1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

WHICH Android Tablet(s) for Gauges? - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for the RCA your looking around (average price range) $30 - $40 USD

for the iNova tablet (again I think 1st gen??) your looking approximately $40 - $60 depending on options, mine I got lucky and paid only $30 for it, however it is NOT mobile data equipped

just some more info for OP to update there list

Old 05-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my Arkon mount finally showed up today. It's a much nicer mount than it looks to be in the pic. The 22 inch seems to be the right right length as well. I will give it a good test this weekend. Heading to Havasu with fingers crossed in the AM.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 AM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering the state of my eyeballs,and the fact that I do use the tablet for traveling beside the use of the TorquePro app, I am looking at the Asus ZenPad S 8.It has a few more bells and whistles than the Nexus 7. What'cha Think?
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Old 05-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I like the ASUS Zen line of products a lot - I have an ASUS Zenbook laptop, and this thing is the real deal. I looked at the specs on the Zen tablets, and I would get one myself if it had the USB-C connector. I am currently halting all electronic purchases for myself if they don't have the USB-C port - Android, Windows, Apple, or otherwise. I don't suggest others follow in my trail on this one, but devices without USB-C will need adapters in the near future - where devices with it will not.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:37 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Rich... from what I'm reading, the Zen S linked above DOES in fact come with the USB-C, but it appears there may be a limitation to that port's overall effectiveness.

Quoting from one of the reviews I linked above (first one). In fact, I just double-checked the other review links, and each one of them tout the uniqueness of the Zen S 8.0 being among the first tablets to come with the USB-C port.

"The one thing that sets the ZenPad S Z580CA apart from most other devices is its use of the new USB Type-C connector, along with support for USB 3.0 speeds of 5Gbps (Superspeed). While we have seen USB 3.0 featured on some past devices such as the Galaxy Note 3, the large size and unsightly appearance of the USB 3.0 Micro-B connector resulted in it receiving almost no market adoption. It's important to note that just because a device uses the USB Type-C connector does not mean that it supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Superspeed+) along with all the USB alternate modes for networking or display interfaces. With the ZenPad S Z580CA only supporting USB data, you cannot do video out or use any other USB alternate modes. Such features will have to wait for future SoCs and controllers with USB 3.1 and USB alt mode support.

As for the connector, Type-C is slightly larger than your standard Micro-B port in all dimensions, but it's reversible, more durable, and maintains a much stronger connection to a device. You can insert it in two orientations, and when you push it in there's a click to let you know that it connected. Some users will see the adoption of USB Type-C as a nuisance, as it will prevent them from using existing cables to charge the tablet or transfer files. I personally recognize this as an unavoidable transition period, as there's no chance of every vendor and user in the world deciding to move to Type-C all at once. It's obviously a bit of an annoyance to be unable to use existing Micro-B cables, but I believe the advantages are worth it."

Old 05-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
My Zenbook has USB-C with Thunderbolt 3... the good stuff. I guess those two have to be specified to get all the perks.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:47 PM
ajohansson
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinCarl
I've been researching Joying and Pumpkin head units. Been too scared so far to make the purchase.

Tugly, what theme do you use in TP. I've tried them all and can't get the gauges to look like yours.
Another member (lightflyer) has a Joying stereo running with torque on it. Here is a link from the thread in the X forum.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-new-ex-4.html

There is also a thread just for Joying.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ks-ect-12.html

I am in the same boat it would be something I would like. Also I have a PHP Hydra and adding the Cyclops right onto the stereo and having Torque would be powerful.

My concern with Joying is like jailbreaking/rooting devices I used to do all that and just got tired of dicking with it. Spent way too much time tweaking this and that. Right now I am just leaning to a 7" Samsung Tab A and a mount off the seat bracket by my right leg. I also want to use this for my Tire Pressure Monitor from Tire Minder when pulling the trailer.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Originally Posted by ajohansson
I also want to use this for my Tire Pressure Monitor from Tire Minder when pulling the trailer.
That is a great idea, I think you just solidified my decision on whether or not to get a tablet.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:17 PM
ajohansson
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
That is a great idea, I think you just solidified my decision on whether or not to get a tablet.
Ok sorry which way are you going tablet or Joying?

AJ

Old 05-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Ok sorry which way are you going tablet or Joying?

AJ
tablet, too much messing around with the joying from what I have read.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Nick 99
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So I just ordered the Asus 8 inch Zen Pad, now I gotta figure out how to transfer all my goodies from the old Nexus 7 to the new tablet once it arrives.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
....I also want to use this for my Tire Pressure Monitor from Tire Minder when pulling the trailer.
That is my plan as well... just on safari for round tewits.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Holy crap, looking for a tablet is worse than looking for a phone. Too many choices.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
Holy crap, looking for a tablet is worse than looking for a phone. Too many choices.
Here's an exercise for you: Stay on top of all the latest stable and practical technology for application at work. That's one of my tasks for my job.

Quick Reply: WHICH Android Tablet(s) for Gauges? - Recommendations?