2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 12:58 AM
paul100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Ski
I ordered my truck in October with the $55 TPMS option. I didn't get any additional accessories when it was delivered. Since it was only $55 I figured it was only a software thing that gave me the ability to add the kit latter. I never gave it much thought. Anyway the UPS guy dropped off a package for from Ford last night.

I was pleasantly surprised to get it. But it seems like Ford is a little behind with this stuff. I only got 4 TPMS sensors and thats ok since I only have 4 wheels on my trailer. The part that bothers me is that I can't install the 7/12 connector in the bed . The 12 pin connector behind the spare tire is not long enough make it to the bed connector there should be another harness or extension from Ford for those of us who ordered the fifth wheel prep package. I don't want to throw wires over the tailgate or have them dangling between the truck and trailer. Looks like Nichols has an extension for $120. I may go that route. I don't want to start cutting and splicing harnesses on my new truck. At $55 I don't think I can really complain. I hope the pics help anyone waiting for there stuff. The rest of the installation instructions have the "copyright FoMoCo" at the bottom of the pages.

Got a call from my dealer today saying that he had a box with the "trailer camera kit" for me, exactly 1 week from when we picked up the truck. I drove over and picked it up and I got exactly the same kit that Mike got. I ordered the trailer TPMS only kit since, at the time I ordered, it was listed as only 55 dollars and, like Mike, no one at the dealership could explain exactly what it was, that was 12-27-19, however when the truck was delivered last week 3-11-20, the price on the invoice had changed to a little less then 500. So not quite the same good deal that Mike got LOL. When I opened the box i noticed right away that it was the TMPS only kit even though Ford seems to mention on all the labels "trailer camer/tpms kit" there was also a sticker on the box that said "factory invoiced accessory, dealer installed" although my salesman was quick to point out that their rate was 135/hour.
In any case, it appears to be the 2017/2019 kit (only 4 sensors, paperwork dated 2017) with the same 2020 addendum thrown in the box. The way I read the addendum is that you are supposed to install the 7/12 way plug included in the kit into the bumper and then plug the yaw sensor (was delivered with the truck) into the bed plug and the camera/tmps plug into the bumper. Since I don't have the camera, I'm wondering if I can modify the kit wire harness to work with the yaw sensor and TMPS? It's a bit annoying to me that for 500 bucks, more if you got the camera as well, that Ford provides such a crappy, unclean, and unprofessional system with wires running all over the place and confusing paperwork. At this point I'm thinking I should have saved the 500 bucks, plus I still have to pay some one to install the sensors in my trailer tires, assuming they even fit the wheels.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:00 AM
Mike Ski
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bertschb
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I'm looking for the Trailer TPMS only kit for my 2020 Superduty. When I look at the parts you received, this looks like the TPMS only kit but the label on the box says "Camera" in several places. I don't see the camera in the parts you shared. I'm confused! Is this Ford part # HC3J-1A515-BC the Trailer TPMS only kit for 2020 Superduty models? Also, are the TPMS sensors in this kit the smaller .452" diameter like those in the 2017-2019 kit?
I took a closer look at the box today and it looks like ford sent it to my dealer and they forwarded it to me. (one shipping label over another) This is the TPMS only kit. I don't know why it says camera on the box Here is a closer look at the sensors. Hope this helps.

I didn't order the pro backup assist. No mater how hard I try I just can't teach myself to look at the camera when I backup.

The harness in the kit I got is a "y" harness that goes from the 12pin on the truck then splits to the TPMS and the trailer camera which I don't have.

My truck is definitely not equipped with a 7/12 pin connector on the bumper or the bed so I am curious how the bed connectors are wired on the new trucks that have them. Is there a "y" or an extension harness from the connector above the spare, if so does any know the part number? I did't have much time to mess with it today but I did drop the spare and there is a plugged connector right there to attach to the bumper 12 pin. Looks like a simple install. We'll see what happens.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:24 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,433 Likes on 1,802 Posts
Nice work sharing the photos @Mike Ski Thank you!

Old 03-19-2020, 01:27 AM
Mike Ski
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by What Rd.
I was wrong.

I found the pigtail for the bumper mounted 12 pin connector.

So I’m working with a 2020 F450. All trailer tow and camera options. I came from a 2017 similarly equipped truck. I pull a travel trailer (bumper pull) that is wired with the TPMS and camera kit that came with the 2017.

I went to add the 7/12 connector to the bumper and went looking for the 12 pin harness under the truck to route to the back of the 7/12. Found the connector that goes up to the in-bed port and didn’t see any others that could be used for the bumper. There is a significant spider of wires under there and I thought I followed them all. I figured I would need to disconnect the one going to the in-bed port and route the vehicle harness to the bumper port, but the vehicle harness would not reach. Now what do I do?

Now I’m researching the plug style. Molex MX150. Figuring out where I can buy two female connectors and one male connector so I can fabricate a wye connector to solve my problem and still be able to use both the bumper and in-bed ports without having to go underneath and swap between the two. I checked one last time and found the dedicated bumper 12 pin harness above the spare. You CAN have both the in-bed and bumper plugs wired for the 7 and 12 pin ports at the same time.

