Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford replacing 2018 5.0s?

Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by smokewagun View Post
Oh no! Not the highly coveted 5.0L! 😆
I have to start the oil consumption test all over this week, and have the PCV changed. Here we go....

I am pretty sure you will be able to get a replacement engine with your consumption.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 AM
IndyDog
Senior User
IndyDog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I guess my question would be what is the cause of oil consumption and what changes if any we're made to the '19 powerplants. Doesn't help the '18 owner but going forward it would be nice to see if Ford implemented modifications

Old 03-06-2019, 10:45 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Pretty sure we will learn the cause is in the plasma coating and ring selection. Two components with a high hardness and low friction make for a terrible seal under normal conditions. The technology works in race cars because of high temperatures and higher cylinder pressure.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:37 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
I would think the quick fix will be to go with higher tension piston rings. That would likely cause the coating on the cylinder walls to wear prematurely though.

I agree with Tom that this tech is better suited to high performance applications. It’s probably not suited for truck use where there is extended low RPMs and/or idle times.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:55 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
That's my guess, it's not cost effective to change the plasma coating so the change to rings with a high tension seems logical or add a face coating. As it is these engines are not able to be rebuilt so at least everyone will get new short blocks.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Maybe Ford could develop a CGI block for this small V8. Light weight and durable. Able to handle boost, rebuildable and able to handle an increase in displacement. Of course that would be another all new redesign. I'm not sure why the original cast iron lined block Coyote was not retained for truck use, other than simplifying and consolidating tooling.

I think this will be a bigger issue than just F150s. A lot of mustangs will have the same issue. Leave the high performance and high tech to the VooDoo 5.2.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:21 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
Oddly enough no issues on the mustang forums so far that I can see. Probably because they are driven harder. We have a 2018 5.0 shop truck for parts runs and it doesn't burn oil. However at least 3 people a day drive it and beat the hell out of it. It definitely is well broken in, pretty sure it goes full throttle between every red light lol.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 PM
ecoboost12
Senior User
ecoboost12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ecoboost12 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Like many on here they say drive it Hard to seat the rings I think you're getting Blow by because of the low tension rings and the Plasma Coated Cylinder should be a pressed in sleeve along with the Cam driven HPFP, Cam Phasers making noise, and is there not 4 valves per cylinder.so double overhead cams.

Last edited by ecoboost12; 03-06-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Miss Phrased
Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
Oddly enough no issues on the mustang forums so far that I can see. Probably because they are driven harder. We have a 2018 5.0 shop truck for parts runs and it doesn't burn oil. However at least 3 people a day drive it and beat the hell out of it. It definitely is well broken in, pretty sure it goes full throttle between every red light lol.
That's big part of it. When I bought a 250 Yamaha outboard a few years back, it had plasma coated cylinders. The service manager told me to let it run easy until the engine was warm then take it and run it wide open throttle for a few miles, Idle it down and do it all over again for the first couple hours. The he said to run it hard from there on when ever I used it. It never used oil in the 4 years I had it.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
I agree with the idea of pushing an engine to properly break-in the rings. I've broken in lots of engines that were known around the Internet for oil consumption issues, including a 2011 5.0 L in my Mustang. I have never had an oil burner. It is my guess that people who baby their trucks when new are the ones that are more likely to suffer oil consumption issues.

The rule I've always had, with new or broken-in engines, is to be easy on the throttle until it comes up to temperature. Then all bets are off. I like to have fun while driving. I currently have a 2017 Pacifica and an old Prius; neither of which are driven "normally". I get some interesting looks from people.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:37 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
Smokewagun, You might want to change to a 5w30 oil and try running it hard for a few thousand miles. It might make a difference.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:48 PM
windellmc
Senior User
windellmc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
They tick and use oil in the Mustang. Check the forums again. They are also swinging out engines. There are guys there using over a quart every 1k miles too.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:42 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
Post up some links. I got nothing for 2018+ mustang's.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
Smokewagun, You might want to change to a 5w30 oil and try running it hard for a few thousand miles. It might make a difference.
Going in for PCV and oil change tomorrow. Starting the consumption test... again. Will know in a couple weeks if it consumes a quart in 3k.
Hope this darn thing doesnít decide to NOW repair itself with a PCV change. It wonít cure the antifreeze loss issue. Then they can long block the truck. If the next 3k donít follow suit, which is now over 2 quarts in 4K, the trucks gone. Iím wore out. I only am skeptical because it seems the first 1,200 miles the oil level barely moves. Then it goes down fairly quickly afterward. It must be related to oil breakdown and driving style? I drive it the same mostvweeks, so why the delay in loss? No idea.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:01 PM
CathedralCub
Elder User
CathedralCub is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was never a fan of them calling this new 2018 and the 2011-2017 by the 5.0 name. I knew it would cause confussion, and it has. Some people still call them 302s.
Agree. One guy over at The Fast Lane Truck on Youtube even said something to the effect of how tried and true it is because it's been around for decades.

The 2018 engine actually has 307 cubic inch displacement. And the 2011-2017 was 302 I believe.
Correct on this. Of course the "302" added to the confusion. The 307 makes me think Oldsmobile.

Chevy did the same thing in Ď99, leading people to beielve they were bringing back the 327 with the 5.3.
Yeah, someone figured out that a 327 was 5.3 liters and then many others started carrying on about GM bringing back the 327. The actual displacement is 325.1cu.in and they have no relation except bore centers. LOL.

Wait until people think the new 7.3 gasser is either a diesel or a gas version of it.
No kidding. I hope the new 7.3 comes with a "purge mode" for when folks put diesel in it. I know the 7.3 diesel would run on mostly gasoline, a friend's wife filled his with gasoline many times and it didn't seem to care. It probably had a few gallons of diesel still mixed n, but not much more than that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: