Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Signal Stat 700 switch

Old 05-31-2018, 10:38 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Signal Stat 700 switch

I'm re-wiring my truck, and on an impulse, decided to rid myself of the shiny cheap Chinese repo signal light switch I purchased at the very beginning of my restoration project. I saw a current thread featuring a Signal Stat 700 switch. I liked the look, and without really thinking too much, I ordered a cool looking NOS unit that was offered on e-bay.

Now that it's ordered (and it's too late) I've done a little research. It looks like the 700 unit may not work for me. I have double filament bulbs in my parking and tail lights rather than separate signal lights. I really don't want to add any lights to my fenders or bumpers. Can anyone confirm that I have indeed goofed-up (again)? Thanks.

Jim

Old 05-31-2018, 10:47 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Do you know if it is 4 wire or 7 wire? Can you link the page from ebay here? 7 wire switches have extra wires that feed the unit from the brake light switch for the rear turn signal override. 4 wire switches don't have that capability, so you would need separate lamps for brakes and turn at the rear.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all52 USCG Panel is a name known to all
Thanks Wayne. I can't seem to find the original posting. It may have been taken down after the sale. The item number is 173297005777. Pictures I've seen of other 700 units seem to have 5 wires.

Jim

Old 05-31-2018, 11:27 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
I'm not quite sure how, but I just found the original listing with the photos the seller provided. I'm not able to post them here, however. Unfortunately, there appears to be only 5 wires going out.

Jim

Old 06-01-2018, 02:23 AM
TitusDH
Senior User
TitusDH has a good reputation on FTE.TitusDH has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel View Post
I'm not quite sure how, but I just found the original listing with the photos the seller provided. I'm not able to post them here, however. Unfortunately, there appears to be only 5 wires going out.

Jim

I hope it shows now? Same unit I asked about yesterday, btw. Now I see the my wires probably never have been any longer. And no, it does not interfere withe the brake circuit and is independent of other circuits.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:23 PM
KirkF
Senior User
KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.KirkF has a very good reputation on FTE.
I posted the signal stat 800 manual in the other thread. It might help you out.
Its what I'm using on my 1950 F1.

The signal stats claim to fame was that they could change your single filament parking lights into turn signals and emergency flashers without changing to a double filament bulb.
I recently bench tested my unit, and its truly amazing.

Kirk

Old 06-01-2018, 09:51 PM
way2rod
Senior User
way2rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.way2rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would suggest you use that nice unit you ordered. I would install a trailer 5 wire to 4 wire converter (see pictures below)
wire the signals to the converter car side and the brake pressure switch to the car side (red wire), then the 4 wire to your existing tail lights. The converter will give you signal and brake lights without having to add another bulb. Iíd for sure rather that old signal then the knock off chrome one..... Thatís just my 2c

Zac

Old 06-02-2018, 08:59 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Zac, thanks for coming up with a possible way forward for me! It would be great if I could get the Signal Stat switch I ordered to work with my existing light sockets. Hopefully, when shown your idea of using a 5 to 4 wire adaptor, my electrician friend will know just what to do.

Re-wiring my truck has become quite a long dragged out affair. The end is finally in sight, but we are not quite there yet. As of yesterday, the temp and oil pressure gauges were still not working, and the little turn signal marker lights in the speedometer stubbornly refuse to light on cue.

Jim

Old 06-02-2018, 07:20 PM
way2rod
Senior User
way2rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.way2rod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hope it all works out for you! Please keep us posted. I love that old panel of yours.
zac

Old 06-02-2018, 08:45 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
Hi Zac. I ran your solution by my friend, and he seemed to understand right away that it would work. I went ahead and ordered a Reese Towpower 74209 Trailer Light Converter. It looks just like the unit you have posted. The Signal Stat switch probably won't be coming until the end of next week. Thanks again for your help and interest.

Jim

Old 06-03-2018, 10:22 AM
way2rod
Senior User
Glad to hear it will work for you. As most things it’s just recycled information... someone gave to me and I’m glad I could share it. Keep up the fight with that electrical.

Zac

Old 06-12-2018, 01:29 PM
way2rod
Senior User
Hi Jim,
Sorry couldn’t post picture in pm..here is what I was talking about. Due to your positive ground you will have to reverse the wires to the relay. As I mentioned 12v relays will work on a 6v system i have used them before with no problem with lights. Since I believe that signal switch has separate front light wires you can probably get away with a Single pole single throw relay. (SPST) Hope this helps

Old 06-15-2018, 09:09 AM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
So, I'm still struggling to get the new Signal Stat switch to work. The trailer light conversion unit idea unfortunately did not work with my 6V positive ground system. Zac came up with another idea and posted an alternative solution using relays rather than diodes utilized in the trailer light converter. I was all hopeful only to find that the relays available locally did not work--9V is the minimum needed to energize them. I was able to find some 6V DPDT relays on-line, but delivery is at least 2 weeks out.

Jim

Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Seems like a lot of trouble to go thru when the correct SignalStat could take care of everything.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:16 PM
52 USCG Panel
Posting Guru
So true Ross! As mentioned, I bought the Signal Stat 700 on an impulse. For some reason my shiny Chinese repo switch was blowing fuses, so I had it in my mind to replace it. The recent signal Stat thread caught my eye, and without thinking, I ordered a 700 switch like the one I saw in the thread. I didn't do any research into wether or not it it work in my truck. Now, of course, I'm doing plenty of research and no doubt spending plenty of money, to get an old part I bought because I liked the way it looked to do what it wasn't designed to do.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Signal Stat 700 switch

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.