Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch Mod Pre Pump Filter - Ultimate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:20 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Hutch Mod Pre Pump Filter - Ultimate Thread

Okay, instead of creating a new thread, I have renamed this one to compile a complete list of everyone's suggested pre-pump filter after doing the 'Hutch' mod. I will update this post as we go. Feel free to post what you use/have used and what worked/didn't work.

Things to consider: Plastic filter ends claimed to be difficult to seal by some while others have no problems, strainer > filter, replacement vs. cleanable, 5/16" line filter to pump claimed to be better fit, avoid paper media - known to collapse, avoid galvanized metal materials

Kit options:
- Strictly diesel sells a good complete kit with the Baldwin 1212 filter if one chooses to use this filter.
- Diesel Innovations and Riff Raff both sell a hutch kit that allows an in-line filter (baldwin 7725 included in the DI kit) to be added but additional 30R7/30R9 line will be needed if you want to replace the fuel line from the tank up to the pump completely as what comes in the kit utilizes the stock fuel line. This is recommended by many (including Clay at RR) to avoid loss in pressure at WOT.

Racor PS 120-02 Flow rate: 120GPH, Micron: 200,
Cleanable, large capacity, doesn't restrict flow, visual inspection

Riff Raff Canister: Flow: less than 1 psi drop, Micron: 10, 40, 100
Clay recommends 100micron, cleanable, easy to conceal, available mounting bracket, options for fittings

Baldwin BF1212: Flow rate: 210GPH Filtration: 4 micron @ 86% / 20 micron @ 99%
Big filter, hangs relatively low but has open valve to inspect fuel/water, recommended replacement 15k mi

Wix 33007/33972 or Napa 3007/3972: Flow rate: 60GPH, Filtration: 50micron
Inexpensive, clear inspection, strainer style, some have difficulty eliminating air due to plastic ends, 33972 is bigger

Fleetguard 5288: uknown specs
Inexpensive, bigger capacity, available through Case/cummins dealer

Baldwin BF 7725/BF 7863: Filtration: 125micron
Inexpensive, higher micron plastic strainers, included in DI kit

Last edited by CousinCarl; 08-16-2017 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Compilation of suggested pre pump filters
Old 08-11-2017, 06:50 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
I bought the Strictly Diesel setup long before I knew about Riffraff so I don't know anything about Clay's setup but the Baldwin has served me well for probably over 10 years now and installation was a breeze with everything I needed and good instructions. I also like to be able to open the valve on the Baldwin filter to check for water, or just to see how the fuel looks.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:15 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Both are just fine kits, and quality kits. I do like the Riffraff kit a little more because it is much more compact and the inline filter is cleanable so it saves on costs in the long term. But really you will be fine with either one.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
I like the conceal-ability of Clay's product as well and not having to worry about damaging the bigger baldwin when at the deer lease but will sacrificing the water separator ability of the baldwin be advisable?

Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinCarl
I like the conceal-ability of Clay's product as well and not having to worry about damaging the bigger baldwin when at the deer lease but will sacrificing the water separator ability of the baldwin be advisable?
The stock fuel bowl has a separator so the frame doesn't really matter.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
The Racor PS120 is the clear winner when looking at outside the tank screens/filters. It is tried and true. It is your money and your time, but my vote goes to the Racor.

I pieced my kit together from Amazon and it has made a huge difference in the noise at idle and running speed. In addition, I can get 32 gallons of fuel into my 26 gallon rated tank now without having to talk the tank into it. When the fuel pump shuts off, the tank is full, not kinda full...

Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I went through the same thought process many years ago. I looked and looked online, and even looked through a Baldwin catalog that a supplier had given me.

On a whim I decided I'd call Baldwin and see if they could offer any help. To my surprise, they transfered me to an engineer after I gave them a brief description of what I was trying to do. Non factory application, they just wanted to advise me on what would work, regardless of what the factory set up used to be.

His advice, you already have a primary fuel filter in the engine to protect the injectors. What you need pre-pump is at least 100 micron filtration to block larger debris from entering the pump. And to block debris larger than the inlet screen on the factory pump so it doesn't become clogged.

If you put a really low micron rating filter pre-pump, then it in essence becomes the primary filter, and the fuel pump was never really designed to pull volume through that filtration.

I ran the Baldwin BF7725 for years due to the advice and attention I got. Then I decided to expand my options.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15512691

Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sous
The Racor PS120 is the clear winner when looking at outside the tank screens/filters. It is tried and true. It is your money and your time, but my vote goes to the Racor.
Do you clean or replace the strainer in the PS120 every so often?

Old 08-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinCarl
Do you clean or replace the strainer in the PS120 every so often?
When I change the oil I take a look over at the canister in the pictures I posted above. If it has any debris in it, I remove it and put the fuel into the same container the oil is running into. I then inspect the screen, but normally any debris has been in the bottom of the clear canister.

The screen can be cleaned, but I have not had to do it in the 3 years or so since I did the mod. I have had to remove debris twice, but I think most of that was from disturbing the tank and getting a bit of "crap" in the tank when installing the new sending unit tubing. I am not really sure, maybe it did come from the fuel pumps, in either case I am glad the Racor performed well.

When I change my primary fuel filter, it is always clean.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:49 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
M primarys' the same way Sous. Makes me think it has more life than the yearly replacement.... That R.R.D. inline filter housing, anyone have measurements, on it? When I delete the fuel bowl, wouldn't mind stuffing one of them bad boys in its place.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I'm cheap and I'm going to do something like post #42 in this thread when I do mine. Guys have reported using some kind of Wix (I think) inline screen right before the pump and I'll go for that as well.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17390783

Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
I did the Racor PS120 as well, but I sourced all of my stuff locally through a Parker Store. They had everything in stock, and also had the fitting to make a fuel pressure adapter for the fuel bowl, and an adapter to fit my HF grease-whip into the glow plug hole for a compression tester.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:18 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
How have you guys mounted the racor? Any concern with low clearance from the elements?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I ordered clays filter but have not installed yet. TOo many chores and rain. However, i ordered the 40 micron option. I guess that means i will have to change it sooner?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:16 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
I ordered clays filter but have not installed yet. TOo many chores and rain. However, i ordered the 40 micron option. I guess that means i will have to change it sooner?
They are cleanable with ultrasonic cleaner

Quick Reply: Hutch Mod Pre Pump Filter - Ultimate Thread