Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn that is rough!!

Old 04-04-2017, 06:27 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 77mud
Damn that is rough!!
It gets even worse, just found out the 30 year old coworker from day shift that was out on Friday, was out because he had a mild heart attack and was in the hospital! I didn't know I just thought he called out sick because he wanted a long weekend! Holy smokes 30 years old. Well they let him out and apparently the doctors cleared him for work today.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:11 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow John, sure sorry to hear all of that.
But I'd appreciate it if you stayed away from ME fore a few weeks.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:07 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Wow John, sure sorry to hear all of that.
But I'd appreciate it if you stayed away from ME fore a few weeks.
No kidding.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:51 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really sorry to hear all that about your friends. That's a lot of crappy news in a short amount of time. You're a good friend to visit and pay respects.

Note to self: Do not join John's car club.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
sorry to hear about all your friends misfortunes recently john....

on an up note According to the PT guy/gal i dunno for sure.. havent been back down since... they said if dad keeps improving as he has been he could, possibly, maybe, have a chance of being released medically to come home on the 19th of this month..

Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Smart move, Bob, as you can tell I put the hoodoo on anybody around me! hahaha.

So at this funeral on Thursday, should be fairly interesting. I understand his family is/was looking for an old Chevy Nomad to serve as the hearse, but I don't know if they were successful at finding one. Then, the family and pall bearers will travel in 3 of the deceased old cars, 2 of them are 56 Crown Vic's and the other is a 57 Chevy, and then following that will be the old cars of all the various club members that are attending, and so far the estimate is ~50 antiques, so it will be quite the sight to see!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:52 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Cracker289
Smart move, Bob, as you can tell I put the hoodoo on anybody around me! hahaha.

So at this funeral on Thursday, should be fairly interesting. I understand his family is/was looking for an old Chevy Nomad to serve as the hearse, but I don't know if they were successful at finding one. Then, the family and pall bearers will travel in 3 of the deceased old cars, 2 of them are 56 Crown Vic's and the other is a 57 Chevy, and then following that will be the old cars of all the various club members that are attending, and so far the estimate is ~50 antiques, so it will be quite the sight to see!
That's a heck of a thing to go through, and most of us have been through it, and we'll all end up going through it.
But that is one sweet send off.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That's a heck of a thing to go through, and most of us have been through it, and we'll all end up going through it.
But that is one sweet send off.
One heck of a send off! sorry to hear about everyone John. You know using that hoo doo stuff on people isn't nice.

Sparky, glad to hear of the improvement with your Dad.

Is it Friday yet?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Motorcraft

What's the deal with getting Motorcraft filters, and oil
My daily driver was close enough to needing serviced to go ahead and do it, or do it half way to Missouri. I normally do everything myself, but sometimes with specials that Firestone offers, I can't do it for the money that they will.
I could have gotten my oil and filter at Wallyworld, and laid on my back and then pay Firestone to do the rotate and balance, and I would have saved a whopping $17, and still have to recycle the oil myself.
The air filter really wasn't too bad, but I wanted to change it anyway. Couldn't find the Motorcraft air filter at Wallyworld, AutoZone, or O'Reilly's. Finally at the fourth stop Advance, I got the air filter that Firestone wanted $33 for $18.
I had my appointment this morning, and guess what, no Motorcraft motor oil in the building, so they had to order that. Then the yardape that did the last oil change stripped the drain plug into the pan, but at least the threads in the oil pan are good. Third time is a charm, two wrong drain plugs, and 2 hours later I'm back home and ready for a stiff drink.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:40 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
That's the main reason I never take any of my vehicles somewhere to have the oil changes done. The one time I did I caught the moron about to put the impact on my oil drain plug. Needless to say he damn near caught a *** whooping luckily the manager beat me to him, but I did get my oil change for free.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
What's the deal with getting Motorcraft filters, and oil
to some on here its a purist thing.. "ohh no you cant use anything but ford products.." other times it can be a necessity thing.. like the different specs for the filters.. for example the 6.0psd oil filter the ones from Motorcraft fit the housing perfectly. but the aftermarket ones tend to be to short for the housing and allows the oil to bypass the filter completely.. and with a tight tolerance engine you end up with alot of areas getting plugged and problems with other components operating.

as far as oil goes.. oil is oil to me.. doesnt matter who makes it theyre all designed to do the same job. now the oils formulated for diesel engines have different additives to protect longer and against the higher heat temps..

Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sparky83
to some on here its a purist thing.. "ohh no you cant use anything but ford products.." other times it can be a necessity thing.. like the different specs for the filters.. for example the 6.0psd oil filter the ones from Motorcraft fit the housing perfectly. but the aftermarket ones tend to be to short for the housing and allows the oil to bypass the filter completely.. and with a tight tolerance engine you end up with alot of areas getting plugged and problems with other components operating.

as far as oil goes.. oil is oil to me.. doesnt matter who makes it theyre all designed to do the same job. now the oils formulated for diesel engines have different additives to protect longer and against the higher heat temps..
It's what I've used for decades.
Except for the trees falling on my 2011 and totaling it out, I get over 200K on my vehicles. So I stick with what has been good to me.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Bob I used to use Motorcraft oil for all my vehicles too, it was my favorite, but since they stopped putting zinc in modern motor oil, I have switched to rotella T diesel oil for all my older vehicles with flat tappet cams. If you use it in a modern engine it can damage the catalytic converter, but flat tappet cams need zinc - roller cams don't. If you don't use an oil with zinc then you should still add a thingy of STP oil additive or some other brand with "zddp".

Old 04-05-2017, 05:49 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
I always stick with Motorcraft filters for the most part. Oil I use Rotella in the 7.3, and 429. I typically use Valvoline or Castrol in the wife's Kia and my 5.4.

I refuse to use Quaker state and Pennzoil. I've worked on engines for people who religiously used those oils every 3k miles and the amount on sludge in the engines were terrible.

Quick Reply: Spring 2017 General BS Thread