What this means for all those bumper pull guys waiting for the proper 2020 TPMS/Camera kit, or the stand alone TPMS or stand alone camera kit, to arrive is that the 2017-2019 kit will work. The 2017-2019 kit will come with the additional 7/12 port for the bumper, replacing the original 7/4 port. At that point the truck is ready for all options. Just wire your trailer as you see fit.

Disclaimer: I haven’t hooked up to my trailer yet. But, based on my findings and what Montana has already proven, I have complete faith it will work fine.

Here’s some pictures of the connectors behind the bumper:

What it looks like underneath. The connector with the white and purple wires coming out of it just below the large white label is the 12 pin harness going to the in-bed port. Leave this one alone.

Here’s the connector that goes to the bumper plug. Tucked up above the spare where you can’t see it. It’s held in place with a matching cap plug to keep it sealed if not used. Disconnect it from the cap and route it to the bumper.

Here it is pulled down so you can see what it looks like. It’s late and raining now, so I didn’t install the bumper plug yet. The connector will end up fitting right below the large 7 pin connector in the upper right corner of the photo.
Thanks for posting this! So what you saying is that there is another 12 pin connector somewhere that is used for the bed mounted receptacle in addition to the one for the bumper. If thats what I have it would be great. You are right about the spider web of wires back there. I have to to get back under the truck and look around a bit more. Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:30 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
Very interesting system. i like the idea of the overrides. They list compatibility as SD 2019, I wonder if it will work on a 2020.
NO!

Hi Don, thanks for reaching out

unfortunately at this time the 2020's are not supported, Ford changed something in the data and we're working to fix it. As soon as it is ready I will let everyone know - it will require new hardware and a software update, but rest assured it will work just like the 2019 trucks and to answer your question, yes, a camera added to the OE AUX input will work any time while rolling.

Brendon Martell <bmartell@navtv.com>

Old 03-19-2020, 11:15 AM
NvPowerDoc
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
Are you sure that the connector in the bed is a 7/4?
That seams strange.
Did you get the backup assist/yaw sensor with the truck?
Yep, for sure the bed connector is 7/4 double-checked it.

And I did not receive a YAW sensor with the truck.

I think the intent of what I received was to just hook up the Trailer TPMS to whichever plug location the end user wanted. Yes, seems goofy the 12-pin connector is not available in both locations, but must be based on options I ordered (or didn't order).

Wondering though, can I add a Trailer Camera and Yaw sensor, and then make programming adjustments at the Instrument Cluster / in-dash camera screen to see these two devices? That would be cool.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:22 AM
bertschb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took a closer look at the box today and it looks like ford sent it to my dealer and they forwarded it to me. (one shipping label over another) This is the TPMS only kit. I don't know why it says camera on the box Here is a closer look at the sensors. Hope this helps.
That helps a lot! Thanks for the pics. Those sensors look like the .452" just like the 2017-2019 kit. I'll order the larger stems I'll need for my 5th wheel wheels from Nichols.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:25 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
NO!

Hi Don, thanks for reaching out

unfortunately at this time the 2020's are not supported, Ford changed something in the data and we're working to fix it. As soon as it is ready I will let everyone know - it will require new hardware and a software update, but rest assured it will work just like the 2019 trucks and to answer your question, yes, a camera added to the OE AUX input will work any time while rolling.

Brendon Martell <bmartell@navtv.com>
Thanks for checking this out Don. I will put that on my list of things to do to the truck later!

Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by NvPowerDoc
Yep, for sure the bed connector is 7/4 double-checked it.

And I did not receive a YAW sensor with the truck.

I think the intent of what I received was to just hook up the Trailer TPMS to whichever plug location the end user wanted. Yes, seems goofy the 12-pin connector is not available in both locations, but must be based on options I ordered (or didn't order).

Wondering though, can I add a Trailer Camera and Yaw sensor, and then make programming adjustments at the Instrument Cluster / in-dash camera screen to see these two devices? That would be cool.
This is interesting. You might want to check above the spare tire and see if you have the harness that goes to the 12-pin. If you do you could install the 12-pin at either location. However, you may need an extension cable from Nichols if you want to install it in the bed location.
As to installing a camera, that is a good question and you may need the aftermarket device that Don reported on. You can check to see if you have the camera button on the dash above the touchscreen on the right side.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:42 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
I was wrong.

I found the pigtail for the bumper mounted 12 pin connector.

So I’m working with a 2020 F450. All trailer tow and camera options. I came from a 2017 similarly equipped truck. I pull a travel trailer (bumper pull) that is wired with the TPMS and camera kit that came with the 2017.

