Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,181 Likes on 669 Posts
So if you've been following along I recently had a black fuel filter, I figure rather than roll the dice on just external o-rings, and since even just that is a crap load of work just to tear into it that much... And also because I gelled up and limped a few miles down the highway to a stop I would feel better about having my injectors refreshed and gone thru by someone that knows what they are looking at. So I've started my list of while I'm there items
  • Reseal the original oil cooler orings; Clay already delivered
  • Fresh oil; already received my 5g pail of triax sideways in a box...
  • ELC; to flush out the last of my, cough cough, factory fill of coolant... Yet to be picked up locally
  • All new cooling system hoses; yet to be picked up/ordered, next day off, already have the updated upper Gates hose in hand
  • Glow plugs from Clay
  • All new boost boots from Clay with the glow plug order to replace my aging originals
  • Finally replace my original HPOP hoses with the CNC fab ones I got last summer
  • New fuel filter, also with next RiffRaff order
  • Send in TS6 to GH for 160 single shot tunes
  • Debating pulling IDM to send in to have gone thru and maybe HF/HV mod done for peace of mind while it's all down
  • Finally drain and refill the rear diff, with lube locker gasket that's been sitting next to Mobil gear oil for a year
  • All 16 new injector hold down bolts; ordered 1 each from Clay already, going to see if my Highschool friend at Fastenel can find an exact match but in 12.9 grade vs 10.9 has a max torque value of 133in#; would feel better with a higher torque value on them since I go fo a wee bit higher than stock 120in#

What else am I missing on wear items to change while pulling injectors?

Already confirmed with rebuilder they come back with all new orings and copper crush washers.

Had an email or two with GH about their limited tunes (3 actual tunes, 3 I'd call settings) even available for the TS6 with single shots, they only have "street" for singles vs 2 types of 'street" tunes for splits, which sucks because my setup currently likes towing our 5th wheel in both streets, as well as 1 and 3, and I have no use for their Extreme tune that comes on both injector versions
Once everything is in I hope to be ready to dive in head first in just 27 days from this morning. I'll be starting a thread for that adventure soon. Just wanted to get ideas on what else to get on hand beforehand from the regulars on here

Old 03-09-2021, 08:53 PM
Ridedan2
More Turbo
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Please pass along our congratulations!

Is he budman because he is a good buddy, his name is buddy or he likes Budweiser that much? Maybe another reason?
Interesting enough a long, long time ago I asked him why people called him “Bud” his answer- “because I drink Bud and smoke Bud” I don’t think I’ll ever forget that answer.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:46 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,041 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes444
So if you've been following along I recently had a black fuel filter, I figure rather than roll the dice on just external o-rings, and since even just that is a crap load of work just to tear into it that much... And also because I gelled up and limped a few miles down the highway to a stop I would feel better about having my injectors refreshed and gone thru by someone that knows what they are looking at. So I've started my list of while I'm there items
  • ELC; to flush out the last of my, cough cough, factory fill of coolant... Yet to be picked up locally
  • All new cooling system hoses; yet to be picked up/ordered, next day off, already have the updated upper Gates hose in hand
  • Glow plugs from Clay
  • All new boost boots from Clay with the glow plug order to replace my aging originals
  • Finally replace my original HPOP hoses with the CNC fab ones I got last summer
  • Debating pulling IDM to send in to have gone thru and maybe HF/HV mod done for peace of mind while it's all down
  • Finally drain and refill the rear diff, with lube locker gasket that's been sitting next to Mobil gear oil for a year
  • All 16 new injector hold down bolts; ordered 1 each from Clay already, going to see if my Highschool friend at Fastenel can find an exact match but in 12.9 grade vs 10.9 has a max torque value of 133in#; would feel better with a higher torque value on them since I go fo a wee bit higher than stock 120in#

Already confirmed with rebuilder they come back with all new orings and copper crush washers.

Had an email or two with GH about their limited tunes (3 actual tunes, 3 I'd call settings) even available for the TS6 with single shots, they only have "street" for singles vs 2 types of 'street" tunes for splits, which sucks because my setup currently likes towing our 5th wheel in both streets, as well as 1 and 3, and I have no use for their Extreme tune that comes on both injector versions
Once everything is in I hope to be ready to dive in head first in just 27 days from this morning. I'll be starting a thread for that adventure soon. Just wanted to get ideas on what else to get on hand beforehand from the regulars on here
- RDP plenum inserts and upgrade those (4) clamps.

- at least rebuild filter drain valve if not full filter rebuild

- billet t-stat housing and new Motorcraft t-stat.

- remove clamps from fuel lines in valley

- AIH delete plug

- billet compressor wheel, up-pipes, etc (maybe already done?)

- I like to remove the water pump outlet to R&R the oil cooler. Good plan to have an o-ring for that

- add a 3/4” PEX barbed ball valve to heater core supply? Need a CoolShot? (I have a few left from bulk order last year)

- $0.52 mod

- I didn’t see any PAINT on the list!!??

Old 03-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,181 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
- RDP plenum inserts and upgrade those (4) clamps.
Done long ago
- at least rebuild filter drain valve if not full filter rebuild
Done with flourosilicone o-rings
- billet t-stat housing and new Motorcraft t-stat.
On shelf
- remove clamps from fuel lines in valley
I insulated it years ago
- AIH delete delete
Running my water meth kit thru that
- billet compressor wheel, up-pipes, etc (maybe already done?)
That was my introductory drug to PMS
- I like to remove the water pump outlet to R&R the oil cooler. Good plan to have an o-ring for that
Will have to look into that
- add a 3/4” PEX barbed ball valve to heater core supply?
Will transfer mine to the new hose
Need a CoolShot? (I have a few left from bulk order last year)
Not a bad idea, thought all were sold off
- $0.52 mod
Since I did it years ago would inflation make it a $1.70 mod?
- I didn’t see any PAINT on the list!!??
That was done years ago too
10 characters....

Old 03-10-2021, 08:06 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,584 Likes on 2,907 Posts
  • Glow plugs from Clay

Wesley, it doesn't appear that we will be in OK by the time you start turning a wrench. I wish you the best of luck from a distance though and will be glad to see the shiny parts and hear the ones I cannot see soon enough!

You and I have texted about this many times and you know my further suggestions or ideas. Jason has mentioned a few below, which I know you have covered in method or in reality. I am looking forward to your thoughts on the injectors of your choice and feel that your thoughts will be a big factor for what I end up choosing. You and I have a lot in common, including the use of our trucks.

I wish you the best of luck sir and apologize for not being there in person to help.

Originally Posted by Ridedan2
Interesting enough a long, long time ago I asked him why people called him “Bud” his answer- “because I drink Bud and smoke Bud” I don’t think I’ll ever forget that answer.
That is what I figured, but didn't want to assume I was on target. Thanks for sharing the story with us Dan.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:39 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
10 characters....
I figured you were on all that!! I forget what people have done and mobile app does not show signatures so I just tossed it all on the fire!!!

Old 03-10-2021, 09:37 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 641 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
@SDElwood How long is your GN? I’m heading out to Fayetteville next week to buy a new one. I keep going back and forth between a 24' or a 26’. He’s got a 30’ with a 20K GVWR that he says he’ll make me a killer deal on but 30’ makes getting in and out of places a potential issue.
THat one is 28. I had a 24 and it was just a bit short for stuff. 26 wouldn't be a bad happy medium.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:34 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Good day to everyone!

Still waiting on generator plumbing parts to be delivered by USPS. They are somewhere between my home and ATL, which is 2 hours south. But, they have been there for a week. I have other things to keep me busy, but I am looking forward to finishing the generator conversion.

Originally Posted by SDElwood
THat one is 28. I had a 24 and it was just a bit short for stuff. 26 wouldn't be a bad happy medium.
@SDElwood was your journey a good one and you returned with more than you left with, or did you have to pass?

Old 03-11-2021, 06:46 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,707 Likes on 1,005 Posts
It is almost time for the Centurion to have another birthday party.
Almost 23yo
Just rolled 84,000 miles

Old 03-11-2021, 08:03 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,030 Likes on 2,000 Posts
A conversation with a friend this morning has highlighted potentially aberrant behavior on my part. Do you guys take newly received truck parts to bed with you the first night you have them? You know, to inspect for defects. *ahem*

Old 03-11-2021, 08:06 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
A conversation with a friend this morning has highlighted potentially aberrant behavior on my part. Do you guys take newly received truck parts to bed with you the first night you have them? You know, to inspect for defects. *ahem*
It is only a problem if you feel it is a problem...

You do you, just don't do the "parts"... Just sayin... Brah...

Old 03-11-2021, 08:39 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
It’s only weird if you make it weird.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:46 AM
slowsure
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When things get weird, the weird go pro!

Old 03-11-2021, 12:12 PM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm guessing your wife is still out of town?

Old 03-11-2021, 12:21 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by slowsure
When things get weird, the weird go pro!
Originally Posted by rjdj1186
I'm guessing your wife is still out of town?

__________________________________________________ __

My new concealed carry permit arrived in the mail today, good day!

$30 and 5 minutes at the county probate office and done!

Also transferred older whole house generator gasoline to the riding lawn mower. Put more insulation up in the basement joists and now it is beer and chilling out time.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***