Old 03-18-2021, 09:23 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,030 Likes on 2,000 Posts
Old 03-18-2021, 10:21 AM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
I had a HUGE black snake I would regularly remove from my chicken coop (with egg bumps) for 2 years. I figured a few eggs was a small price for a snake eating snake in my barn. But then he got in my chick cage and went on a killing spree, dead chicks everywhere. I had to relocate him a few miles down the road. Not long after, I killed a copperhead in my barn that I nearly stepped on. I should have just bought some smaller mesh wire for the chick cage.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:34 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
On the lawnmower/maintenance topic, I broke my grease gun the other day... I think I want a cordless electric grease gun. This would also make it easier for Mom to grease her stuff. Any suggestions?
If you have cordless tools they most likely make a grease gun for it. I use a Dewalt it works for everything I’ve needed it to do, I still have a pump gun for the occasional zerk.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-18-2021, 11:07 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,584 Likes on 2,907 Posts
An electric grease gun like what Paul (AllAboutMPG) posted is a great tool to have in your inventory if you need to use it a lot or someone like Jason's mom needs to use it. We are always amazed at how well she gets around, even at her young age. During the last GTG up there, she was picking up firewood until Eric and I insisted we take over that chore.

Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
I think I remember you saying something about that a little while back.

Originally Posted by rjdj1186
I had a HUGE black snake I would regularly remove from my chicken coop (with egg bumps) for 2 years. I figured a few eggs was a small price for a snake eating snake in my barn. But then he got in my chick cage and went on a killing spree, dead chicks everywhere. I had to relocate him a few miles down the road. Not long after, I killed a copperhead in my barn that I nearly stepped on. I should have just bought some smaller mesh wire for the chick cage.
Black racers are great at keeping rodents away. We have had first had experiences with copperhead snakes I would say 4 out of the 10.5 years we have been here. The pond and woods attract them and that is all part of living near water. I bought a 7' "snake grabber" which is basically a robust and really long set of tongs. They have paid for themselves many times over as they allow people like me to wrangle a snake easily and quickly in order to dispatch it or relocate it.

Our elderly Doberman was bit by a juvenile copperhead which can be and often is worse than an adult because they cannot control the venom as much and go all in. She had massive swelling on her muzzle and some discomfort, but was OK about 48 hours later. I think it was RacinJasonWV that had a relative or friend that had nearly fatal symptoms from a copperhead though, so clearly the venom affects the victim differently. We did some research when she was bit and it said that the copperhead is not deadly like the rattlesnake, but can be in some situations.

--------------------------------------------

Good day so far!

The sun is out and drying up the rain storm we had last night.

We went to our local mom and pop hardware store and bought the last 2 fittings I need for the generator tri-fuel conversion. I bought some 3/8" MNPT x 1/2" barb as the 1/2" barb fit the hose better than the 3/8" barb. I should have some pictures up of the final product and thoughts on the generator running on propane shortly after we return from our beach camping trip.

An old motorcycle crash injury (someone turned left in front of me) was aggravated on Tuesday and I have been stubborn in nursing it. Today we went to Walgreens and bought a wrist support in order to stop me from further damaging it while it is aggravated. I suspect I will need surgery one day, but I will hold off on that as long as I can.

Have a good day folks and the weekend is almost here!

Old 03-18-2021, 01:11 PM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,173 Likes on 639 Posts

The nest is about 2-1/2 feet across.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:20 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Since we are 95% packed for the trip this weekend and the sun came out to turn it into a beautiful day, Kate decided to plant some more raspberry bushes on the property.

I said screw the wrist brace and pain and decided to finish the generator tri-fuel conversion. This served two purposes...

1. I will need the garage space to swap SXE turbos when we return from our beach camping trip.
2. I have been curious to see how the Westinghouse iGen 2500 runs on propane.

I mocked everything up, got all the hoses and fittings sorted out and started at permanently mounting and connecting everything.

Supposedly the generator will be down about 10% in maximum power if run on propane or natural gas. Once everything was connected and the generator was running on propane, I ran it at 2300 watts (rated at 2500 watts continuous) continuous and it ran just fine. I am very happy with the results.

This gives us the capability to run the generator on gasoline, propane or natural gas. We have about 100 lbs of propane when we are with the 5th wheel and prefer not to carry a gasoline can.

