*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 07:17 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
Maybe this will liven up the thread????

My coffee sucks this morning, not buying Walmart brand again. Usually im happy with Cheap, hot and black...but

Anyone have a good method for metal gas tank repair? specifically vintage dirt bikes?

1981 JR50 suzuki

https://youtu.be/5wJOnGraI

Picked this up for free awhile back from original owner(friend of mine, did some work for him) Got it running but rear part of tank has a line of rust that leaks fuel. Reading about liners people dont reccomend because of modern gas. This bike will not see ethanol. Im thinking of trying to clean up, prep for welding etc. But im afraid it might be too thin and ill wind up burning thru and making hole larger. Anyone have some experience they can weigh in with? Epoxy? Duct tape? Liberal tears? Bacon?
I have a bottle of this that you can have for free just so I can get it out of here. I was going to use it on my old 3HP boat engines but decided not to. You'll need to clean the inside of the tank with chemicals first.

Gas Tank Sealer

Old 07-21-2021, 07:21 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 641 Likes on 345 Posts
My shop restores British cars, we've had good luck using liner in tanks that are no longer made. Specifically we use Red Kote. Haven't had any ethanol problems reported from my customers.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:31 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,041 Likes on 1,209 Posts

My coffee sucks this morning, not buying Walmart brand again. Usually im happy with Cheap, hot and black...but

Anyone have a good method for metal gas tank repair? specifically vintage dirt bikes?

1981 JR50 suzuki

Picked this up for free awhile back from original owner(friend of mine, did some work for him) Got it running but rear part of tank has a line of rust that leaks fuel. Reading about liners people dont reccomend because of modern gas. This bike will not see ethanol. Im thinking of trying to clean up, prep for welding etc. But im afraid it might be too thin and ill wind up burning thru and making hole larger. Anyone have some experience they can weigh in with? Epoxy? Duct tape? Liberal tears? Bacon?
Consider using vinegar or electrolysis to clean the tank. Repairs are probably best accomplished with brazing. Red Kote is good stuff, but non-ethanol gasoline and storing with a FULL tank (and Stabil, etc) is probably a good alternative. Beware of mixing liberal tears and bacon - the reaction may be unexpectedly strong!

Old 07-21-2021, 07:35 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

1981 JR50 suzuki

Are you attempting to keep the original paint on the tank?

I would braze the seam. Clean the paint off, fill the tank with water and (if you have oxy/acetylene tanks) seal the seam.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:42 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,520 Likes on 981 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I have a bottle of this that you can have for free just so I can get it out of here. I was going to use it on my old 3HP boat engines but decided not to. You'll need to clean the inside of the tank with chemicals first.

Gas Tank Sealer
Thank you, I would gladly pay you something for it, I can pm you adress etc. I not sure if the holes might be too big.

I got the video to work this time, seemed the damn link created an emoji or something weird. You can see the leak here. There another small one just dribbling out right near this one.

Originally Posted by SDElwood
My shop restores British cars, we've had good luck using liner in tanks that are no longer made. Specifically we use Red Kote. Haven't had any ethanol problems reported from my customers.
This bike will never see ethanol under my watch

Originally Posted by mecdac
Are you attempting to keep the original paint on the tank?

I would braze the seam. Clean the paint off, fill the tank with water and (if you have oxy/acetylene tanks) seal the seam.
If at all possible i want to keep the original paint since it is in such good shape. I hate to have an awful looking paint touch up across the bottom if i can help it.
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Consider using vinegar or electrolysis to clean the tank. Repairs are probably best accomplished with brazing. Red Kote is good stuff, but non-ethanol gasoline and storing with a FULL tank (and Stabil, etc) is probably a good alternative. Beware of mixing liberal tears and bacon - the reaction may be unexpectedly strong!
Would you just fill with vinegar/water and let sit for a day or so?

the inside of the tank is actually clean and mostly debris free. Its just rusted where the last bit of fuel doesnt drain from the petcock and sits at the rear corner of the tank. It was last ridden in about 1986 so it sat for a LONG time and my guess is thats to blame.

​​​​​​​

Old 07-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,584 Likes on 2,907 Posts
We returned home today from our camping trip to the lake and the pond was full! Full and coming over the spillway as it should!

@AllaboutMPG We can get you and your BIL back on the schedule to come bass fishing soon!

Chris, as I told you via text, be careful on that little SOB. My brother nearly died when he crashed his mini-bike. He is kind of a jackass though, so there is that...

Old 07-21-2021, 02:54 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Thank you, I would gladly pay you something for it, I can pm you adress etc. I not sure if the holes might be too big.

I got the video to work this time, seemed the damn link created an emoji or something weird. You can see the leak here. There another small one just dribbling out right near this one.
link fixed i think?

This bike will never see ethanol under my watch

If at all possible i want to keep the original paint since it is in such good shape. I hate to have an awful looking paint touch up across the bottom if i can help it.

Would you just fill with vinegar/water and let sit for a day or so?

the inside of the tank is actually clean and mostly debris free. Its just rusted where the last bit of fuel doesnt drain from the petcock and sits at the rear corner of the tank. It was last ridden in about 1986 so it sat for a LONG time and my guess is thats to blame.

PM me the address and just pass the deal on to someone else when the opportunity arises. Others have done the same for me and I believe in karma. Besides, we don't even know if it will work for you. I'm just glad to have it off of my shelf and not have to take it to paint disposal.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-21-2021, 06:35 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
We returned home today from our camping trip to the lake and the pond was full! Full and coming over the spillway as it should!

@AllaboutMPG We can get you and your BIL back on the schedule to come bass fishing soon!...
Jeff, great news about the pond. So glad it worked out so well.

I'll get with Robert and then you to get a date scheduled. Really looking forward to it.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:57 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,181 Likes on 669 Posts
Good news to come back to things better than ya left it. Now you can work on the lawn mower and Subaru windshield

Old 07-21-2021, 07:23 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Jeff, great news about the pond. So glad it worked out so well.

I'll get with Robert and then you to get a date scheduled. Really looking forward to it.
Sounds good Paul. We are never selling this place, so we will be here for a while.

Originally Posted by Wes444
Good news to come back to things better than ya left it. Now you can work on the lawn mower and Subaru windshield
Absolutely Wesley!

Even the grass seed we put down is doing well due to rain just about every day since we left to go camping. I called to confirm the Subaru windshield was in and they are installing the UV blocking tint tomorrow before the appointment on Friday.

GFML and I hope everyone else has a good rest of their week!

Old 07-22-2021, 05:38 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,030 Likes on 2,000 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous

I called to confirm the Subaru windshield was in and they are installing the UV blocking tint tomorrow before the appointment on Friday.
I may have to go down to your glass shop to get my windshield changed the next time it breaks. They won't put tint on the windshield around here unless you have a prescription. Not even if it is 99% clear.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:56 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
I may have to go down to your glass shop to get my windshield changed the next time it breaks. They won't put tint on the windshield around here unless you have a prescription. Not even if it is 99% clear.
In PA we do have limits on tint but I am not sure exactly what they are. If a PA snowbird comes home with FL tint on their windows on their PA registered vehicle they are subject to getting a ticket for it.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:16 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
I have two shops now actually... This is the first time I have had a windshield tinted by the somewhat local shop (next small town over), but they have tinted side windows for me in the past. Since the windshield is out, new and not yet installed, they are only charging for the tint, not the installation of the tint. Good, small town people that are nice to deal with.

The other shop I use to tint a windshield that is in the car is up in Greenville SC, about an hour from here. It was nothing for me to buzz over there during lunch when I was active duty still. That guy is an absolute master of tinting and been doing it 40+ years.

He is the one that did the truck and it made a big difference.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
In PA we do have limits on tint but I am not sure exactly what they are. If a PA snowbird comes home with FL tint on their windows on their PA registered vehicle they are subject to getting a ticket for it.
Ya, there is that risk. But, this stuff looks clear for the most part. You really need to look hard to see there is tint there. The benefit comes from the ceramic properties that block 99% UV rays. Driving down the road in full sun after an hour, put you hand on the dashboard and it is inky slightly warm. Really makes a difference and no hindrance to vision at night either.

Sometimes I see people with dark or medium dark tint on their windshield, no thanks...

The next time I post a picture of my truck, look at the windshield. It looks clear, but there is tint there. Heck, when I post a picture of any of our vehicles, except for the VW, there is tintbth the windshield.

If I get a ticket, I will own up to it. But, I don't see that as being a risk with the tint we are applying.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-22-2021, 09:06 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,041 Likes on 1,209 Posts
We took my boat to lake for a quick test of tune-up parts with a borrowed truck. I apparently misunderstood the instructions about fuel level gauge operation and truck ran out of fuel backed down the ramp and wouldn’t start. Some friends I haven’t seen since our kids were little were taking their boat out of the lake right then and drug us out of the ramp (at least it was a 7.3 to the rescue - I accepted the ribbing for driving a broken Dodge...). My kid brought us some fuel and the borrowed truck was fine. We just had to hang out at the lake for awhile. The best part is old friends have a nice, larger ski boat and love to wake surf - something we can’t do with my ‘little’ boat. I taught this couple to ride the Sky Ski many years ago and they are anxious to ride again and want me to teach their (now grown up) kids!! Overall it was an awesome ‘breakdown’. GFML.

I put new tires on the ‘47 yesterday and hopefully the right cap/rotor/points will be here today. Pulled the seat out and found the top of the gas tank is full of holes... Guess I’ll be looking for a beer keg or something to make a gas tank out of!

Checking to see if the cab chassis flip truck in the yard has 4.10 gears in it this AM. If it does, we’ll be swapping that whole rear axle under my truck today so my junk gets back on the road!

Old 07-22-2021, 09:20 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
An awesome breakdown are the best kind to have!

The beer keg is a great idea... You could mount it in the bed like you are on your way to a tailgater or a big bash with a keg of beer, but there is fuel in it!

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***