2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 01:12 PM
KeystoneF350
Tuned
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
If you got the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep, there will be a 7/12-pin connector in the bed on the driver side and a 7/4-pin connector below the bumper. This should be listed on the window sticker in the list of options at the bottom. If you did not get the prep package, the trailer connectors are only below the bumper and if included, the 12-pin connector harness will be under the truck near the spare tire. In this case you will need to install a connector in the bed area for your gooseneck trailer. The '17-'19 kit from Ford or the Nichols kit could be used in this case.

The 7-pin connector contains connections for running lights, brake lights, R/L turn signals, trailer brakes and 12V for trailer battery charging. You should be able to find more info on this in your manual.
I ended up buying a 2020 F350 Platinum SRW off the lot due to the production shutdown and it did not have the factory 5th wheel prep. The dealer installed the 5th wheel prep package fine, but they did not include the correct 7/12 plug in the bed, and only installed a 7pin connector in the bed. The Platinum has the Ultimate Trailer Backup Assist and camera package, so is there any reason I can't buy the 7/12 connector and harness to install in the bed myself? Tired of dealing with the purchasing dealer, so would like to buy the parts and do it myself. Curious if the 2017-2019 7/12 plug from Nicholas Supply will work, or if I need to hunt down the correct 2020 plug and wiring harness.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:40 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KeystoneF350
I ended up buying a 2020 F350 Platinum SRW off the lot due to the production shutdown and it did not have the factory 5th wheel prep. The dealer installed the 5th wheel prep package fine, but they did not include the correct 7/12 plug in the bed, and only installed a 7pin connector in the bed. The Platinum has the Ultimate Trailer Backup Assist and camera package, so is there any reason I can't buy the 7/12 connector and harness to install in the bed myself? Tired of dealing with the purchasing dealer, so would like to buy the parts and do it myself. Curious if the 2017-2019 7/12 plug from Nicholas Supply will work, or if I need to hunt down the correct 2020 plug and wiring harness.
Yes, Nichols has the Ford 12/7-pins plugs and they con supply an extension cable that you will need to connect to the harness above the spare tire. You may also need the mounting plate/box that Nichols makes. Talk to Brian Nichols and he will be able to set you up with everything. Note that if you buy the 2017-19 camera/TPMS kit from Ford you will get a 12/7-pin connector in that kit.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:42 PM
KeystoneF350
Tuned
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts
Appreciate the help. I'll give Brian a call to discuss.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:23 PM
EhsanF
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rich53
has anyone gotten their 2020 wiring harness and 6 TPMS sensors yet?
my dealer messaged me before the shutdown to confirm that the camera/TPMS would arrive around end of April. Clearly that’s not gonna happen now but it was promising to at least get some confirmation that Ford would get it to me eventually.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:52 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by EhsanF
my dealer messaged me before the shutdown to confirm that the camera/TPMS would arrive around end of April. Clearly that’s not gonna happen now but it was promising to at least get some confirmation that Ford would get it to me eventually.
I talked to Brian Nichols on Friday and he said that he is not able to get any of the camera/TPMS stuff from Ford. He does have some stock but it is limited, so if you need something, I would recommend contacting him soon.
You might be able to get a nice ventilator from Ford though

Old 04-19-2020, 08:27 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,898 Likes on 2,800 Posts
Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
You might be able to get a nice ventilator from Ford though
Hopefully their ventilators don't get Death Wobble.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:27 PM
Sharkhunt
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got a kit at the dealer today that was ordered with my truck back in December. It has a harness with the connector for the bed on one end and 3 on the other, yaw, camera, and tpms. It came with 4 tpms senders. My yaw sensor was delivered with the truck. I’ll pull that harness off and replace it with the new one. I’ll install the harness today, and get the senders in the tires hopefully tomorrow and report back.

2020 SD

Old 04-21-2020, 04:18 PM
safedave
Freshman User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the 2020 kit came with 6 sensors. I could be wrong.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Smokeat
Freshman User
I know I paid for 6 sensors.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by Smokeat
I know I paid for 6 sensors.
The ordering guide says that it is supposed to include 6 sensors.
That's is good news though. However, I don't need it as I have purchased 2 harnesses from Nichols. I wonder if one will show up...

Old 04-22-2020, 05:01 PM
Rich53
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
My "box" with all the parts for my TPMS/Camera 2020 F350 showed up this week, picked it up from the dealer this morning. My truck has the fifth wheel prep package, so it already has the 7 pin/12 pin connector in the bed, and came with the Yaw sensor in a box with its own wiring harness.

The box part number is LC3J1A515AB, and it is marked as Same As LC2Z1A189A 1X

Inside the box were two wiring harnesses, a main wiring harness to go from the 12 pin connector to three separate connectors, one for the yaw sensor, one for the TPMS receiver box, and one for the camera harness. The second harness was one to go from the camera, presumably at the back of the trailer, to the front of the trailer where it connects to the main harness. Also in the box were the camera and mount, 4 (not 6) TPMS sensors, a 7 pin/12 pin socket for the back bumper, a dummy mount for the 12 pin connector you mount on the trailer to protect the 12 pin connector when it is not connected to the trailer, and the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter for pulling a 4 pin flat prong trailer.

The instructions are copyright 2019, I know it was mentioned in an earlier post that if the instructions were copyright 2017 it was the old kit for the 17-19 trucks.

The instructions have you look up above the spare tire (it was necessary to drop the spare, very difficult if you don't) and find a 12 pin connector with a dummy plug on the end of it, mine was wire tied to another harness above the spare running along the rear of the truck. This is an additional 12 pin connector separate from the 12 pin connector that was already connected to the in-bed socket that came with the 5th wheel prep.

The instructions say to save the dummy connector as you can't use both the in bed and bumper mounted connectors at the same time, implying that they can't both have the harness plugged into the backside of them at the same time. That didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I went ahead and changed out the bumper 7 pin/4 pin socket for the 7 pin/12 pin socket in the kit and connected the two connectors to it, the 7 pin that had been on the existing socket and the 12 pin that I had separated from the harness above the spare tire and removed the dummy plug from. I left the in-bed socket connected.

Once i had that all done I started the truck, no warnings or error messages.

Then I took the two harnesses that had come in the box, connected the yaw sensor from the original box that came with the truck, the TPMS sensor, the camera harness and finally the camera to the end of that. Nothing mounted on the trailer at this point, that will take me a while to get done, but I wanted to see how things worked with everything hooked up. Started the truck, no fault codes or anything, it came up with a message that the TPMS had not been set up yet, and the camera worked fine. That was with the harness plugged into the bumper socket, which is what i will use most, as my trailer is a bumper pull 10K boat trailer. The harness that originally came with the yaw sensor in the box with the truck is not needed, the harness that same in this kit connects everything.

Then I shut down the truck, unplugged the harness from the bumper socket and plugged it into the in-bed socket. Everything worked exactly the same. So while the instructions implied I should have disconnected the inbed socket harness in the rear of it, it doesn't seem to care that it is still plugged in, my assumption is that you couldn't have things plugged into the two sockets at the same time, for instance, you couldn't plug the yaw sensor in in the bed with its harness and then the TPMS/Camera plugged into the bumper. But since i don't have any way of knowing if the yaw sensor is working, that might not be true.

So pretty happy, took a long time for the parts to finally get here, but they are here and it all seems to work. Harness is really long, so on my trailer i am going to have a big loop of wire wire tied together, but I can live with it.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:59 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
My "box" with all the parts for my TPMS/Camera 2020 F350 showed up this week, picked it up from the dealer this morning. My truck has the fifth wheel prep package, so it already has the 7 pin/12 pin connector in the bed, and came with the Yaw sensor in a box with its own wiring harness.

The box part number is LC3J1A515AB, and it is marked as Same As LC2Z1A189A 1X

Inside the box were two wiring harnesses, a main wiring harness to go from the 12 pin connector to three separate connectors, one for the yaw sensor, one for the TPMS receiver box, and one for the camera harness. The second harness was one to go from the camera, presumably at the back of the trailer, to the front of the trailer where it connects to the main harness. Also in the box were the camera and mount, 4 (not 6) TPMS sensors, a 7 pin/12 pin socket for the back bumper, a dummy mount for the 12 pin connector you mount on the trailer to protect the 12 pin connector when it is not connected to the trailer, and the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter for pulling a 4 pin flat prong trailer.

