichols connector box kit. The Nichols cable may be a solution if it contains the two new wires needed for the backup/yaw sensor. If it doesn't, I am sure that they could add them. If Ford doesn't come up with the correct cable soon, then Nichols may have a new market for cables.
Yep, if Ford doesn't provide a combined cable, Nichols probably will. They seem to meet the demand before Ford catches up in this space. But, in the meantime, since they did provide the 7/12 for the bumper, you could mount it, then you run the Yaw to the in bed connector, and the camera/TPMS to the bumper connector. Definitely not ideal, definitely not a good design, but hey, if push comes to shove, it's at least achievable to let you use what you've got.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:23 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't order the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep, you probably get the 7/12 pin connector below the bumper but I am not sure, you may need to still change the connector like on the '17-'19s. As you have the 5th wheel prep, you don't have that option but if you would only need the connection for the camera/TPMS kit.
The backup/yaw sensor is for a 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer, you mount it on the trailer somewhere back of the pin box. For bumper tow, I think that you need to still use the sticker on the A-frame and the old camera/TPMS kit is probably OK.
If you want to be setup for both 5th wheel and bumper tow, the Nichols Y-cable is probably the way to go.
Ahh, thank you for that explanation! Makes more sense now...I kept hearing about stickers for the trailer, but didn't realize that the yaw sensor was ONLY for 5th wheel/gooseneck applications. At this point I don't have a 5th wheel, so I will just need to plug in the TPMS if it ever shows up. Hopefully it does have a 7/12 connector that I can change out for the bumper.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:12 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Plan B - Nichols

I reached out to Nichols regarding the wiring harness problem. They are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. They say that it will be available in about 2 weeks.
So if Ford doesn't not come through with the proper cable, we have a plan B.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:24 PM
coues7
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reached out to Nichols regarding the wiring harness problem. They are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. They say that it will be available in about 2 weeks.
So if Ford doesn't not come through with the proper cable, we have a plan B.
What wiring harness problem are you referring to? Just the 2020 issue?

Old 03-04-2020, 01:47 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by coues7
What wiring harness problem are you referring to? Just the 2020 issue?
Yes, the problem where you cannot connect the new for 2020 backup/yaw sensor and the trailer cam/TPMS at the same time.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:09 PM
What Rd.
New User
Similar story for me. Traded in my 2017 F450 for a 2020 F450. Both with the ultimate trailer tow package and the trailer TPMS/Camera option. My trailer is a bumper pull. For now, no need for the in bed 12 pin connector.

My truck came with the yaw sensor in the back seat. I pointed out the trailer harness/kit was missing so the dealership is looking into that. Sounds like Ford doesn’t have the parts ready for the option.

If you follow the wiring harness down from the bed socket, you’ll find a disconnect for the 12 pin harness near the bumper. I disconnected this and tried to route it to a bumper mounted socket, but the vehicle’s harness is about two inches too short. I was hoping I could purchase a new 7/12 socket for the bumper, plug the vehicle harness to it and put one of the included cap off plugs on the harness that goes up the bed side to the bed socket. But no luck with the short harness length. My guess is the wiring harness we’re waiting for will have a “Y” to add the bumper 12 pin socket.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:11 PM
C8Z06
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is everyone missing the Trailer camera as well? Mine didn’t come with my truck although it was ordered.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:53 PM
Under-Pressure
Tuned
Received 196 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by C8Z06
Is everyone missing the Trailer camera as well? Mine didn’t come with my truck although it was ordered.
No trailer camera with mine also. Also no explanation why or when / if it will arrive.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:16 PM
What Rd.
New User
parts.ford.com shows PN: 1A189

My parts guy looked up all six variations and none show available to order. Looks like Ford is a little behind on this one.

Quick Reply: 2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem