My Engine Rebuild Log - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Rebuild Log

Old 01-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Senior User

bkgeig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bkgeig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My Engine Rebuild Log

Got a 2001 with about 230,000 miles and low compression. See my previous thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...what-next.html

I'm doing a stock long-block rebuild and documenting it here, in large part to help when I have to put everything back together. I hope to have the engine pulled by next weekend and then disassembled by early February. Got started on the removing the front end yesterday:

I plan to take the engine to L&R Machine: https://www.dieselworldmag.com/ford/...ngine-rebuild/. They quoted me about $4900 for the rebuild.

I'm not looking to add power, just create a reliable engine. Anything I should look out for? L&R said they would pressure test the injector cups. Should I just have them replaced anyway? I'm going to get bellowed up-pipes and a 6.0 trans cooler from RiffRaff.

Brian
Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Yes replace. This is because if they hot tank the heads, that compromises the seal. Guys have not done this and had problems down the line.
Also, can't you get a Ford reman for that with 3 year warranty? Unless your putting in some better parts, not oem, it's a thought.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Senior User

bkgeig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bkgeig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks. I had ruled out Ford reman, but I'm not sure why. Looks like it's only a few hundred more than the L&R rebuild. I'll go by the dealership tomorrow to get more info on the reman.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to all
FWIW, that 2001 of yours should have forged rods, will a Ford reman have them?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Senior User

I've seen mixed opinions about forged rods in 2001. Seems that the manufacture cutoff date was 2000 but some 2001 got them. I'll definitely check when the engine is out and get it rebuilt if they're forged.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Posting Guru

Dan V has a very good reputation on FTE.Dan V has a very good reputation on FTE.Dan V has a very good reputation on FTE.Dan V has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
FWIW, that 2001 of yours should have forged rods, will a Ford reman have them?
My 01 has PMR rods.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
I believe all remans have forged rods. At least that is what has been said on here in the past. Get a price from Auto Nation Ford and have your dealer match it. Unless your building a HP motor I'd check ford out. Riffraff use to sell them on order, but I don't think he still dose. I know Dan got one from him in the pass.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Senior User

Thanks. I just emailed Auto Nation for a quote. Tustin's only about 30 minutes from Riverside, so I can drive there to pick up if need be.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Post Fiend

timmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to behold
There's an auto nation off central, in lake Elsinore.
. What about getting the kit from riffraff and have QnE in Placentia hone out the block and do the heads.. Talk to Mike
Old 01-07-2017, 11:39 PM
Post Fiend

I should of told you, Sunrise Ford, parts Manager Jim Cockerham. 909-441-3940. I was a SoCaps member and they give 25% off ford parts including engines. He's close to you also. Just call parts tell them you are a member and see what happens. Use to be big in this area.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Post Fiend

Also County Auto Machine in San Bernadino, 951-487-0917. They had a write up in Diesel Power with pictures. Don't remember who you said you would use. For the rebuild, could ask and time line.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:29 AM
Post Fiend

BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Watching. This will be good.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Senior User

AC guy came out yesterday. Charged me $100 to evacuate the system, flush the condenser, and replace the o-rings and in-line filter. I thought that was a fair price and it's much easier to work with the condenser out of the way.

I'm not sure whether most folks remove the hood latch before the cross member, but I did. I "keyed" the latch by drilling a hold on either side, that way it lines up in the original position when I reinstall.

The trans lines at the radiator and the clamp at the rear of the turbo are fighting me. I soaked them in penetrating oil over night. Hopefully they come off easier today.

I'll call some of these places this week for quotes. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Elder User

jgilrfr has a good reputation on FTE.jgilrfr has a good reputation on FTE.
a ford reman will not have all new internals they reuse parts from other core engines
Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Postmaster

Walleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to allWalleye Hunter is a name known to all
I had trouble with that turbo to collector (baby's butt) connection when I worked on mine. I pried and pried on the ends of the clamp the best I could in that most uncomfortable position and bent the clamp up to no avail. It got me pretty pissed off and I finally grabbed a long brass drift pin that I have and just beat on the side of the clamp using a regular claw hammer. Voila, it popped right off all the way around.