1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Signal Stat 700 switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 04:35 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
Thanks Zac. My truck is still positive ground.

Jim

Old 09-09-2018, 05:55 PM
way2rod
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jim,
ok I hope this helps. Here’s what I would do. Maybe run this by your mechanic friend though just for a second opinion. The one problem that I can see though is your little light on the signal itself won’t flash, rather it will stay on solid till you take the signal off. I can’t see a way around that because you need a good solid signal to your relay not a flashing signal. Also you could skip wiring the signal wires together and use only half of the relay for the rear lights but just to make things simple I thought we could go this way. I’m going to be running the same set up but 12v and negative ground and I’ll just use a 5 terminal relay. Ok here’s what I got, if someone can see something better other then buying the 900... I think we covered that, then please speak up, I got a think skin.

Steps... I’m assuming you still have positive ground if this has been changed you will have to swap wires going to terminal 13&14
1 - First disconnect yellow wire that is coming from flasher and going to signal switch this is now going to go to the relay. Now we need to get power from circuit breaker providing power to flasher and run to the stat 700 switch yellow wire. Unfortunately this will cause your green signal lights on stat 700 to stay on solid. They will not flash.
2- Wire green and white together....we will call this one green. Attach this wire to terminal 13 on right relay
3- Wire red and black together.....we will call this one red. Attach this wire to terminal 13 on Left relay
4- Run wire from known good ground to terminal 14 on both relays
5 - terminal 12 Left relay to LR tail light/ terminal 12 Right relay to RR tail light
6 - terminal 9 Left relay to LF signal light/ terminal 9 Right relay to RF signal light
7- terminal 4 on both relays wire to brake switch
8 - terminal 8 and 5 on both relays wired to flasher

Here’s the picture I got of the relay it’s for a 24v but it looked the same on the 6v this picture is just much more clear. This helps us see the terminals that are normally open and energized close. Well hope that helps keep me posted.
Zac

Old 09-09-2018, 08:02 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Thanks. I hope I'm understanding what you are trying to tell me to do. Could you give me a little clarification for step #1? I see that there is a yellow wire coming from the flasher and also the Stat 700 switch. My understanding is that these two wires should not be wired together, but rather a hot wire from the circuit breaker should be brought in and connected to the relay(s). Which terminals should be used for this connection? Should the yellow wire from the Stat 700 switch also be connected to the same terminal(s)?

I also need a little help with step #8. The flasher has 3 wires--red, brown, and yellow. Can you tell me again how these three wires are wired to connecters #8 and #5?

Thanks so much!

Jim

Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 AM
way2rod
Senior User
Hi Jim,
So you will only be using 2 of the 3 terminals on the flasher. With a test light determine which wire provides power to the flasher. My guess would be the red wire. That would leave a brown and yellow wire...... the brown wire probably goes to the old switch as a pilot wire for the indicator bulbs in your old switch - if so you will not be using this wire. The yellow wire from the flasher you will be running direct to the relay terminals as laid out in the schematic. That’s it for the flasher.

Now you need power to your switch so from the side of the circuit breaker that the flasher is tied into (you want fused power) your going to run a brand new wire to your yellow wire on your 700. That should do it. Any more questions please feel free to ask, I’ll do the best I can to explain myself.
Zac

Old 09-10-2018, 07:13 AM
way2rod
Senior User

I just noticed how horrible that schematic was I uploaded... you can’t even see it. Hope this is better
zac

Old 09-10-2018, 04:02 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Thanks for your patience, Zac. I'm a teacher, but I guess when it comes to some things--a pretty slow learner. The new schematic drawing is much better. I'm a little confused, however, by the fact that the relay contacts are numbered differently than mine.

I think you answered my questions. My understanding now is that the red flasher wire connects to the circuit breaker, and the yellow wire from the flasher is going to be wired in such a way so as to be connected to terminals 5 and 8 on both of the relays. The yellow Signal Stat switch wire is to be fused and connected to the same side of the circuit breaker as the red flasher wire.

Do I have it right? Unfortunately my friend and I can't get together again to work on the signal lights until sometime during the last week in September.

Jim

Old 09-10-2018, 04:59 PM
way2rod
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
Thanks for your patience, Zac. I'm a teacher, but I guess when it comes to some things--a pretty slow learner. The new schematic drawing is much better. I'm a little confused, however, by the fact that the relay contacts are numbered differently than mine.

I think you answered my questions. My understanding now is that the red flasher wire connects to the circuit breaker, and the yellow wire from the flasher is going to be wired in such a way so as to be connected to terminals 5 and 8 on both of the relays. The yellow Signal Stat switch wire is to be fused and connected to the same side of the circuit breaker as the red flasher wire.

