My Engine Rebuild Log - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Rebuild Log

Old 03-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Posting Guru

AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
What in the world is all that crap in the filter? I have a racor pre pump and don't see any where near that kind of junk. Was your tank clean when you did the mods? Do you have critters building nests in your vent tubes for the tank?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Posting Guru

Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
What in the world is all that crap in the filter? I have a racor pre pump and don't see any where near that kind of junk. Was your tank clean when you did the mods? Do you have critters building nests in your vent tubes for the tank?
Possible biological growth issues? Does the truck sit for extended periods (like months)?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Senior User

bkgeig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bkgeig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I didn't clean out the tank when I did the mod. The truck sometimes sits for a couple of weeks, not usually longer. Unfortunately I threw out the filter before looking at it closely. Would you recommend some kind of additive for the fuel in the tank? The truck will sit for months while I do the rebuild. I'll definitely keep an eye on the new filter now.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Senior User

bkgeig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bkgeig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Got the rebuilt trans back from the shop today. They did a "Stage 1" rebuild designed for occasional towing, including a new billet torque converter.

The engine should come back from the machine shop this week. ARP studs are in the mail from RiffRaff.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Senior User

Starting a list of purchases so I know the total cost for the rebuild. I'll update this as I go.

1. Transmission rebuild, Transpro: $1800
2. ARP Studs, RiffRaff: $0 [returned, reused bolts]
3. Long block rebuild, County Auto Machine: $3345
4. Forged rods: $796
5. Pioneer flywheel/flexplate: $61
6. Duralast EBP sensor: $56
7. Pioneer harmonic balancer: $112
8. Dorman EBP tube: $28
9. Rear oil seal installer tool rental: $130
10. Dorman Up-pipes: $140

Total:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Looking good, keep us posted.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Senior User

I picked up the engine from County Auto Machine on Tuesday. I looks like Brian did a great job. To my surprise he installed the heads, with the original bolts. After talking with him for a while I decided to leave the bolts and return the ARP studs I had purchased from RiffRaff. I hope I don't regret it later, but from everything I've read 7.3 bolts are reusable and I can definitely use the $550 elsewhere.

I tried to snap a pic of the engine this morning but there was too much back light.

One thing Brian didn't do was install the back seal plate and crank seal. I was surprised but I get it. He works on a lot of different engines and can't stock the install tool for every one. On his own 7.3 he tapped the seal in without a tool, but I'm not going to try that. I found a video by Diesel Tech Ron where he recommends renting the tool from Freedom Racing; it's on the way for $130. Thanks, Ron, you're still an invaluable source of inspiration and information. I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet you in person.

Autozone had a 20% off sale through April. I comparison shopped with RockAuto and Amazon and purchased a flexplate, EGR valve, EGR pipe, and harmonic balancer with the rebate.

When the Dorman up pipes went down to $140 on Amazon a few weeks ago I ordered them. I might wrap them before installing.

Prices updated.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgeig View Post
Starting a list of purchases so I know the total cost for the rebuild. I'll update this as I go.

1. Transmission rebuild, Transpro: $1800
2. ARP Studs, RiffRaff: $0 [returned, reused bolts]
3. Long block rebuild, County Auto Machine: $3345
4. Forged rods: $796
5. Pioneer flywheel/flexplate: $61
6. Duralast EGR valve: $56
7. Pioneer harmonic balancer: $112
8. Dorman EGR line: $28
9. Rear oil seal installer tool rental: $130
10. Dorman Up-pipes: $140

Total:
EGR?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Senior User

Macmathews is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
EGR?

You had me at hello..

Kyle
Old 04-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Senior User

Oops, my bad. EGR sensor not valve. Been working on the Metro while the engine's been out
Old 04-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Posting Guru

Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rikster-7700 has a very good reputation on FTE.
We don't have EGR's on our rigs though (thank god!)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
There are no EGR sensors, tubes, or valves on a 7.3L.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:36 PM
Elder User

SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
EGR?
Something tells me he's referring to the EBP sensor... since he also got an EGR line...
Old 04-14-2017, 10:43 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintITC View Post
Something tells me he's referring to the EBP sensor... since he also got an EGR line...
Yeah, I definitely have mud on my face. What Autozone and RockAuto call EGR is of course the EBP sensor and tube. I edited the price list.

Getting ready to put the engine on 2x4s to install the rear plate and seal:

Cleaned the residual silicone off the front of the plate last night:

I was surprised to find almost no trace of silicone on the back of the plate:

From everything I've read the plate is only sealed with silicone, no gaskets. I plan to run a good bead on the block before bolting on the plate. Am I missing something? I didn't take this off, so I didn't make any notes and take pics on what it looked like before.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Senior User

Installed the rear seal plate. These sealant-only installs always make me nervous that I'm not going to put on enough RTV. Hopefully I got enough. I made sure to go around the bolt holes:

Tightened the bolts to about 20ft/lbs:

Seal installation tool is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Haven't been able to find any info online about what Loctite to use, so I might go the dealership and ask them.