I set the feeder hose to be able to connect to a 20 lbs propane tank or the 5th wheel quick connect propane line.

Super easy and secure to use 3/8" gas rated quick connects. I like them so much, I may convert my air compressor hoses to them instead of the 1/4".

What a fun and capability expanding project this turned out to be!

I definitely plan to accomplish this conversion on the 9000 whole house generator we have as well, but that will be in the fall or winter I am sure. I think I will build the kit for that one using the existing low pressure regulator, hose and high pressure regulator from this kit. That will cut cost way down and since I will never have to use both at one time, it just makes sense.

Everything bundled up with travel caps inserted.

The yellow arrow points to the new gasoline shutoff valve. I cut the hoke just big enough so that i can turn it with two fingers.

Top view of everything bundked up. I will use some sort if reusable tie to keep the hose safe.

Low pressure regulator placed on the generator. I built a mount that simply slips over the handle for ease of use.

Generator running on propane.

Propane tank supplying gas to the generator.

Back view if the generator running on propane.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:15 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,520 Likes on 981 Posts
Sweet setup there!

probably pointless emailing my dem senators but here

http://url6084.gunownersamerica.com/...fNjJTeIQ-3D-3D

http://url6084.gunownersamerica.com/...qtnbfzRA-3D-3D

Old 03-18-2021, 06:03 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Did some fabrication a while back, made an axle cradle for changing a flat tire on the camper. This way I can lift the axle without crushing it and only need to lift the axle a couple inches, no axle droop, to change a flat!

Old 03-18-2021, 06:21 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
I also fabricated some stake pocket tie downs today. PJ uses a 3.5” stake pocket so I had add a 1/2” “spacer” to 3” C channel I used for the stake. I used 5/8” D-rings rated at 18K each.

Top portion is a “semi-finished” to show the 3” C channel and the 1/2” spacer.

Preparing to weld the D ring on the stake.

Extremely snug fit with very little play.

1/2” holes to secure the stake.

Painted and backside view of 1/2” spacer.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:07 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,030 Likes on 2,000 Posts
Old 03-18-2021, 07:13 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
Sweet setup there!

probably pointless emailing my dem senators but here

http://url6084.gunownersamerica.com/...fNjJTeIQ-3D-3D

http://url6084.gunownersamerica.com/...qtnbfzRA-3D-3D
We just had a little scuttlebutt here in PA and GOA stepped up and took care of it again. They're my number one advocate these days.

Colorado350, the fab work looks great. I wish I had welding skills and I need to get out there and practice some.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:15 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Ouch in the wallet! Be funny to have some hidden cameras and take it to the dealership and see if they would covered under warranty. LOL
yeah It just has no power I heard a boom and then everything just kind of went dead...

Old 03-18-2021, 07:48 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I saw that last night or the night as I check Jalopnik each night before sleep. They have some pretty good stories on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
We just had a little scuttlebutt here in PA and GOA stepped up and took care of it again. They're my number one advocate these days.
Mark, I never decided on a 2A organization to send a donation to even after our PM's and conversation about the options available. I still cannot get behind LaPierre as I believe to my core is an *******. I was hoping during their "restructuring" that they would replace him, but not as of yet that I have seen.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:13 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I saw that last night or the night as I check Jalopnik each night before sleep. They have some pretty good stories on a regular basis.

Mark, I never decided on a 2A organization to send a donation to even after our PM's and conversation about the options available. I still cannot get behind LaPierre as I believe to my core is an *******. I was hoping during their "restructuring" that they would replace him, but not as of yet that I have seen.
Many of us feel that way and it is a shame what he has done to us.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:24 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350
I also fabricated some stake pocket tie downs today. PJ uses a 3.5” stake pocket so I had add a 1/2” “spacer” to 3” C channel I used for the stake. I used 5/8” D-rings rated at 18K each.

Top portion is a “semi-finished” to show the 3” C channel and the 1/2” spacer.

Preparing to weld the D ring on the stake.

Extremely snug fit with very little play.

1/2” holes to secure the stake.

Painted and backside view of 1/2” spacer.
Brother,I think you have been hiding your fab skills a little too long. If I had a trailer anymore, these would be first on my list for hauling. Those welds are excellent.....I mean, as long as they hold

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***