Do I have it right? Unfortunately my friend and I can't get together again to work on the signal lights until sometime during the last week in September.

Jim
Hi Jim no problem at all...... wow now that I know your a teacher ill have to watch my spelling. Just kidding.... OK
I think your getting it. As far as I can tell though the numbers on your relay should be the same as the numbers on the schematic. Those were the numbers you posted before your pictures of the relay and the numbers I found online for that relay. If your worried about the order on the relay don't. as long as you hook up the wires as per the numbers it will work. If they go at the top or the bottom or middle it wont matter at all. The schematic is just laid out in a way that makes it easy for us to follow the wires.
1) As far as the flasher you got it right yellow from flasher to relay NOT to switch. //
2) You do not need to add a fuse in the wire that powers the switch just connect it to the same terminal on the circuit breaker as the red wire that feeds the flasher then that Circuit breaker should act as a fuse for your switch also.
Zac

Old 09-10-2018, 07:35 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the clarification on the numbers. I'll make my connections according to the numbers and configuration described in post 29. As mentioned, it will be awhile though before we'll know if everything works out.

You've been a great help, and I thank you for taking the time to "school" me a little on schematics and relays. I started my teaching career in 1969 just across the river and down the road from you in Detroit. I taught grades 4, 5, and 6 and drove the school bus. Those were the days. I remember that once I went to London to attend the funeral for the father of one of my students.

Jim

Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 PM
way2rod
Senior User
Hi Jim,
Glad I could help and please keep me posted. If your ever back in London drop in for a coffee!
Zac

Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Zac, you're only about 200 miles away from Abe's place in Pennsylvania. Maybe we can get together sometime at a Truckstock event and have that coffee. You're building your truck to be a "driver". What could be better than a late September road trip? The places and dates for next year's events should be announced soon after the dust settles on this year's gatherings. Abe's worked so hard to promote his Pennsylvania event this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries again next year.

Jim

Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Zac, you're only about 200 miles away from Abe's place in Pennsylvania. Maybe we can get together sometime at a Truckstock event and have that coffee. You're building your truck to be a "driver". What could be better than a late September road trip? The places and dates for next year's events should be announced soon after the dust settles on this year's gatherings. Abe's worked so hard to promote his Pennsylvania event this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries again next year.

Jim
Jim, you are my best promoter! And you're putting the pressure on me to have it next year already! LOL. And I know you want to make that trek east east with your truck. If things go well this year I just might do it again, especially if you and Bob Jones can come!

Old 09-11-2018, 02:11 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Hey Abe, I'll keep encouraging Bob, but his business keeps him pretty tied down. It's hard for him to make long range plans. As far as promoting goes, I realize how hard it is to get a group of guys together at a particular time and place. People's lives are busy and complicated and our members (with the best of intentions) can't always just pull away from the daily press of life's obligations to meet up with a bunch of internet friends with a common interest in old trucks. BJ, from St. Louis, put a lot of time and effort into his Truckfest event this spring, and in the end it had to be cancelled because of lack of participation.

I'd like to use a Truckstock (fest) event as a convient excuse to make an annual road trip with my truck for as long as I can--So I'll keep promoting them, because it takes more than one truck to make an event (at least that's what my wife thinks). Getting her blessing is of course needed for these annual road trips to happen.

Jim

Old 09-11-2018, 07:46 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Hey Abe, I'll keep encouraging Bob, but his business keeps him pretty tied down. It's hard for him to make long range plans. As far as promoting goes, I realize how hard it is to get a group of guys together at a particular time and place. People's lives are busy and complicated and our members (with the best of intentions) can't always just pull away from the daily press of life's obligations to meet up with a bunch of internet friends with a common interest in old trucks. BJ, from St. Louis, put a lot of time and effort into his Truckfest event this spring, and in the end it had to be cancelled because of lack of participation.

I'd like to use a Truckstock (fest) event as a convient excuse to make an annual road trip with my truck for as long as I can--So I'll keep promoting them, because it take more than one truck to make an event (at least that's what my wife thinks). Getting her blessing is of course needed for these annual road trips to happen.

Jim
The wife..... Well, this September your going with her so next Sept it should be your turn!

Old 03-31-2019, 03:17 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Irrational fear of failure has caused me to avoid this project all winter, but it's spring now, and I'm finally on it. Zac (Way2rod) came up with the plan. So far I've gotten the relays wired up and labeled where the wires coming out of the relays connect in the truck. Everything is nicely spread out on the diagram, but this is what Zac's plan looks like in real life:

Tomorrow my friend, the mechanic, is scheduled to come by and transplant this device into the truck. What could possibly go wrong?

Jim

Old 03-31-2019, 04:02 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have something that looks like that in my excavator. What is the purpose?

Quick Reply: Signal Stat 700 switch