Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 08:34 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 160 Likes on 92 Posts

TP.... How does that song go... I grew up in the backroads... Daddy was poor....

How soon we forget the past....

Back in the day.... us poor country boys all were wearing overalls... farmer overalls as they are called today. There wasn't a porta toilet out on the edge of the fields, so you did you business out in the woods. No... we didn't use leaves... most used their hanky.... then went down to that cold crystal clear spring/creek... washed out the hanky.... tied it to that loop on the overalls... so it would air dry, while you were working out in the hot sunny field. Hopefully it would be dry if you needed it again... or to blow your nose.... or wipe the sweat out of your eyes... Yea... the loop wasn't for a hammer... what farmer carries a damn hammer while hoeing weeds....

My story.... and sticking to it....

Old 03-17-2020, 08:38 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,030 Likes on 2,000 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Hanks
Got to think about alternatives.
https://climbtallpeaks.com/what-leav...-toilet-paper/

Old 03-17-2020, 09:45 AM
SoCal-Bob
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You can buy guns here Kalifornia... if you can find any for sale!

I haven’t bothered, but my dad went to his local shop to get some ammo that was on sale. After he saw the line outside and around the building, he decided he didn’t need it that bad.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:08 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,041 Likes on 1,209 Posts
I notice in most of the videos of empty TP shelves there are still a lot of paper towels....

Are people really not that creative?

God forbid the toilet doesn’t flush.

Trying to grow peaches here is usually heartbreaking. We often get a warm up in late winter that tells the fruit trees, etc to bloom. We also often get a late freeze (early May) that subsequently kills the buds and we get no fruit. The apples and pears seem to do better, but I’ve threatened to cut down the peach trees many times and basically gave up - in spite of the few times we got peaches they were really good!!

We bought (2) almond trees a couple years ago. They turned out to be peaches... Anyway, the blooms are beautiful - but we don’t get our hopes up.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Ridedan2
More Turbo
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I notice in most of the videos of empty TP shelves there are still a lot of paper towels....

Are people really not that creative?

God forbid the toilet doesn’t flush.

Trying to grow peaches here is usually heartbreaking. We often get a warm up in late winter that tells the fruit trees, etc to bloom. We also often get a late freeze (early May) that subsequently kills the buds and we get no fruit. The apples and pears seem to do better, but I’ve threatened to cut down the peach trees many times and basically gave up - in spite of the few times we got peaches they were really good!!

We bought (2) almond trees a couple years ago. They turned out to be peaches... Anyway, the blooms are beautiful - but we don’t get our hopes up.

beautiful trees when flowering, what varieties of peach are they? We have the same thaw freeze problem up here with this screwy weather. Red haven peach tree seems to fair pretty well up north.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:25 AM
Brian Hanks
Fleet Mechanic
Received 479 Likes on 241 Posts
Looks like some pretty country in background. Can almost hear the gobblers in the distance. 🦃

Old 03-17-2020, 11:45 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ridedan2
beautiful trees when flowering, what varieties of peach are they? We have the same thaw freeze problem up here with this screwy weather. Red haven peach tree seems to fair pretty well up north.
Good question. These particular trees are ‘not almonds’ variety of peach... I think they came from Burgess. I’ll have to ask if anyone remembers what the others’ were.

Looks like some pretty country in background. Can almost hear the gobblers in the distance. 🦃
Yes, you could. +60% of my county is public land, mostly Nat’l Forest. Just north of my property is a 2800 acre tract that is beautiful and I’ve seen and heard plenty of turkeys in there!!

At one time, someone brought a turkey egg here and it was put in a pile of chicken eggs. The egg hatched and the ugly little chicken followed its ‘mommy’ around like all the other chicks. In a few weeks, the ‘turcken’ was bigger than the surrogate mom (a silkie chicken). It stayed here for a couple years, taking flights out of the pasture and coming back.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:04 AM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Yeah, the Not-Almond tree is one of my favorites, too. I like the wood for smoking brisket. "Nothing but Not-Almond" I always say...

Old 03-18-2020, 03:59 AM
ajbrown208
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear them too Brian....

Old 03-18-2020, 05:28 AM
SoCal-Bob
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by rjdj1186
Yeah, the Not-Almond tree is one of my favorites, too. I like the wood for smoking brisket. "Nothing but Not-Almond" I always say...

Never thought about almond! I’ve used pecan and hickory for brisket

Old 03-18-2020, 06:35 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SoCal-Bob
Almond and peach are very similar trees. We do have one ‘almond’ tree now - well, we will find out if is an almond if it ever sets any fruit (no late freeze).

Old 03-18-2020, 06:39 AM
ajbrown208
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I have heard, any tree that produces a nut or fruit is good for smoking meats. All pecan trees are hickory trees, but not all hickory are pecan trees. Pecan is pronounced PEE--CAN and Acorn..... A KURN and sounds like two words. But my YANKEE wife of almost 19 years has definitely had an affect. When she ask which socks I want I reply...… THESE ONES. SHE IS A GOOD WOMAN.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:39 AM
SoCal-Bob
Mountain Pass
I’ll say most fruit or nut barring trees are good for smoke. There are a few exceptions and unknowns like pine trees. Some produce pine nuts or pinons depending on where you’re from. Pine is a big no no in a smoker. Citrus is subjective as I’ve heard arguments go both ways, but I haven’t tried it myself.

tge unknown to me is banana. I’ve seen them here but not many.

I've heard avocado wood is good to smoke with, but I haven’t seen it available. I doubt any avocado farmers would sacrifice a tree when the fruit is a good money maker.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:42 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,584 Likes on 2,907 Posts
My preferred smoke is from apple wood, but we recently bought some cherry, pecan and mesquite as well to try out over the BBQ/smoking season.

SoCal-Bob, those are some interesting choices I had not even thought of. Perhaps because I am in north GA where that sort if wood is rare to come by unless you had it brought in.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:50 AM
rjdj1186
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
I’ll say most fruit or nut barring trees are good for smoke. There are a few exceptions and unknowns like pine trees. Some produce pine nuts or pinons depending on where you’re from. Pine is a big no no in a smoker. Citrus is subjective as I’ve heard arguments go both ways, but I haven’t tried it myself.

tge unknown to me is banana. I’ve seen them here but not many.

I've heard avocado wood is good to smoke with, but I haven’t seen it available. I doubt any avocado farmers would sacrifice a tree when the fruit is a good money maker.
I don't know, socalbob. They smoke those giant *** trout in Bishop Creek with something, and there ain't nothing up there but pine. Pine burns fast and hot and makes alot of creosote, but coals are coals.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***