Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ford replacing 2018 5.0s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ecoboost12
I think they have to take off all of the Belt Drive Accessories Alt, A/C Comp P/S Pump Water Pump all Intake air plenum, fuel related items Exhaust Manifolds off your old Engine and install it on the Long block been there done it several times, I'm glad for you they are replacing the Long Block I think they are going to be Quick there are a Crap load of problems on this forum and other forums there are allot of Unhappy customers on there Crown Jewel.
If you read the TSB, the manifolds and all the items you list stay with the old engine. There is absolutely no time in the 12 hours with the cab removal and replacement to pull the inttake and manifolds off. It gets the new high pressure fuel lines, a set of A/C O-rings, new bolts for the exhaust, engine mount bolts, cat converter bolts, and new body mount bolts. It looks like it’s a complete engine by the parts list, period.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:01 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun
If you read the TSB, the manifolds and all the items you list stay with the old engine. There is absolutely no time in the 12 hours with the cab removal and replacement to pull the inttake and manifolds off. It gets the new high pressure fuel lines, a set of A/C O-rings, new bolts for the exhaust, engine mount bolts, cat converter bolts, and new body mount bolts. It looks like it’s a complete engine by the parts list, period.
The repair is just a standard long block JL3Z-6006-A . The exhaust and intake are swapped over as is everything not included with the long block ( Pan, covers, water pump, HPFP, HP injectors and spark plugs come installed. There is a call out for the gaskets and the nuts for this process. Having done this swap and having already done this swap in a fleet truck ( Ford allows fleets to claim under certain TSB's snd powertrain warranties and do the work in house) it's a straightforward swap. You can dress and undress these engines in under an hour as everything is still new and not rusted. I will say the total repair for a single truck is not cheap. Total claim included the stupid nuts that spin is just over 9500.00. The 11.8 hours Ford gives is doable for two techs in a single day. Ford reference for just over 6k this is what Ford will ship you

Old 04-07-2019, 07:54 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Thanks. Me too. I’m taking bets on how long the backorder will be. Any thoughts?
Hmmmm, good question but I’ll say somewhere between 3-8 weeks.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:39 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by GABAR
Hmmmm, good question but I’ll say somewhere between 3-8 weeks.
The back order isn't bad but it is being fulfilled based on when the dealer got the approval number all allocations are coming from the Memphis DC. I would expect under 3 weeks for the order to be fulfilled.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:37 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The back order isn't bad but it is being fulfilled based on when the dealer got the approval number all allocations are coming from the Memphis DC. I would expect under 3 weeks for the order to be fulfilled.
Well, that’d be the end of this month. We’ll see. I assume fulfilled means packaged, and ready to ship. Then another week to get it here to Illinois.

I hope it goes well. My son is already making plans for my truck to become his. Funny how many things he wants “me” to do, so he gets it down the road JUST like HE wants it. 😉

Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Well, that’d be the end of this month. We’ll see. I assume fulfilled means packaged, and ready to ship. Then another week to get it here to Illinois.

I hope it goes well. My son is already making plans for my truck to become his. Funny how many things he wants “me” to do, so he gets it down the road JUST like HE wants it. 😉
Lol.....Smart kid......Let dad pay for everything now so it’ll be ready for him down the road. I love it.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:13 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check out Ford Tech Makuloco's Facebook today.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by T diesel
Check out Ford Tech Makuloco's Facebook today.
In the pictures he posted, it looks like an open-deck block (First pic below). I found a pic of the 2018 Gen 3 block from mustangsandfords.com HERE and the block is not a full open deck (2nd picture below)...

So...... ? Maybe the pics were just a representation? I follow that Tech and have learned a bit. Just not sure what is going on here.

EDIT: The Facebook post has since been updated to include a note that pictures are for example only and not of an actual coyote. See post 85 below

Old 04-08-2019, 11:59 AM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Well..... the first block with the damage looks a lot different than the second one. Look at the water jacket. Or maybe that was the point?

Old 04-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bedwards
Well..... the first block with the damage looks a lot different than the second one. Look at the water jacket. Or maybe that was the point?
This is why I was confused. I looked at his post on Facebook and the block pictured (first in my post above) is not a Gen 3 Coyote (second picture in post above).

EDIT I guess they were just being used to make a point as he added a disclaimer

Old 04-08-2019, 12:57 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

The second picture is the new coyote block. The first picture is not.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:09 PM
shootsenmeister
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance Ford will issue a recall on the 5.0 engines?
if not what are the best options for those of us concerned with engine life. My 2018 5.0 was bought new in June of 2018, was built in December of 2017 and already has over 20,000 miles. I bought it expecting to put at least 200,000 trouble free miles on it before selling it. I know there will be normal maintenance items like brakes, etc but an engine going out before that point is unfathomable.

My wife did not want me to get this truck as it was for her fears of it being unreliable the Tacoma I had prior could do over 300,000 with just a timing belt replacement at over 200.000.

Ill be very disappointed if my engine goes out and I get stuck paying the bill.

Please excuse me I’m just venting.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:37 PM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have any idea how many there are out there that don't have a problem? Remember, people come to these forums for help with problems. Although some of us just like to talk trucks. And no, I don't work for Ford, I just like my truck.

=]

chill

Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by shootsenmeister
Any chance Ford will issue a recall on the 5.0 engines?
if not what are the best options for those of us concerned with engine life. My 2018 5.0 was bought new in June of 2018, was built in December of 2017 and already has over 20,000 miles. I bought it expecting to put at least 200,000 trouble free miles on it before selling it. I know there will be normal maintenance items like brakes, etc but an engine going out before that point is unfathomable.

My wife did not want me to get this truck as it was for her fears of it being unreliable the Tacoma I had prior could do over 300,000 with just a timing belt replacement at over 200.000.

Ill be very disappointed if my engine goes out and I get stuck paying the bill.

Please excuse me I’m just venting.
If you’re not having an oil consumption problem then I’d say you have nothing to worry about.
With that being said, you should consider purchasing a Ford Premium ESP.
Better safe than sorry.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
[QUOTE=bedwards;18588899]Do you have any idea how many there are out there that don't have a problem? Remember, people come to these forums for help with problems. Although some of us just like to talk trucks. And no, I don't work for Ford, I just like my truck.

=]

chill[/QUOTE
I really doubt that there’s anyway to determine how many engines will have this problem because not all owners of the same year and engine will have said problems.

Quick Reply: Ford replacing 2018 5.0s?