Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 09:52 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I am a little jealous John. Now I want one though I no longer have any reason to have one. Maybe I need a tractor and THEN I can get a trailer? LOL I think you should start a thread on the towing characteristics of a GN Flatbed vs. 5th Wheels.

Nope nope nope.....don't miss this at all. I checked on our house in Nebraska. they have been under a blizzard warning since Sat morning until 6a this morning. My old boss probably still cusses me.
Byron, the trailer is definitely an upgrade over the bumper pull I had. It fits nicely in the shop and the overhead door is high enough I can put the CAT loader on the trailer and not worry about the clearance. I started fabricating stake pocket tie downs this weekend, waiting on the 5/8” D-rings to show up. I may have them Powder-coated when done but will probably just rattle can them.

Denver got 2 feet plus, Boulder was pushing the 3 foot mark, I25 JUST opened up between Colorado Springs and Denver and most roads East, on the plains, are still closed! Cheyenne WY apparently beat their one day snow record yesterday morning and they were still having blizzard conditions late last night!!

Old 03-15-2021, 10:29 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,529 Likes on 2,878 Posts
Meanwhile in north GA, spring is coming! Unlike "winter is coming" to the north and the land of Westeros.

The peach, pear, cherry, apple and plum trees on the other side of the pond are blooming too. Despite the forecast of rain and overcast, we are grateful for yet another beautiful day.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:20 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Your homestead @Sous , never gets old...

Think, i need batteries. Needed a jump last Wednesday and over the wknd, plugged into an outlet I found at the hotel while staying up in big bear lol..gunna permanently install a tender even with new batteries. Also foresee a day of installing a direct cable from alternator to battery and additional grounds..dig what some of you fellas have already did this..

Old 03-15-2021, 11:22 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 93 Posts
FordTruckNoob-What make is that front bumper/grill guard? Is it possible to post some additional photos? I really like the looks of it.Thanks,

Rob

Old 03-15-2021, 11:51 AM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
You are a good father Wesley, we can see that.

What you described is only one of the reasons why I walked away from an IT Administrator job after retiring from the military.

--------------------
Look at the size of this thing!

That is Kate's hand next to that YUUUUUUUUUGE frog between the dock and shore of our pond. It appears to be a Southern Leopard frog best we can tell, maybe a bullfrog.

We were out with the dogs and heard a splash in the pond and thought maybe a beaver had found his/her way up the creek from lake Hartwell. Turns out it was just this guy, chillin and enjoying the warm spring evening.
Bullfrog or river frog. Hard to say without seeing the lips/belly. I think I can make out light spots on the lip, which would make it a river frog. Leopard frogs have distinctive leopard-like spots. They also do not get that big.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:51 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Your homestead @Sous , never gets old...

Think, i need batteries. Needed a jump last Wednesday and over the wknd, plugged into an outlet I found at the hotel while staying up in big bear lol..gunna permanently install a tender even with new batteries. Also foresee a day of installing a direct cable from alternator to battery and additional grounds..dig what some of you fellas have already did this..
Timmy, you and most other FTE'rs are welcome at my home and property anytime you are out this way.

Even if you are not in your truck, this community is about the people and the relationships, not about the trucks. For me anyway... I don't need to rest my foot on the bumper and talk to another FTE'r with my truck idling to know I am grateful. The people make this forum what it is, not the truck or the engine. The trucks and engines are merely facilitators for us coming together as like minded people. Well, most of us are like minded...

I just told Jeff (BWST) in his thread that I have lost confidence in the lead acid batteries that are readily available on the market. I get it that some people get 8+ years out of a set of LA batteries, but that was not my experience. All of our vehicles have been swapped to AGM and the camper will be going to lithium once we can afford the ridiculous prices.

Even the JD lawn mower will be getting a lithium battery that I removed from my Hayabusa motorcycle before selling it.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:53 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by rjdj1186
Bullfrog or river frog. Hard to say without seeing the lips/belly. I think I can make out light spots on the lip, which would make it a river frog. Leopard frogs have distinctive leopard-like spots. They also do not get that big.
Probably a bullfrog then, I am guessing... Thanks for the expert opinion. We just thought he was pretty cool to see chillin by the dock as we were spotting for a beaver.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:28 PM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
Good eats, too, if cooked properly. Nothing's worse than greasy frog legs. Seasoned up or in some buffalo sauce they taste like chicken wings, almost. Tossed on a grill they are distinctly froggy.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:00 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Fellas with RVs....keep those furnace outlets covered with a pest screen.

This customer's furnace was DOA. The fan wouldn't spin....imagine that. Anyways, some water pressure and an air nozzle got it good as new. I guess that means mine is on the to-do list.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:20 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
RV's have more "gotchas" than homes. Anode rod, sub-par wiring, crappy welds, leaky roofs, misaligned slides, poor belly covers, POS suspension shackles, etc...

Old 03-15-2021, 07:15 PM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
I'll counter with: flooded basements, foundation cracks, root-clogged pipes, termites, garage door openers, dirty venting, gutters, old wiring, more expensive roof leaks, raccoons nesting in the attic, bats under the soffits, vinyl siding, flush valves, clogged toilets, sagging roofs, settling, deck maintenance, drywall, popcorn ceilings, ac compressors, etc...
I wouldn't say MORE things, just DIFFERENT things.
I loved living in my RV. It was easy compared to a house.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:45 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
We will settle out of court on "different".

A friend of mine told me the statement below when he called and I was working on something on/in the house.

He said "the work will be there until you sell it or burn it."

We love our home and never plan to sell. It is a lot of work, but we also enjoy most of the work that we accomplish on/around it. It is not always enjoyable, but we try to be optimistic as even the miserable work is leading toward a positive outcome.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:36 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,175 Posts
I'll counter with: flooded basements, foundation cracks, root-clogged pipes, termites, garage door openers, dirty venting, gutters, old wiring, more expensive roof leaks, raccoons nesting in the attic, bats under the soffits, vinyl siding, flush valves, clogged toilets, sagging roofs, settling, deck maintenance, drywall, popcorn ceilings, ac compressors, etc...
I built my house myself (with a lot of help from my best friends). Granted, it’s just under 20yrs old - but it causes me very little trouble. At least until I said that!!!!

Ive had a couple of nearly new RV’s and spent more time living in them than my house - towing them up to 30k miles/yr. I swear I was never bored at ‘camp’. There was ALWAYS something to fix and we aren’t even gonna talk about tires... These things were not designed for this type of use and I found EVERY weak link. My current ‘RV’ is a 7x16 Horton Hauler cargo trailer with a rooftop AC unit. It is a work in progress, but is built 10x better than the average camper and is all I need for living away from home.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:14 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Sounds all the same stuff that comes with a house RJ But yes, I do know what you mean. People's lack of education and concern will cause an RV to have issues pretty quick, especially if they go down the road quite a bit.

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I built my house myself (with a lot of help from my best friends). Granted, it’s just under 20yrs old - but it causes me very little trouble. At least until I said that!!!!

Ive had a couple of nearly new RV’s and spent more time living in them than my house - towing them up to 30k miles/yr. I swear I was never bored at ‘camp’. There was ALWAYS something to fix and we aren’t even gonna talk about tires... These things were not designed for this type of use and I found EVERY weak link. My current ‘RV’ is a 7x16 Horton Hauler cargo trailer with a rooftop AC unit. It is a work in progress, but is built 10x better than the average camper and is all I need for living away from home.
True statements for sure. It is always something. I am learning some new stuff pretty quick and it is pretty cool. Speaking of well built trailers, have you seen the "Work N Play" trailers? I always liked those. I rewired all of the electronics in one yesterday. I was surprised at how heavy duty it seemed to be.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:29 AM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,151 Likes on 627 Posts
Our current bumper pull camper was purchased new off the lot.

It was in for warranty work 3 times in the first year. Fridge, Slides, holding tanks. I swear their made by 5year olds in sweat shops.

2 years ago we replaced axles, springs, shackles, brakes, hubs and tires.

Long story short... after the cheap hub snapped at inner race where it connects to drum, lit brakes on fire, extinguisher, tow truck, we replaced everything.

Tires...

This one shredded on I 82 about 25 minutes into our 6 hour trip home. Passenger side rear. Barely heard it. Didn’t feel it. Saw the rubber chunks flying

Having said all that. We do love our trailer. I refer to it as our rolling hotel. It owes me nothing,

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***