Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 05:41 PM
Brian Hanks
Fleet Mechanic
Received 469 Likes on 238 Posts
U know you got a good woman…

One of the steers was nonweightbearing lame late last night. we had him in the chute this morning medicating and examining him.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Great looking barn! Are the stall doors wide enough to get a BobCat in & out (though you have what looks like rubber trailer type flooring which will make hand fork cleaning easier). Even with rubber flooring in stalls a good layer of wood shavings helps absorb urine and provides bedding. I found in the trainers facility I helped at that an asphalt alleyway works amazingly well here in Colorado and is easy to maintain. Do I see indoor auto waterers there? Great labor savers!

Old 12-26-2020, 07:46 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Shoot, businesses and schools will close down here if there is snow forecasted. The state and cities just don't have the equipment to maintain the roads like they do in the north. A couple of years ago we had "snowmagedon" and people were stuck on the interstate overnight because the snow and ice came in fast.

Those of us experienced in driving or living in snowy conditions stay home because the others that are not are very dangerous to be around.
Our area has plenty of plow and salt equipment. The road at the end of my driveway was plowed and salted by 9AM and the tertiary street across the field was done a short time later. You could drive on those roads with no problem. Sweetheart Lane was an ice rink and no amount of ‘experience’ will help that. There are MANY private roads like ours in our area and most of them descend down a mountain that should have never had a road in the first place. The city/county/state do not maintain these roads. The schools will not risk a car full of kids rolling off a cliff to go to school on the few days a year this could happen.

‘Snowmageddon’ in Atlanta a few years ago was also an ICE situation. Conditions changed from rain to below freezing during the day and there was up to 2” of ice on the roads. MILLIONS of people (literally) were at work/school when this happened. The forecasters missed the boat - big time. Every major artery was quickly blocked with spun out cars and big trucks. Someone’s driving skills are useless if you are STUCK on the highway surrounded by cars. There was nowhere to go. Not even pull off the road. It was a bad deal, but some of the stories that came out of that melt my heart. GOOD people taking strangers into their homes and individuals and restaurants taking coffee and food to stranded vehicles.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:58 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,531 Likes on 2,880 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Our area has plenty of plow and salt equipment. The road at the end of my driveway was plowed and salted by 9AM and the tertiary street across the field was done a short time later. You could drive on those roads with no problem. Sweetheart Lane was an ice rink and no amount of ‘experience’ will help that. There are MANY private roads like ours in our area and most of them descend down a mountain that should have never had a road in the first place. The city/county/state do not maintain these roads. The schools will not risk a car full of kids rolling off a cliff to go to school on the few days a year this could happen.

‘Snowmageddon’ in Atlanta a few years ago was also an ICE situation. Conditions changed from rain to below freezing during the day and there was up to 2” of ice on the roads. MILLIONS of people (literally) were at work/school when this happened. The forecasters missed the boat - big time. Every major artery was quickly blocked with spun out cars and big trucks. Someone’s driving skills are useless if you are STUCK on the highway surrounded by cars. There was nowhere to go. Not even pull off the road. It was a bad deal, but some of the stories that came out of that melt my heart. GOOD people taking strangers into their homes and individuals and restaurants taking coffee and food to stranded vehicles.
Jason's account of snowmagedon is more accurate than mine I am sure. I was still active duty at the time and trying to figure out how to get home safely 60 miles on side roads because I-85 was a mess and impassible.

Good to hear you GA mountain folk have plows and salt equipment, down here in GA low country we do not and just hole up at home due to people that cannot drive in the rain, let alone in the snow.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:39 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,481 Likes on 964 Posts
I was working in chattanooga for “snowmagedon” unfortunately i missed out on the fun! Driving the 2wd dually to the job site was interesting!

Old 12-26-2020, 08:54 PM
Ridedan2
More Turbo
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
The weather here over the last week and a half went from 10* to 3 feet of snow, on to 50*’s and 3 inches of rain and serous flooding back to 20*’s and ice. Typical for this neck of the woods, I live in a rather unique area weather wise.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:23 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,158 Likes on 659 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
We will make it through. They are warming up the dryers again now on the paper machine, and we should make another run at making paper in about 2 hours. Who knows? Perhaps tonight will be the night.
Hopefully you get those steam lines warmed back up without hammering. We just had an incident during shutdown where a 15# line that ran outside was valved out when was 22*. Opened it up slowly but I guess they had an issue with the bleed valves or warm-up lines and the whole 12" line hammered really bad and blew apart an upstream valve. Ended up having to shut the main valve at our power plant and took all our paper machines down till they got a replacement valve rushed in.

It's always "fun" in winter walking thru the mezzanine or supply fan rooms and noticing a steam condensate leak 40' up condenses and then turns to snow...