I went to add the 7/12 connector to the bumper and went looking for the 12 pin harness under the truck to route to the back of the 7/12. Found the connector that goes up to the in-bed port and didn’t see any others that could be used for the bumper. There is a significant spider of wires under there and I thought I followed them all. I figured I would need to disconnect the one going to the in-bed port and route the vehicle harness to the bumper port, but the vehicle harness would not reach. Now what do I do?

Now I’m researching the plug style. Molex MX150. Figuring out where I can buy two female connectors and one male connector so I can fabricate a wye connector to solve my problem and still be able to use both the bumper and in-bed ports without having to go underneath and swap between the two. I checked one last time and found the dedicated bumper 12 pin harness above the spare. You CAN have both the in-bed and bumper plugs wired for the 7 and 12 pin ports at the same time.

What this means for all those bumper pull guys waiting for the proper 2020 TPMS/Camera kit, or the stand alone TPMS or stand alone camera kit, to arrive is that the 2017-2019 kit will work. The 2017-2019 kit will come with the additional 7/12 port for the bumper, replacing the original 7/4 port. At that point the truck is ready for all options. Just wire your trailer as you see fit.

Disclaimer: I haven’t hooked up to my trailer yet. But, based on my findings and what Montana has already proven, I have complete faith it will work fine.

Here’s some pictures of the connectors behind the bumper:

What it looks like underneath. The connector with the white and purple wires coming out of it just below the large white label is the 12 pin harness going to the in-bed port. Leave this one alone.

Here’s the connector that goes to the bumper plug. Tucked up above the spare where you can’t see it. It’s held in place with a matching cap plug to keep it sealed if not used. Disconnect it from the cap and route it to the bumper.

Here it is pulled down so you can see what it looks like. It’s late and raining now, so I didn’t install the bumper plug yet. The connector will end up fitting right below the large 7 pin connector in the upper right corner of the photo.
This is really good information. So you can have a 12-pin in both locations. It is possible that the harness above the spare that goes to the bumper 12-pin may not have the extra 2 wires that are needed for the yaw sensor as you don't need the yaw sensor for a bumper pull trailer. Maybe that is why the 2020 addendum sheet talks about plugging in in different areas? If this is the case, someone who didn't order the 5th wheel prep and then installs a 12-pin in the bed, may not be able to use the yaw sensor.

This does provide a solution for the problem of connecting a yaw sensor and the camera/TPMS system at the same time (a crappy solution though). You can plug the yaw sensor into the bed connector and the camera/TPMS into the bumper connector (after you install it). I like the Nichols solution better. Having the camera/TPMS cable hanging down to the bumper on a 5th wheel setup is asking for a problem.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:59 AM
What Rd.
New User
Thanks for posting this! So what you saying is that there is another 12 pin connector somewhere that is used for the bed mounted receptacle in addition to the one for the bumper. If thats what I have it would be great. You are right about the spider web of wires back there. I have to to get back under the truck and look around a bit more. Thanks again.
The 7 wire and 12 wire harnesses going from the vehicle main harness to the in-bed port are bundled together in one harness. The PN from the one on my truck is LC3T-13A576-CD. Last I checked this was backordered. But it sounds like this is the Ford part you need to get the 7/12 wiring to the bed.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:59 PM
Mike Ski
Mountain Pass
The 7 wire and 12 wire harnesses going from the vehicle main harness to the in-bed port are bundled together in one harness. The PN from the one on my truck is LC3T-13A576-CD. Last I checked this was backordered. But it sounds like this is the Ford part you need to get the 7/12 wiring to the bed.

Thank you so much What Rd that is exactly what I wanted to know. Hopefully I can get that harness and plug it in and be done. Hopefully Ford will provide it with the kits in the future for the ones with the fifth wheel prep packages.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:14 PM
4Seams
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dealer called and said my $55.00 TPMS kit was in. Its the EXACT same thing as Mike Ski shows posted up above. So I'm happy....helluva deal. With my bumper pull I'll be set up with what I need, and if/when I move up to a 5th wheel, I'll work out something then. Probably will look at installing the bumper 7/12 plug on Saturday. Thanks to all for the information that has come with this thread!

By the way, this didn't just show up for me, I had been working with the dealer to figure out why it didn't come with the truck, and they ended up ordering it. So for others, you might have to go make some noise at the dealership.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Sapps
New User
add me to the list, ordered & paid in full, didn't receive or even get notified it wasn't included, maybe they thought i wouldn't notice... 2020 F450 - 2020 Luxe 42MD

Old 03-20-2020, 10:11 PM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Montana, did you get your harness back from Nichols yet? I sent my 2 harnesses off to them today. Call me whatever but I had a change of heart. I decided that instead of returning the camera to my dealer for a refund, which they said they would do, I wanted to keep it. I ordered it with the intention of using it in place of an aftermarket one with a separate monitor, which I didn't like. I'm not even going to press my dealer to pay for the Nichols conversion. My guess is they are going to be pretty hard hit with our new reality and people will lose jobs. I just didn't feel right pressing for money from them. I know they are business designed to get every penny they can from me and probably wouldn't miss it but it makes me feel better.

Quick Reply: 2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem