2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 01:08 AM
paul100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
I think that would work as long as enough signal gets through the metal carcass of the tires (and it could be worse if the tires are wet), however, then you would not be able to use the TPMS on a trailer. I ordered the TST 507 system with the color display and 6 sensors, it should be here tomorrow. I still plan to use the Ford system on the trailer and I have already installed them in the tires, but if it doesn't pan out, I will put TST sensors on it.

Let us know what you get with the truck and enjoy the truck!
So my trailer has 16 inch G614 Goodyears on it with a "G" load rating, I believe they have steel side walls as well, I know they are set at 110psi from the tire installer. So, if the system can't work with the truck tires I'm not sure it will work with the trailer tires either which means I pretty much wasted the money. (although that will be a discussion with the dealer when I go to pick the truck up tomorrow, when I order it the trailer tpms option was 55 dollars and that's the only reason I included it, now the window sticker shows 500.)

Old 03-11-2020, 09:41 AM
bertschb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Ford trailer TPMS system on my 5th wheel and 2019 F-350. They worked fine with Sailun S637 tires which are steel carcass very similar in construction to the G614. .

Old 03-11-2020, 11:04 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by paul100
So my trailer has 16 inch G614 Goodyears on it with a "G" load rating, I believe they have steel side walls as well, I know they are set at 110psi from the tire installer. So, if the system can't work with the truck tires I'm not sure it will work with the trailer tires either which means I pretty much wasted the money. (although that will be a discussion with the dealer when I go to pick the truck up tomorrow, when I order it the trailer tpms option was 55 dollars and that's the only reason I included it, now the window sticker shows 500.)
I have the same tires on my trailer with the sensors installed. I also hope that they work but I have not been able to test them yet. If the 2020 Ford system doesn't come through soon, I will install the old TPMS module and see if it works. I am planning a trip in early April and I want to have something working by then.

It appears that if the system does not show up with your truck, you could cancel it and buy it later through the parts department if it turns out to be viable.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:55 AM
Smokeat
Freshman User
"I appears that if the system does not show up with your truck, you could cancel it and buy it later through the parts department if it turns out to be viable."

Better check what the cost from parts department will be first. I made my order for my Tremor before I decided to use the Andersen hitch. So to avoid voiding my order and delaying my delivery date, I had them order the Gooseneck hitchball separately. Even though they sold it to me at employee cost, it still was probably $100 more than if I ordered it with truck.

And I also did not get the trailer camera or TPMS trailer kit in my truck. I have never towed anything before, so if I had not seen this thread I probably would not have known it was not included. The salesman who did the walkthrough/orientation had absolutely no idea what was missing and would never have told me.

I still do not know really what I didn't get, such as the proper connector harness to run all three systems as well as lighting on the trailer. And I sure don't trust the dealer to make sure I get all I paid for. Does the regular hitch come with anything more than the hitch receiver? I know my used F-150 came with shank and ball. Dave
​​​​​​​

Old 03-12-2020, 11:42 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by Smokeat
"It appears that if the system does not show up with your truck, you could cancel it and buy it later through the parts department if it turns out to be viable."

Better check what the cost from parts department will be first. I made my order for my Tremor before I decided to use the Andersen hitch. So to avoid voiding my order and delaying my delivery date, I had them order the Gooseneck hitchball separately. Even though they sold it to me at employee cost, it still was probably $100 more than if I ordered it with truck.

And I also did not get the trailer camera or TPMS trailer kit in my truck. I have never towed anything before, so if I had not seen this thread I probably would not have known it was not included. The salesman who did the walkthrough/orientation had absolutely no idea what was missing and would never have told me.