Hope you get it over the reel without issue

Old 12-27-2020, 05:49 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,995 Likes on 1,977 Posts
Originally Posted by FinnishStroker
Winter "surprises" drivers every year in Finland too..

@FinnishStroker , that looks pretty deliberate to me.

Originally Posted by Dan V
That was far from typical.....40 degrees, light rain....falling temps, snow....a sheet of ice on the roads and 0 degrees. It was slippery! The road out of the metro area were in far better conditon than inside the loop.
Well then they should have stayed home or driven with greater care.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:04 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,661 Likes on 984 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridedan2
The weather here over the last week and a half went from 10* to 3 feet of snow, on to 50*’s and 3 inches of rain and serous flooding back to 20*’s and ice. Typical for this neck of the woods, I live in a rather unique area weather wise.
Exact same here, just south west of you. Crazy weather.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:34 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 831 Likes on 474 Posts

Snowmageddon was EPIC! Wish I had a camera running as we were dodging stuck vehicles for hours in the heart of ATL. Was this....close to ramming abandoned vehicles off the road to get out of the city. The last cars we dodged had only about 6 inches of clearance on either side of our trucks. Glad im from Michigan, lots of practice.

Old 12-27-2020, 07:48 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by brokestroke
Snowmageddon was EPIC! Wish I had a camera running as we were dodging stuck vehicles for hours in the heart of ATL. Was this....close to ramming abandoned vehicles off the road to get out of the city. The last cars we dodged had only about 6 inches of clearance on either side of our trucks. Glad im from Michigan, lots of practice.
I forgot you were in there! I remember reading your posts about that now...

The guy with the house closest to us out in the country laughed one time when we said we were going to a Christmas show one year when we had 3" of snow on the ground. He said you can't go anywhere in this weather. He is 74 now and was born and raised in GA. We have lived in climates very cold climates from AK, NE, IA, ID and Korea. I told him we would be fine as I fired up the Subaru and we headed up the hill and off onto the county road which leads to the highway.

Nowadays most people cannot even take their eyes off their cell phones while they are driving, let alone make split second decisions in inclement weather. Good thing we enjoy being hermits...

Old 12-27-2020, 09:19 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes444
Hopefully you get those steam lines warmed back up without hammering. We just had an incident during shutdown where a 15# line that ran outside was valved out when was 22*. Opened it up slowly but I guess they had an issue with the bleed valves or warm-up lines and the whole 12" line hammered really bad and blew apart an upstream valve. Ended up having to shut the main valve at our power plant and took all our paper machines down till they got a replacement valve rushed in.

It's always "fun" in winter walking thru the mezzanine or supply fan rooms and noticing a steam condensate leak 40' up condenses and then turns to snow...

Hope you get it over the reel without issue
Thanks, Wes... our Pulp Dryer has been down for almost 5 days, completely unable to get the sheet threaded into the dryer section, but they finally got it into the cutter this morning. Machine is very close... got to Dryer 59 this morning and the pickup roll lifted for "no reason"... pecking away at the glitches as we find them. Perhaps we can get on the reel today..

I was working in Birmingham during Snowmegeddon. Actually left the house that morning to drive down to Selma for a couple of meetings with a client. I had planned on spending the night in Selma, but they sent us home after the meetings. What was normally a 1 hr 40 min drive took 6 hours to get back home. The first 40 minutes only took 45 minutes, but the last 1 hr took over 5 hrs, and I could not even get into my neighborhood - had to get a neighbor with a 4wd come bring me the last 3 miles to the house. It was a full two days before we could get back out due to a jack-knifed trailer on one road and ice on the other hilly road out..

Old 12-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Sunday is normally our family rest day, but this weekend we are lucky to have a cousin over to visit. She us an active duty Marine at Parris Island and we are happy to provide her a getaway location to chill out.

So, while they talk and do whatever it is they do, I decided to modify our 15 year old PS3. When going at 100% computing power, it sounds like a turbine jet engine on a A-10 ready for take off. I am going to try and remedy that a bit.

Hot chocolate in a pastel purple mug helps on 20° mornings.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:52 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 602 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
@FinnishStroker , that looks pretty deliberate to me.

Well then they should have stayed home or driven with greater care.
I blame MNDOT...they've had this policy of "Dry Roads" for years now.....throw enough salt and other chemicals down to melt everything (even steel) and get the rods dry. There's at least a generation of drivers that don't know how to drive unless MNDOT does their job.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:59 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 93 Posts
Finally found some time to get going on a heated sump that will go below a 60 gallon wvo aluminum checker plate tank. Picture shows the pressure test in action on where the coolant will pass thru. Pressure held overnight at 94 psi so I would pass this as a successful test. This whole unit will get welded below and will preheat the wvo prior to going to the diesel motor. More pics to follow as progress is made.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***