1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

WHICH Android Tablet(s) for Gauges? - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 03:44 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I know what you mean, Andy. I'm willing to root, but not looking for it nor overly interested in it, either. I had a rooted Motorola Droid several years back which was rooted with a well-established and stable root (Cyanogen Mod). It ran rooted for over two years and I never had a glitch with it. I would be willing again to root my current Droid Z-Force, but there is no reliable root available because Verizon has really locked down their Motorola phones. That's OK... it just runs and runs and runs with virtually no glitches or issues whatsoever, and I can live with that, too. As long as I can get enough memory and storage to compensate for the bloatware nonsense, I can just isolate most of those items with either "disable" or "never update" settings and leave well enough alone.

If you buy good and reliable equipment to start with and don't cut your needs short on memory and storage, the device will typically run trouble-free and you don't have to worry about the hassles of rooting or the potential bricking scenario if the root goes awry.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hum, My new tab showed up. Here is something that I did not know. If you have a google account and you log onto it from your new device and you setup the wifi. Google ports apps from your old tab over to the new one! I have not tested on Big Stinky but Bamm Torque Pro just magically showed up on the new tab. How great is that!
It works but you do have to set it up, down load the FMC pids. This Tab is a ASUS Pad LTE. It's unlocked for ATT so GSM network. All the typical bells. It does not have a lot of ram (10G), but it was only about $70.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:37 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I went into Wally World, bought the cheapest piece of crap ($70) they had in the store that had BT, Wifi, SD upgradeable, 7" screen. I think it's a Nextbook....Ran like a champ for close to 2 years, never had a glitch. Then I bought a Joying DD unit and loaded it up. Runs like a Deere...A Chinese one.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:21 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
I've been researching Joying and Pumpkin head units. Been too scared so far to make the purchase.

Tugly, what theme do you use in TP. I've tried them all and can't get the gauges to look like yours.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So one can install a sensor in the exhaust and it will read your EGT on the tablet? So how does that work? A unique sensor?

Old 04-29-2017, 12:13 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
So one can install a sensor in the exhaust and it will read your EGT on the tablet? So how does that work? A unique sensor?
You can't monitor EGT without a separate, stand alone gauge.

Or, at least one that the tablet can read, and I don't know of any that do that.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:15 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Got it, thanks

Old 04-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinCarl
....Tugly, what theme do you use in TP. I've tried them all and can't get the gauges to look like yours.
Yeah... I wouldn't expect you to find that theme anywhere - I made my own theme.

I made an effort to save the theme for export one time, but it was a half-fast effort. Not to be a snot about it, but my brain is elsewhere and I don't want to go 12 rounds with a tablet - trying to figure out how to export a theme to share with the forum. If somebody has the precise instructions for this handy, I'll gladly take a few minutes and share my work.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:18 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by andym
You can't monitor EGT without a separate, stand alone gauge.

Or, at least one that the tablet can read, and I don't know of any that do that.
PLX offers a way for EGTs and Fuel Pressure in TP... EGT, Fuel Pressure and more on DashCommand and TorquePro - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

That's why I went with the Kiwi 2 OBD II adapter so I could add their EGT sensor and adapter if I chose to instead of a separate stand alone gauge. Price wise, they look about the same. Just need to decide if I want EGT on my tablet or on my pillar.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:22 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Tugly
Not to be a snot about it, but my brain is elsewhere and I don't want to go 12 rounds with a tablet - trying to figure out how to export a theme to share with the forum. If somebody has the precise instructions for this handy, I'll gladly take a few minutes and share my work.
Gosh, way to be a snot! LOL! No problem. I'd be consumed with a $80,000 profit on my house too if it were me. I didn't know I could make my own. When I hit import it says I have to export one first and I was confused. I will have to play with it and see how to do this and try to get it to look like yours. I like it. Looks close to OEM dash displays.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
That's why I went with the Kiwi 2 OBD II adapter so I could add their EGT sensor and adapter if I chose to instead of a separate stand alone gauge. Price wise, they look about the same. Just need to decide if I want EGT on my tablet or on my pillar.[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks, I knew I read that but couldn't put my finger on it the second time.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:51 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas

Got my Arkon mount installed yesterday. There were some comments concerning its quality. I, like Tugly, have no complaints. Maybe a bit longer would be good but hard to say if I'd use the extra length or not. I like where it sits now. The metal neck is bendable to adjust the positioning of the tablet but its plenty sturdy and takes quite a bit of effort to mold and bend where you want it - which is a good thing so it stays put when going down the road. Bolted right to the seat mounting bolt so no drilling required but it did come with an optional mounting bracket and screws to mount it elsewhere if you wanted.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is in the mail, I ordered the longer one. They come in 18" and 22" I think.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:00 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Yeah... when I said "dud", I should have more precisely said "can't use Torque unless you study up on how to root tablets and brick the first one during the learning process." I have read countless threads where people root a tablet or phone, only to have the device become so unstable that they spend more time troubleshooting it than using it. If this sounds familiar, then you've been reading my 7.3L tee-shirts.

For the viewing pleasure of those who haven't seen it yet....

Rich, if you want your more then welcome to reference my set up also, I use the RAM Mount (universal) I forget the length of the rod but where I sit its stable and will not move unless I make it move. the Tablet is an older (pre IPS) tablet, however due to how its positioned that is really not a factor for me as I can see it, and glance at what I need anyways.

Name:  E7E5A635-B189-40DB-BDBC-909F8FD3C201_zpskimbaqnd.jpg
Views: 2855
Size:  201.5 KB

Name:  E7E5A635-B189-40DB-BDBC-909F8FD3C201_zpskimbaqnd.jpg
Views: 2855
Size:  201.5 KB

The last two are taken at night/low light level

Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2017, 09:42 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Karlow
Mine is in the mail, I ordered the longer one. They come in 18" and 22" I think.
Darn! You're right. I may have to order the 22" one now.

Quick Reply: WHICH Android Tablet(s) for Gauges? - Recommendations?