Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 11:51 AM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
I have alot of trouble with the iron sight on my 30/30. I now wear bifocals, and can't get the rear sight, front sight, and target in focus at the same time.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:53 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I was seated at a bench with the gun resting on the mag for support. I want to be sure that the sight is dialed in before I start trying for standing unsupported. Once it's sighted in well that'll be my next step.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:55 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by rjdj1186
I have alot of trouble with the iron sight on my 30/30. I now wear bifocals, and can't get the rear sight, front sight, and target in focus at the same time.
Blurry front blade is the result of old age and many of us talk about it with no remedy. I'm good for a few shots before I start to blur out.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:15 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,998 Likes on 1,188 Posts
...can't get the rear sight, front sight, and target in focus at the same time.
Yeah, that was my complaint. Doc comes in after the exam and said ‘you want to know what causes that?’ - ‘Birthdays’. He thought it was funnier than I did.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:21 PM
Brian Hanks
Fleet Mechanic
Received 475 Likes on 240 Posts
Just had a few minutes. If you guys want to track things this is the best website we know of “that you will have access to at least”.
it lets you sort all kinds of different ways. I have it set on countries. But it can break down for more than that.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Old 03-21-2020, 01:07 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,560 Likes on 2,889 Posts
In my opinion if you are trying to get an optic set in, the best thing to do is use a lead sled, but that is expensive as well as inconvenient. I use a support method that will be nearly identical no matter what range you are shooting a target from. I use a stack of firewood that is about 4' tall with a gallon bag of pinto beans in it. I have marked locations for my feet to be so that my stance is as consistent as the weapon support in a backyard situation. This method is a good backyard or field method in order to do your best to keep the weapon is consistent and the level of the weapon consistent. I dial in an optic by using different sized targets on the same sheet. For example, top left is simulated 100 yards, middle left is simulated 200 yards and bottom left is simulated 300 yards.

I don't have the budget or the toys that I had when I was on active duty, so I buy budget optics that work just fine for my intended purposes. I don't hunt unless I am in ID with my Game Warden BIL and using his firearms. So, my weapons are mostly for self defense, chaos mitigation and fun shooting in my backyard.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:10 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,560 Likes on 2,889 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Hanks
Just had a few minutes. If you guys want to track things this is the best website we know of “that you will have access to at least”.
it lets you sort all kinds of different ways. I have it set on countries. But it can break down for more than that.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
@Brian Hanks , what is the parameter or qualifier for a case or death to be considered "new"? Is it 24 hours from the viewing of the graph, is it 12:00AM that same day, is it something else?

Thanks for the statistics, this helps bring things into perspective.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:09 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,019 Likes on 1,990 Posts
All you 2A types might enjoy this.

In other news, tonight’s dinner was Ipoh Hor Fun. It’s a SE Asian dish that supposedly originated in the Malaysian town of Ipoh. It’s flat rice noodles covered in a savory mushroom gravy and topped with pulled chicken and leafy greens.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:38 PM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
I am jealous. We had spaghetti. It was... well, spaghetti. I won't bore you with a pic.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:08 PM
Brian Hanks
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Sous
@Brian Hanks , what is the parameter or qualifier for a case or death to be considered "new"? Is it 24 hours from the viewing of the graph, is it 12:00AM that same day, is it something else?

Thanks for the statistics, this helps bring things into perspective.
it just mentions “day”. It does appear to update ~24hrs. Probably relative to the standard day of location listed.
It has made the news but one thing I’m hearing (like listed in USA in New York) is that while originally considered more spared on stats 20-49 yo are being hospitalized in drastically larger numbers even in the US than projected by China’s numbers. Not sure the cause yet. These Viruses tend to mutate too, so who knows if that is the case or not. Or surprise am China is still covering things up..

China also likely triaged heavier treatment and resources to the young. Much like Italy is forced to do now. They are THE example in the world right now of what happens when you are overrun resources wise. All age groups are dying in higher numbers. It is also just far enough in that was I stated earlier IS happening. Due to load and exposure a lot of the hospital staff are getting it and no one behind them to buffer I’m told too. First hand knowledge.

Do your part to ensure to slow the burn. Make sure your family and friend do too!! I keep seeing PACKED Walmart’s on the way back and forth from work daily. This is SO gonna bite us on the butt for having the “social distancing” and <10 people congregate but allowing them to roam in mass at stores... This stuff is AIRBORNE people.

Unfortunately our completely unprepared populace is forced to scrounge like this and as this intensifies so will those people for supplies.

If I didn’t HAVE to go to the hospital I’m 100% certain I could shelter in place for months and never leave my farm without an emergency. Unfortunately, it is ironic I’m so prepared but have to wade into it daily because the massive issue was infectious vs just other meltdown.. cst la vie.
I'm prepared to “go”. Are you? Get yourself right.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:48 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Well there goes the coffee thread. I guess we could change it to the "COVID-19 thread". Y'all be safe and stay inside...and have plenty of cold beer.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:52 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
So, if it's "airborne", then none of us is really safe, right? I mean, does it fall to the ground eventually?

We have 42 reported cases now in my county. We are heading farther out into the rural areas very soon.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:10 PM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
I don't know when anybody talks about coffee anyway.
OK. You asked for it.
Time to break the mojo...

4 healthy puppies. We did lose one, but the rest are doing well and getting fat.

She said her first word! It was "Gaahbrrrr" with a bubble at the end. We are not clear on the meaning yet, but are consulting a linguist on Monday.

Bunnies! Cute and delicious! What more can you ask for?

Old 03-22-2020, 11:38 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,019 Likes on 1,990 Posts
I am jealous. We had spaghetti. It was... well, spaghetti. I won't bore you with a pic.
Don't be. Dinner on Fri night was salad.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:00 PM
Brian Hanks
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BBslider001
So, if it's "airborne", then none of us is really safe, right? I mean, does it fall to the ground eventually?

We have 42 reported cases now in my county. We are heading farther out into the rural areas very soon.
it would be from almost exclusively coughs and sneezes. And no, it is not indefinite. Up to 4 hrs. Most are saying 2-3. It IS infective on surfaces for days though. My best recommendation if you MUST visit a store do so immediately when they open and disinfect items or remove the outer packaging and discard. Consider exterior contaminated.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...hours-surfaces

My wife and I do this for a living, so it is much more reasonable. (She has worked in infectious disease research including at BSL4 level and I mostly with biocontainment, surgery, clinical management of disease for 15 years up to BSL3 level so it is just recreating what we do at work).
Most people the problem is it’s just not what they do daily so they will miss something. I just want to tell the only online group I am a part of and subsequently care about what the widespread “guidelines” are missing.

All you can do is what you can do.

Also, if you want to move somewhere else, fine. Just let me know where. I’m getting busy enough I’m about to be off line anyway.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***