Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford replacing 2018 5.0s?

Old 05-13-2019, 11:21 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
So, back on topic a bit. Turns out the problem I have now, is the high pressure fuel pump is shot. Doesnít explain the racket under the hood that went away, nor the current oil consumption on the new mill.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:11 AM
TJReams
Posting Guru
TJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by smokewagun View Post
TJReams, not likely Iíll bail on Ford. Just disgusted and wanting to be heard. You know the drill. My 2013 6.7L had a regen issue that had me fit to be tied. After running the warranty game, and seeing no fix, I deleted it and it was one of the best trucks Iíve had. I still would have a hard time driving a different brand. I just like Fords. This one is just trying my patience. Itíll work out. Like I said, I have a good dealer. Theyíll likely trade me out on their dime if Ford wonít help, but Iím not seeing that being needed. I really think this one was dropped on its head at birth, and has a hidden history that just hasnít revealed itself yet.
BTW, not sure what kind of mileage you drive annually, but even when mine sits, itís 35k a year. Can exceed 50k. It was 70k+ for years. At 700 a week, I really donít gave time for shop sitting a warranty truck, and fielding the 32 miles travel to the dealer and back. I can see a couple times, but this one, almost leaving me stranded... and the weekends not up, is getting old REAL fast.
Well I am retired and just work part-time takes me 6 minutes to drive to work. However I lived in D-FW area and worked on Forklifts 98% of the time at their warehouse I averaged about 60,000 miles per year and have had 2 F150s that went over 350,000 miles 1 E150 van and 2 Rangers that went over 200,000. one F250 with a 300 6 that went over 400,000. A few others that went of 150,000. That wasn't even counting the cars I owned and drove over 100,000. So yes I understand frustration, but not once have i said I was going to quit a brand with one lemon. Although I did buy my 1st wife a 78 Pinto wagon with the 2.8 liter engine. It was the worst car Ford ever produced I hated that car and it repaid me with being the only really bad Ford I ever owned. I waas so glad when it got totaled, Thankfully my wife wasn't injured, just shaken up a little.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 AM
tree10
Senior User
tree10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you are going to worry about payload on a F150 order a HDPP package and stop worrying! Just saying.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TJReams View Post
Well I am retired and just work part-time takes me 6 minutes to drive to work. However I lived in D-FW area and worked on Forklifts 98% of the time at their warehouse I averaged about 60,000 miles per year and have had 2 F150s that went over 350,000 miles 1 E150 van and 2 Rangers that went over 200,000. one F250 with a 300 6 that went over 400,000. A few others that went of 150,000. That wasn't even counting the cars I owned and drove over 100,000. So yes I understand frustration, but not once have i said I was going to quit a brand with one lemon. Although I did buy my 1st wife a 78 Pinto wagon with the 2.8 liter engine. It was the worst car Ford ever produced I hated that car and it repaid me with being the only really bad Ford I ever owned. I waas so glad when it got totaled, Thankfully my wife wasn't injured, just shaken up a little.
Glad for you and all your success. This is the first truck I had a specific plan to run and give to my son. Now itís proving to be a Piece. I donít trust it getting me to point B long term. Like I said before, some way, it was dropped on its head at birth. I have daily commitments that demand I be there, and places I have to drive thru that I really donít want to be stranded. Can it happen with a new truck? You bet, but this one is just setting a bad scene. Yesterday, I had to tell an important customer I couldnít meet them. Can it happen? Yes. It did. I just canít afford it happening anymore.
They said the high pressure fuel pump was bad. Fine. Iím concerned about the racket under the hood that was nowhere near the in-tank fuel pump? Then, what about the quart low oil level at 2,000 miles... 1,000 miles before the limit that Ford set to get me the engine replacement Iím running now? Those are the things Iím watching now. Like I said a few places in this thread already... Iím not likely to drop Ford, but I WILL drop this truck before warranty runs out. It just totally screwed me and my plans to pay it off and give it to my son.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 PM
TJReams
Posting Guru
TJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to beholdTJReams is a splendid one to behold
Smokewagon, I understand where you are coming from, I used to have to depend on mine as well. I wish you luck and post what happens, Inquireing minds need to know. I check my oil ever month. This new one was one year old, as far as me driving it on April 11th, and I have a whopping 6,558 miles on it! The 3 year old 2015 I traded in only had 20,000 miles on it. I usually get 3,000 over average on my trade in. I see my vehicles on the lot usally (if they get that far) with a asking price more than vehicles a year model newer. I've had 2 they sold that never made it to the used lot.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:33 AM
79F250XLT
New User
79F250XLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
You sure have had your share of trouble with your 5.0L, sorry to see your plans ruined.
I ordered a new F-150 with a 5.0L in April and it was built at Dearborn today. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TJReams View Post
Smokewagon, I understand where you are coming from, I used to have to depend on mine as well. I wish you luck and post what happens, Inquireing minds need to know. I check my oil ever month. This new one was one year old, as far as me driving it on April 11th, and I have a whopping 6,558 miles on it! The 3 year old 2015 I traded in only had 20,000 miles on it. I usually get 3,000 over average on my trade in. I see my vehicles on the lot usally (if they get that far) with a asking price more than vehicles a year model newer. I've had 2 they sold that never made it to the used lot.
Thanks TJ. Weíre gonna figure it out. I really want to fix a truck up the way I like it, and run the snot out of it. I just never have had that break because of the higher mileage I run a year. This current truck I had a bunch of things planned. I have a bunch of LEDís, from fogs, to headlights, to ambient interior kits, and stainless step bars, etc. that were going on 30,000 miles ago, but are sitting in boxes because of the unknown. Kind of going to go to the trash at this point because next round Iíll likely get a Lariat. My bitterness is wearing off, although itís still in the shop. I suspect itíll go back in by the end of the month for an oil change, then again mid-June with oil consumption issues again, and then Iíll just trade it off. No need for jacking up my anxiety any more. Time will tell.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 79F250XLT View Post
You sure have had your share of trouble with your 5.0L, sorry to see your plans ruined.
I ordered a new F-150 with a 5.0L in April and it was built at Dearborn today. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
Thanks for the sympathy, but in the end, itís a truck. This has been my first real trouble child in 33 years and over two dozen Ford trucks. Itís just that the timing outright stinks. Funny how that goes.
Good luck on your 5.0L. Iím not sure if my replacement engine is a 2019, or a 2018 leftover. In fact, I sometimes wonder if the engine was really replaced. No reflection on my dealer, but itís just goofy Iíve jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. There is no TSB for 2019 5.0L trucks, but check your oil frequently. I ran 28,000 miles and 10 months insisting I had a consumption issue, but was told it was ďnormalĒ. About the time I flipped a widget, the TSB was issued like magic... released that day. I have more pictures of dipsticks and oil levels and odometer readings than my iPhone can store. In the end, I might have well wiped my backside with them. They never meant crap to anyone. Keep records early. Demand service statements, and document, document, document.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:51 AM
Destroked 450
Posting Guru
Destroked 450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Destroked 450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Destroked 450 has a very good reputation on FTE.Destroked 450 has a very good reputation on FTE.
itís proving to be a Piece.
I donít trust it getting me to point B
this one is just setting a bad scene.
I had to tell an important customer I couldnít meet them.
I just canít afford it happening anymore.
They said the high pressure fuel pump was bad.
Iím concerned about the racket under the hood
I WILL drop this truck before warranty runs out.
It just totally screwed me and my plans
At this point in the game it doesn't matter if Ford fixes every issue and makes it 100% dependable for the next 100,000 miles.
You've lost confidence in the truck and don't trust it anymore.
In your own words the only thing that will regain your confidence is another vehicle, so you have 2 choices.
Spend the next few months trying to get it declared a lemon or take the hit and trade it now.