I still do not know really what I didn't get, such as the proper connector harness to run all three systems as well as lighting on the trailer. And I sure don't trust the dealer to make sure I get all I paid for. Does the regular hitch come with anything more than the hitch receiver? I know my used F-150 came with shank and ball. Dave
​​​​​​​
If you got the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep, there will be a 7/12-pin connector in the bed on the driver side and a 7/4-pin connector below the bumper. This should be listed on the window sticker in the list of options at the bottom. If you did not get the prep package, the trailer connectors are only below the bumper and if included, the 12-pin connector harness will be under the truck near the spare tire. In this case you will need to install a connector in the bed area for your gooseneck trailer. The '17-'19 kit from Ford or the Nichols kit could be used in this case.

The 7-pin connector contains connections for running lights, brake lights, R/L turn signals, trailer brakes and 12V for trailer battery charging. You should be able to find more info on this in your manual.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Smokeat
Freshman User
I am not sure I understand your reply. I am just trying to say that if you cancel the TPMS kit that you (we) ordered with a new truck, and did not arrive, and buy it later (when available) from the dealer parts department you will probably pay substantially more than the option on your new truck.

My new Tremor was ordered with the fifth wheel prep package, TPMS and trailer camera and back-up assist. Only the yaw sensor and a cable actually came in the truck. Like everyone else, I got no camera or TPMS sensors or cables to attach them. And no notice from Ford or the dealer that they were missing or when they would be available.

This is especially troubling to me as I have no idea what parts I am owed. I really should not have to research each system in the manual or elsewhere to make sure I get all that I paid for. Dave

Old 03-12-2020, 03:18 PM
firechicken92
Freshman User
Same here. My truck arrived Monday. Exact same scenario that Smokeat said.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:26 PM
NvPowerDoc
Junior User
As with my Tremor, the only thing I could do is document it on the "Dealer Owe" paperwork (for the Order Option - nothing supplied) and keep in touch with the Ordering Manager as Ford's Supply Chain resolves the issue.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:56 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by Smokeat
I am not sure I understand your reply. I am just trying to say that if you cancel the TPMS kit that you (we) ordered with a new truck, and did not arrive, and buy it later (when available) from the dealer parts department you will probably pay substantially more than the option on your new truck.

My new Tremor was ordered with the fifth wheel prep package, TPMS and trailer camera and back-up assist. Only the yaw sensor and a cable actually came in the truck. Like everyone else, I got no camera or TPMS sensors or cables to attach them. And no notice from Ford or the dealer that they were missing or when they would be available.

This is especially troubling to me as I have no idea what parts I am owed. I really should not have to research each system in the manual or elsewhere to make sure I get all that I paid for. Dave
Sorry about the confusion, I was not commenting on the advisability of canceling the item and ordering it later, only on weather or not you have the proper wiring. As your truck was ordered with the 5th wheel prep, you should have the connector in the bed area.

I have just received good news from my dealer, they just received the kit and he is sending it to me. As soon as I receive it, I will verify the kit and post the result with any part numbers that I can find.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:06 PM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Montana, anxiously awaiting your report. I hope what you get is a solution to the two functions, one hookup issue. I'm getting tired of my dealer telling me to be patient. Had the fifth wheel out today getting it ready to sell and/or ready for the season, whichever comes first. We have found a Jayco Pinnacle that the wife says she wants but it hinges on selling ours first.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:53 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by FishRanger
Montana, anxiously awaiting your report. I hope what you get is a solution to the two functions, one hookup issue. I'm getting tired of my dealer telling me to be patient. Had the fifth wheel out today getting it ready to sell and/or ready for the season, whichever comes first. We have found a Jayco Pinnacle that the wife says she wants but it hinges on selling ours first.
Yes, I am anxiously waiting also, to see if it is correct. My guy at the dealer understands the problem, so I am hopeful. It has been about two months since I took delivery.
I plan to take the Montana out for a trip back to Elkhart, IN in a couple of weeks. We are ordering a new Luxe 5th wheel from the RV Factory and plan to go back to pickup out options. Even though it is long drive from CA, we would rather sleep in our own bed rather than fly and stay in hotels with the current virus situation.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:40 PM
FishRanger
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Nice. Luxe's are in a class above and very well built. We are trying to go the opposite direction and downsize a bit. Our Excel is built like a tank with only 2 minor issues in 8 years of use and about 65K miles. It's not too heavy for the new srw 350 but was probably a better match for the 17 dually we had. I would like to find something about 2K pounds lighter. Unfortunately lighter usually equates to lesser quality but our travels have slowed and we are not putting the miles on like we used to do. We still spend about 3 months a year total in it but we tend to go one place, stay a while, come home, get a grandkid fix and go again. I'm hoping something in the mid tier price range like the Pinnacle, Vilano or Redwood will work for us.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:13 AM
paul100
Senior User
Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
I have the same tires on my trailer with the sensors installed. I also hope that they work but I have not been able to test them yet. If the 2020 Ford system doesn't come through soon, I will install the old TPMS module and see if it works. I am planning a trip in early April and I want to have something working by then.

It appears that if the system does not show up with your truck, you could cancel it and buy it later through the parts department if it turns out to be viable.
Picked the truck up Wednesday night, spent the day today installing firestone airbags, just in case. I also installed the rear wheel well liner but I think I should have installed the Duraflap mud flaps first, since it appears that I need to remove a bolt that is now behind the liner. It was getting late so I decided to put everything away and work on it over the weekend. Tomorrow morning I'm dropping it off to have the chip protection 3M film applied to the front bumper, entire hood, front fenders, lights, mirrors, A-pillers (hopefully reduce swirl marks on the gloss black), door handle cups, door edges, front of rear fenders, and rear bumper as well as having the front door windows tinted to match the back.
Now, as far as the trailer TMPS, no kit provided at all, dealer says probably 2 week, we'll see. The only thing provided was the trailer yaw sensor for the back up assist. It came in a clear plastic zip lock with part number LC3T-14G621-AC. I pointed out that when the order was made it was listed as only 50 dollars and now the PO says 500. Salesman didn't remember our conversations of course, but he did get my 1-2-2020 expiration date $2500 PCO locked in and an additional $500 dollar incentive that is no longer available on Platinums locked in as well that I didn't know about so I decided to drop the argument over the 50 vs 500. It was a big check to write though, base price x-plan with all my options 85,346.43 + 4,981.18 WA state sales tax - 3000 PCO/insentive = YIKES!

Truck is great though.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:23 AM
paul100
Senior User
I guess I should clarify the sales tax.... where my dealer is the rate is 9%, however, we did have a trade worth 30K so they calculate the tax after subtracting the trade value.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:01 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by FishRanger
Nice. Luxe's are in a class above and very well built. We are trying to go the opposite direction and downsize a bit. Our Excel is built like a tank with only 2 minor issues in 8 years of use and about 65K miles. It's not too heavy for the new srw 350 but was probably a better match for the 17 dually we had. I would like to find something about 2K pounds lighter. Unfortunately lighter usually equates to lesser quality but our travels have slowed and we are not putting the miles on like we used to do. We still spend about 3 months a year total in it but we tend to go one place, stay a while, come home, get a grandkid fix and go again. I'm hoping something in the mid tier price range like the Pinnacle, Vilano or Redwood will work for us.
We looked at the new Montana's and most of the others, but we didn't like the floorplans compared to our 2010 Montana. Most of the new plans have the raised rear entertainment area. I am 6'7" and the ceilings are too low (6'6") and my wife doesn't like the closed in feeling in the mid kitchen area. So we kept working up and spent quite a bit of time looking at DRV also. The end decision was based on the fact that the RV Factory will customize the trailer and build what you want. We settled on the Luxe Elite 42MD and are completely resigning the den into an office with a computer desk and utility room with extra cabinets and counter space.

The RV Factory is also going to install the Ford TPMS/camera package, so I really need the kit before they start the build. Let's keep our fingers crossed on that. Nichols is plan B and maybe the best choice if they can make a custom harness to fit the trailer.

Quick Reply: 2020 Camera/TPMS/Backup Sensor Cable Problem