2001 SuperDuty Stereo Upgrade - Ideas Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:14 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 SuperDuty Stereo Upgrade - Ideas Needed

Hi Everyone, I'm posting here instead of the SuperDuty forum as I figure this is where the real audio heads probably hangout. You can see the truck I drive in my signature.

I want to replace the original OEM "premium stereo" with a new, double din head unit. The OEM package produces an OK sound but I know it could be much improved and I'm missing out on a lot of features since my truck was built in 2001. If cost was not an issue (and it will be) here's my list:

1. AM/FM (Weather bands would be awesome, Sirius capable maybe);
  2. Bluetooth for phone
  3. CD player (optional)
  4. Auxiliary plug(s) for external music access (i.e. smartphone, iPhone, USB maybe etc.)
  5. Built-in Navigation (Garmin would be great with traffic, LifeTime maps etc.)
  6. Rear camera capabilities (I have the audio beepers now but would like video too)
  7. Bonus would be the capability to connect with my truck's OBD outlet to monitor vital systems and set up some guages on the radio screen.

I have the stock speakers in my front doors ... would probably upgrade to something a little better here too (suggestions regarding speaker upgrades welcomed). I do not plan on investing thousands of dollars to create a boom box on wheels ... rear passenger listening needs are not a priority as I drive alone or just with my sweetie 95% of the time.

I just want a decent/better sounding system for a reasonable cost. What kind of budget is realistic for what I want? Thanks for any and all ideas you have.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:18 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,147 Likes on 2,195 Posts
i put a pioneer touchscreen CD/DVD/reverse camera/bluetooth/stereo in my 02 using the stock speakers.
made a world of a difference.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Thanks for sharing tjc. Sounds pretty much like what I want. Do you happen to have the model number of the Pioneer unit you installed?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:25 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i got the AVH200BT. it is now discontinued though. the next closest is the AVH-280BT, wallmart has it for $181.48

Pioneer Avh-280bt 6.2" Double-DIN In-Dash DVD Receiver with Bluetooth - Walmart.com

or amazon for $175.99
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-2...PMMHREH6E8KVRT

i use a license plate camera, i am pretty sure i used this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Esky-Viewing-...me+rear+camera

Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Thanks for the prompt response.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Derek86
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go check out Crutchfield's website. They have pretty good browsing and sorting tools for features on headunits.

I think you will be able to satisfy most of that list, the last bit might require some creativity and additional pieces. I mentioned in another thread you may be able to find a way to broadcast from an OBDII plug or a system like Bully Dog through a generic A/V connection into a double-din headunit with a screen. Most likely doable, will take some research.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Thanks Derek86, I`ll take at look at Crutchfield. My problem is, I start reading and then tie myself up in knots with technical things that are beyond my know-how. Can`t tell you how many times I`ve frustrated myself out of things because of this.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Derek86
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Thanks Derek86, I`ll take at look at Crutchfield. My problem is, I start reading and then tie myself up in knots with technical things that are beyond my know-how. Can`t tell you how many times I`ve frustrated myself out of things because of this.
That's understandable, the sky is the limit with headunits these days. Once you zero in on a model(s) you like, shop around, but Crutchfield has a great website for browsing. Most of the criteria you listed is a sort-able option on their website.

Except the last bit, that's going to require some creativity.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
The OBD connectivity thingy is not imperative to have. I just thought if it were possible and reasonably cost effective ... then why not.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:35 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
Hi Everyone, I'm posting here instead of the SuperDuty forum as I figure this is where the real audio heads probably hangout. You can see the truck I drive in my signature.

I want to replace the original OEM "premium stereo" with a new, double din head unit. The OEM package produces an OK sound but I know it could be much improved and I'm missing out on a lot of features since my truck was built in 2001. If cost was not an issue (and it will be) here's my list:
  1. AM/FM (Weather bands would be awesome, Sirius capable maybe);
  2. Bluetooth for phone
  3. CD player (optional)
  4. Auxiliary plug(s) for external music access (i.e. smartphone, iPhone, USB maybe etc.)
  5. Built-in Navigation (Garmin would be great with traffic, LifeTime maps etc.)
  6. Rear camera capabilities (I have the audio beepers now but would like video too)
  7. Bonus would be the capability to connect with my truck's OBD outlet to monitor vital systems and set up some guages on the radio screen.

I have the stock speakers in my front doors ... would probably upgrade to something a little better here too (suggestions regarding speaker upgrades welcomed). I do not plan on investing thousands of dollars to create a boom box on wheels ... rear passenger listening needs are not a priority as I drive alone or just with my sweetie 95% of the time.

I just want a decent/better sounding system for a reasonable cost. What kind of budget is realistic for what I want? Thanks for any and all ideas you have.

This threat is now old, so I'd like to know what units people are putting in their older model trucks now. I'm looking to do this, especially since Georgia has passed a " hands-free " law now and will need Blue-tooth soon.
Not really to concerned with sound quality as my hearing isn't very good.... happens to us older people. Just would like all the new bells & whistles a Double Din unit would give me nowadays. GPS & Backup camera for sure.
My truck is the 2001 listed below.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:26 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
the pioneer unit in my 02 is still going strong 9 years later.