The instructions are copyright 2019, I know it was mentioned in an earlier post that if the instructions were copyright 2017 it was the old kit for the 17-19 trucks.

The instructions have you look up above the spare tire (it was necessary to drop the spare, very difficult if you don't) and find a 12 pin connector with a dummy plug on the end of it, mine was wire tied to another harness above the spare running along the rear of the truck. This is an additional 12 pin connector separate from the 12 pin connector that was already connected to the in-bed socket that came with the 5th wheel prep.

The instructions say to save the dummy connector as you can't use both the in bed and bumper mounted connectors at the same time, implying that they can't both have the harness plugged into the backside of them at the same time. That didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I went ahead and changed out the bumper 7 pin/4 pin socket for the 7 pin/12 pin socket in the kit and connected the two connectors to it, the 7 pin that had been on the existing socket and the 12 pin that I had separated from the harness above the spare tire and removed the dummy plug from. I left the in-bed socket connected.

Once i had that all done I started the truck, no warnings or error messages.

Then I took the two harnesses that had come in the box, connected the yaw sensor from the original box that came with the truck, the TPMS sensor, the camera harness and finally the camera to the end of that. Nothing mounted on the trailer at this point, that will take me a while to get done, but I wanted to see how things worked with everything hooked up. Started the truck, no fault codes or anything, it came up with a message that the TPMS had not been set up yet, and the camera worked fine. That was with the harness plugged into the bumper socket, which is what i will use most, as my trailer is a bumper pull 10K boat trailer. The harness that originally came with the yaw sensor in the box with the truck is not needed, the harness that same in this kit connects everything.

Then I shut down the truck, unplugged the harness from the bumper socket and plugged it into the in-bed socket. Everything worked exactly the same. So while the instructions implied I should have disconnected the inbed socket harness in the rear of it, it doesn't seem to care that it is still plugged in, my assumption is that you couldn't have things plugged into the two sockets at the same time, for instance, you couldn't plug the yaw sensor in in the bed with its harness and then the TPMS/Camera plugged into the bumper. But since i don't have any way of knowing if the yaw sensor is working, that might not be true.

So pretty happy, took a long time for the parts to finally get here, but they are here and it all seems to work. Harness is really long, so on my trailer i am going to have a big loop of wire wire tied together, but I can live with it.
It's great that the correct kits are finally coming out!

Regarding multiple connections, there should not be any problem with harnesses connected to the bed are and the bumper and you could even connect the long harnesses to those connectors at the same time but you should not try to connect more than one of each type of module at the same time. You could probably connected a Backup Assist (YAW) sensor to the bed connector and the camera/TPMS to the bummer connectors at the same time if you wanted to. Each sensor/camera uses separate wires in the harness so as long as you double up on one item, there should be no problem. However doing this doesn't really make sense as you can only tow one trailer at a time.

Note that the YAW sensor is only used for a 5th wheel and may not work connected to the bummer connector unless the extra two wires for it are there.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:03 PM
bertschb
Senior User
My "box" with all the parts for my TPMS/Camera 2020 F350 showed up this week, picked it up from the dealer this morning.
Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been waiting for two months to get this kit. I just asked my dealer about it and of course, they haven't heard about it and the part number doesn't show up on their system. Can you post pictures of the camera and TPMS module? I'm just curious if they are the same as the old kit.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:02 PM
firechicken92
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone argue the lack of two sensors yet and won? I will for sure when mine comes in considering I’m looking at a triple axle trailer.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:02 AM
NvPowerDoc
Junior User
Originally Posted by firechicken92
Anyone argue the lack of two sensors yet and won? I will for sure when mine comes in considering I’m looking at a triple axle trailer.
I'm working with my Ordering Manager to get my #5 & #6 He's looking into it, but Covid slowing Ford Factory Parts response.

Quick Reply: 2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem