2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Airbags installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:26 PM
slapshot12
More Turbo
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Great video Epic. I like the compressor mount location. I'm looking at the same Air Lift set up for my truck. I'm just a little hesitant to level my truck. With my 5er hooked up, the rear end squats around 3", which levels the truck, but the trailer is slightly nose high, but not enough that I worry about it. My fear is if I level the front 2 to 2.5", I will have to raise the rear end back up the same amount with the airbags to level the truck back out while towing. So by raising the rear end back up, the 5er will be even more nose, and enough that I'd have concerns about the rear axle. I can raise the pin box one more hole, which will help somewhat, but then reduces my bed rail clearance to less than 6". If anyone has any real life input, I'm opens to ideas. I'm trying to do all the research and work everything through before I drop a few grand on it all.

Here's my hopes :

2 to 2.5" front leveling
New shocks x4
Air Lift bags and compressor
20x10 wheels with 35's
Steering damper (maybe)

Old 05-17-2018, 10:01 AM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same basic setup as Epic. A '17 cclb F350 and a 44' 5er toy hauler. I've only gone short distances so far but we're going on a 5000 mile journey in 2 weeks. Should I add bags? I don't think I have the time to install bags and a pump so can I add the bags and a manual inflator now and add the pump later or would that just be stupid.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
You can add bags and inflate them with garage or gas station compressor. Lots of guys have done that for years and years. Onboard air is a relatively new thing. It only takes a couple hours max to install bags, real easy install. If you have wheel well liners you need to make a small notch so the bags dont rub. Small price to pay to have the bags inside the leaf springs rather than over the bump stop tangs.

I just installed the Torque USA TR2600 bags for $250. They are essentially a Firestone 2600 clone.
TORQUE Heavy Duty Air Spring Helper Suspension Kit TR2600 - ExpeditedParts

Old 05-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
And if you want to get fancy with it later, you can add a compressor, air tank, remote solenoids and remote air pressure sensors for about $200 in parts.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:49 PM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
I've had my AitLift 5000 ultimate plus bags and the wireless controller installed for about 3 days now. I have about 15lbs in the bags and I'm empty. 2-3 times a day the compressor kicks on to correct the pressure in the bags.
Is this normal? Should they 'leak' that often?

TIA,

ysgi

Old 05-26-2018, 12:44 AM
CoreyOF250
New User
Just picked up my 2018 f250 and am leaning towards going this route. Does anyone know if installing modifies the warranty?

Old 05-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Justa02TJ
Junior User
Originally Posted by ysgi
I've had my AitLift 5000 ultimate plus bags and the wireless controller installed for about 3 days now. I have about 15lbs in the bags and I'm empty. 2-3 times a day the compressor kicks on to correct the pressure in the bags.

TIA,

ysgi
i keep mine at 5lbs and only notice the compressor kicking on once in a while. They seem to hold the pressure for quite some time. I don’t think it’s abnormal, but would go back through and confirm the fitting aren’t showing leaks.

Mike

Old 05-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Justa02TJ
Junior User
Originally Posted by CoreyOF250
Just picked up my 2018 f250 and am leaning towards going this route. Does anyone know if installing modifies the warranty?
i have had bags on my trucks for years and never had an issue with a warranty. If a dealer beefs me about airbags I would be finding a new dealer.

Mike

Last edited by Justa02TJ; 05-26-2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling LOL!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:07 AM
acelefty
Junior User
Originally Posted by ysgi

TIA,

ysgi
My old truck with the same air bag system did that as well. I noticed that the compressor usually kicked on during hard braking which led me to believe the bags were stretching and the PSI would drop. Then under acceleration the controller would dump the air back out. I don't think that you have anything to worry about. I can't wait to get that system back on my new truck - I loved those air bags.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:46 PM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
Its just after sitting for a few hours, the compressor kicks on for about a second. I think there is a leak, but since this is my first set of bags, I wasn't sure if that was normal or not.

ysgi

Old 05-26-2018, 02:54 PM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User
Opinions wanted

Ok, before someone re-directs my post, I wanted to get some clarification BEFORE I commit towards purchasing my air bags.

I’m leaning towards the air lift ultimate plus 5000.It comes with stainless air lines vs the plastic on the Firestone’s and the internal bump stop. The internal jouncer does not require the minimum 5 psi as the Firestone’s do. So, there was some debate on other posts about brands; specifically one sits more inboard (Firestone’s) whereas the Air Lift sit atop the leaf spring. I prefer the farther most outboard (Air Lift) as it will help with stability albeit I ran the Firestone’s on my 2011 F350.

The other question stems from a maintenance perspective. Since these air bags act like an accordian, when the suspension is decompressed (allowed to droop), there’s potential for damage to the bags. This can also be caused during off-road tweaking & forced articulation. To combat these forces, I used a Daystar air bag cradle on my previous truck and will likely do the same when I commit on my 17 F350.

Opinions and comments welcomed. If you run cradles (on Firestone’s & Air Lift) please send pics as I’d like to see the end result.

Help me decide... I’d almost like to buy just the Air Lift bags with SS fittings and braided lines with the Firestone mounting hardware riding on Daystar cradles- the best of everything.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:46 PM
951 DAN
Senior User
Firestones don't require you to remove the stock bumpers so there is no need to run 5 psi as there is no pinch possibility. The lines on my last rig were standard tubing, same as the lines on the truck before that. Never had an issue with either so I thing the SS lines are not really necessary.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:31 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by AK-AlumADuty
Ok, before someone re-directs my post, I wanted to get some clarification BEFORE I commit towards purchasing my air bags.

I’m leaning towards the air lift ultimate plus 5000.It comes with stainless air lines vs the plastic on the Firestone’s and the internal bump stop. The internal jouncer does not require the minimum 5 psi as the Firestone’s do. So, there was some debate on other posts about brands; specifically one sits more inboard (Firestone’s) whereas the Air Lift sit atop the leaf spring. I prefer the farther most outboard (Air Lift) as it will help with stability albeit I ran the Firestone’s on my 2011 F350.

The other question stems from a maintenance perspective. Since these air bags act like an accordian, when the suspension is decompressed (allowed to droop), there’s potential for damage to the bags. This can also be caused during off-road tweaking & forced articulation. To combat these forces, I used a Daystar air bag cradle on my previous truck and will likely do the same when I commit on my 17 F350.

Opinions and comments welcomed. If you run cradles (on Firestone’s & Air Lift) please send pics as I’d like to see the end result.

Help me decide... I’d almost like to buy just the Air Lift bags with SS fittings and braided lines with the Firestone mounting hardware riding on Daystar cradles- the best of everything.
You've got that backwards. The Firestones are farther out and sit atop the leaf spring. The Air lift sits above the bump stop tang. I personally think the Firestone placement is a lot better, especially if you want to use cradles. Stainless is pretty much a gimmick for airlines. Those DOT airlines are really tough and completely resistant to corrosion.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:55 AM
AK-AlumADuty
Senior User

So, I just looked at the install manuals for both. It looks like they both mount to the tang on the inboard side of the leaf spring. Here’s the pics from each manual:
Firestone on the left, Air Lift on the right:

Old 05-27-2018, 02:26 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
I don't know what you're looking at, but the Firestone bags definitely install over the leaf. I know, I've installed them.

Quick Reply: Airbags installation