My former F-350 gave 170k miles of dependable service with only one transmission replacement, from 170k to 220k miles it blew 4 transmissions, one that had been bullet proofed costing thousands of additional dollars.
At that point I had lost all confidence in the truck, so down the road it went, replaced it with my present F-450.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
You are all over it Destroked. Iíll see what things are like when I pick it up today. Might just hang on until rebates come up. If this new mill continues to burn oil after 3,000mi on its clock, Iíd think Ford would offer something to trade me out of it. I have 16 days before itís a year old. Illinois lemon law is not helpful in my case, so I need to research and see how to take the least hit. I wish the F-150 update was close and the new 7.3L in the Super Duty was here. I just wonít run 6 more months with this.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
Well, picked it up. Technician couldnít believe it was driven in. The P0087 DTC indicated there was low fuel pressure, which I had read before I even took it in. Apparently, one of the studs holding the high pressure fuel pump in place was sheared off, and the other was almost worn through. That explains the noise. Why it ran smooth and sweet after the pump went bad is a mystery. They never reproduced the long crank start.
Now, Iím on to watching the oil consumption. If thatís an issue, then Iíll make a decision. I donít think Iíll be interested in going through another series of consumption tests or another engine replacement. If it stops, then I guess I have no recourse, and will get stuck with all the depreciation. Again, time will tell. Thanks for all the support, Guys.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 AM
79F250XLT
New User
79F250XLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the sympathy, but in the end, itís a truck. This has been my first real trouble child in 33 years and over two dozen Ford trucks. Itís just that the timing outright stinks. Funny how that goes.
Good luck on your 5.0L. Iím not sure if my replacement engine is a 2019, or a 2018 leftover. In fact, I sometimes wonder if the engine was really replaced. No reflection on my dealer, but itís just goofy Iíve jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. There is no TSB for 2019 5.0L trucks, but check your oil frequently. I ran 28,000 miles and 10 months insisting I had a consumption issue, but was told it was ďnormalĒ. About the time I flipped a widget, the TSB was issued like magic... released that day. I have more pictures of dipsticks and oil levels and odometer readings than my iPhone can store. In the end, I might have well wiped my backside with them. They never meant crap to anyone. Keep records early. Demand service statements, and document, document, document.
I thought that engine numbers had to match the VIN ? AT least it used to be like that years ago, I haven't kept pace. What numbers are on your new engine?
Should be able to get some info on engine build date/series. Sounds like you have a good relation with your Ford dealer. Did they show you the removed old block?
I also know my service manager and shop foreman for many years. I'll be talking with them in detail about their experiences with the 5.0L after I take delivery of my'19.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:23 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Well, picked it up. Technician couldnít believe it was driven in. The P0087 DTC indicated there was low fuel pressure, which I had read before I even took it in. Apparently, one of the studs holding the high pressure fuel pump in place was sheared off, and the other was almost worn through. That explains the noise. Why it ran smooth and sweet after the pump went bad is a mystery. They never reproduced the long crank start.
Now, Iím on to watching the oil consumption. If thatís an issue, then Iíll make a decision. I donít think Iíll be interested in going through another series of consumption tests or another engine replacement. If it stops, then I guess I have no recourse, and will get stuck with all the depreciation. Again, time will tell. Thanks for all the support, Guys.
Did / does Ford offer to extend the original factory warranty on the engine if it's replaced for oil consumption?

I ask because about 10 years ago, Nissan had a batch of 2.5L engines that were drinking oil. Nissan would replace the engine and then warranty it for 100,000 miles.

Remember the older 5.0's? Yes, different engine altogether but, they would religiously use a quart within 3000 miles without fail and without exception. It just seemed normal and didn't affect the engines performance.

My 2004 expy 4.6L uses a quart in 5000 miles and pretty much always has. To me it's normal and I keep oil around to refill as needed.

My 2011 3.5L was supposed to be an oil drinker or the level was supposed to rise due to oil dilution according to every fricken expert on here and neither has happened in 93K miles. SMDH.

The point is, even though the engine shouldn't use oil, is the consumption affecting performance? Perhaps adjusting the dump cycle to between 3000-5000 miles is an option. However, with just over 8 quarts of oil in the sump, I'm not so sure that I'd get too concerned about running on 7 quarts.

Please don't interpret my words as making light of your frustration because I'd be pissed too. Just wondering if it's really causing any more of an issue than inconvenience.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Did / does Ford offer to extend the original factory warranty on the engine if it's replaced for oil consumption?

I ask because about 10 years ago, Nissan had a batch of 2.5L engines that were drinking oil. Nissan would replace the engine and then warranty it for 100,000 miles.

Remember the older 5.0's? Yes, different engine altogether but, they would religiously use a quart within 3000 miles without fail and without exception. It just seemed normal and didn't affect the engines performance.

My 2004 expy 4.6L uses a quart in 5000 miles and pretty much always has. To me it's normal and I keep oil around to refill as needed.

My 2011 3.5L was supposed to be an oil drinker or the level was supposed to rise due to oil dilution according to every fricken expert on here and neither has happened in 93K miles. SMDH.

The point is, even though the engine shouldn't use oil, is the consumption affecting performance? Perhaps adjusting the dump cycle to between 3000-5000 miles is an option. However, with just over 8 quarts of oil in the sump, I'm not so sure that I'd get too concerned about running on 7 quarts.

Please don't interpret my words as making light of your frustration because I'd be pissed too. Just wondering if it's really causing any more of an issue than inconvenience.
Thanks for the thoughts. Ford does not warranty this new mill past the 60k powertrain warranty. My concern with this one is the current consumption exceeds the standard that checked the box to get the new engine. If it levels out after 3,000 miles on the engine, okay, but not any rate of consumption.
I can accept some use, although it goes entirely against my past 26 Ford motors. Iím not happy with the oil passing through the emissions controls. At some point, that WILL cost the owner, and the plan was to pass this to my son. The tailpipe looks like a smeary grimey mess, not dry carbon like the other DI engines I see.
I agree one quart of 8.8 gone isnít likely an issue. Iíve had that very discussion with the dealer. However, at what point does 20+ quarts of oil through the emissions become a problem? Thatís one quart every 5k over 100k. At 30k, Iíve run almost 75% of that thru so far.
I know any long term plan for this rig is most likely off the table. If it burns oil, or not, itíll probably stay until warranty, or really good rebates surface and a nice PCO. After driving a pregnant roller skate Escape this week as a loaner, it felt good to be in my troublesome 150. I just hate waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
I don't have a lot to add here, but I've been following this and have been genuinely surprised at the issues you've been having.

I admire your attitude, it seems like you're handling this the best way possible. Up until recently I wasn't aware of all the issues with the redesigned 5.0, perhaps this is an engine to stay away from for the next couple of years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: