6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

CAN BUS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a CAN BUS question regarding the EGR valve and IAT2 and TFT sensors. Lets say your driving off road and suddenly the top part of the EGR valve (with the sensor) falls off and disappears somewhere on the rubicon trail. Now the CEL is on and that's not cool, so maybe you could take a clip lead out of your glove box and jumper the EGR data line to the TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE (which correlates extremely close to IAT2) sensor data line and presto, the CEL is off and your back on the trail. Just asking for science.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:14 AM
mrwrench
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The audio need MS can bus , I think my truck doesn't have MS can bus...

Old 03-27-2018, 01:36 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
As i recall from my research the 06&07 don't have any buss communications to the audio system in the F-series.
They do have a VSS signal lead at the audio harness. but that is about it. It would b nice in some ways if they had
buss access so that you could add somethings or access the buss without going to the OBD2 port.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not too long ago I did a lot of research on this.

Here are some cliff notes from memory...

The bus you need for the newer Nav was added in 2008 (for a total of three networks). One of the key features of a CAN BUS is the bus master. this is what really makes a "CAN BUS" network. there was a company that made a module that added enough of the bus master to make the NAV work on the earlier truck. It is no longer made; I had a post about getting them to make more but no one was interested.

All vehicles that have more than one CAN BUS have what is called a gateway. this gateway translates necessary messages between the various buses. In our trucks (05-07), the gateway is in the instrument cluster and is attached to the two buses there.

In 08-16 trucks they moved the gateway to the interior fuse box which became the more than a fuse box and is actual the main body control module.

One interesting thing I came across is that the buses in the 05-07 trucks remained in the 08-16 trucks with the same protocols and functions. What this means is that if you take the interior including all the modules from a 2016 truck they should interface fine with the 6.0 so long as you wire the engine fuse box to the 08+ interior fuse box correctly. I actually laid out the necessary wiring for the conversion in my notes. Also, based on my research it should also be possible to put in the full sync3 system and automatic dual zone climate control.

Looking at some preliminary data, the 360 degree view and the cool trailer stuff they added in 2017 might also be able to be added but I need to get a 17+ service manual to look at the systems and wiring to find out.

I have plans to make a test rig to verify all this but unfortunately I lack the funds to purchase an interior from a newer truck. Note to make everything work right you would need a dash with the myford touch design and a dual zone A/C box and dash frame from a 6.4 (due to firewall differences made in the 6.7).

Richard

Old 03-27-2018, 05:35 PM
mrwrench
Tuned
that company was 4dtech?

Old 03-27-2018, 06:01 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mrwrench
that company was 4dtech?
Sounds about right.... I would have to check my notes.

Richard

Old 03-27-2018, 07:27 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Not too long ago I did a lot of research on this.

Here are some cliff notes from memory...

The bus you need for the newer Nav was added in 2008 (for a total of three networks). One of the key features of a CAN BUS is the bus master. this is what really makes a "CAN BUS" network. there was a company that made a module that added enough of the bus master to make the NAV work on the earlier truck. It is no longer made; I had a post about getting them to make more but no one was interested.

All vehicles that have more than one CAN BUS have what is called a gateway. this gateway translates necessary messages between the various buses. In our trucks (05-07), the gateway is in the instrument cluster and is attached to the two buses there.

In 08-16 trucks they moved the gateway to the interior fuse box which became the more than a fuse box and is actual the main body control module.

One interesting thing I came across is that the buses in the 05-07 trucks remained in the 08-16 trucks with the same protocols and functions. What this means is that if you take the interior including all the modules from a 2016 truck they should interface fine with the 6.0 so long as you wire the engine fuse box to the 08+ interior fuse box correctly. I actually laid out the necessary wiring for the conversion in my notes. Also, based on my research it should also be possible to put in the full sync3 system and automatic dual zone climate control.

Looking at some preliminary data, the 360 degree view and the cool trailer stuff they added in 2017 might also be able to be added but I need to get a 17+ service manual to look at the systems and wiring to find out.

I have plans to make a test rig to verify all this but unfortunately I lack the funds to purchase an interior from a newer truck. Note to make everything work right you would need a dash with the myford touch design and a dual zone A/C box and dash frame from a 6.4 (due to firewall differences made in the 6.7).

Richard
Does this include 2005 6.0L Excursions? Excellent information, thanks for sharing.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:31 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by chetspencer
Does this include 2005 6.0L Excursions? Excellent information, thanks for sharing.
It might if it has the two main can buses

Richard

Old 03-27-2018, 09:35 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
Sounds about right.... I would have to check my notes.

Richard
I do recall that post. But don't recall the thread that is was in.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:30 PM
mrwrench
Tuned
Angry can bus for navigation

basically we can't put Ford navigation in ours 05 trucks . Because the absence of MS-can-bus
The newer Clarion Ford need MS-can
The previous Pioneer Ford also need Can-bus but there is one without chrome buttons that can be reprogrammed to work in non can-bus trucks .....
Please correct me if I'm wrong......
Maybe I'm go ahead and buy that Chinese units Android base ... the one that fit perfectly in the 05 dash....

Old 03-29-2018, 01:32 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Not a Ford unit but Pioneer does have the AVIC-z130BT that can be used it only needs the VSS.
I am not up on there newer units but I think the AVIC-z140 will also work. The down side is your stuck
with the Pioneer nav system,.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:24 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mrwrench
basically we can't put Ford navigation in ours 05 trucks . Because the absence of MS-can-bus
The newer Clarion Ford need MS-can
The previous Pioneer Ford also need Can-bus but there is one without chrome buttons that can be reprogrammed to work in non can-bus trucks .....
Please correct me if I'm wrong......
Maybe I'm go ahead and buy that Chinese units Android base ... the one that fit perfectly in the 05 dash....
I don't recall any Ford nav that didn't require a can bus signal to turn on. I don't really remember tho. I got a Kenwood unit without nav but that supported apple carplay and Android auto. They were a lot cheaper and if you have a cell the nav woorks better than most aftermarket head units.

I would still love to try sync3 and the newer dash system... And memory seats 😀

Richard

Old 03-31-2018, 06:13 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
We now have 2 Fusions, a 2013 and 2018. The 2013 has Sync 2 My Touch and did not come with Nav. Using FORSCAN and a few downloads I was able to get NAV working, I had to buy an A8 card for maps. The 2018 has Sync 3 and it is a little different but with only 700 miles on it I am not hacking it... yet. It did come with NAV.

want to make more dash modifications on the 2013 but the ELM wireless does not have CAN-BUS, is this why I cant see the dash module?

Old 04-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Found the answer to my own question:

Most cheap OBD Scanners and Tools will only read the HS1-CAN Network... need a higher end OBD Scanner to read the other networks.

Ford official VCM II scan tool (R9805 or R9807) is recommended.

For Smartphones, the OBDLink MX or OBDLink MX WiFi is recommended ( LX OR SX Models will NOT work correctly!)

Old 04-04-2018, 06:01 PM
mrwrench
Tuned
ELM

Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Found the answer to my own question:

Most cheap OBD Scanners and Tools will only read the HS1-CAN Network... need a higher end OBD Scanner to read the other networks.

Ford official VCM II scan tool (R9805 or R9807) is recommended.

For Smartphones, the OBDLink MX or OBDLink MX WiFi is recommended ( LX OR SX Models will NOT work correctly!)
Buy ELM modified with HS and MS can bus.

Quick Reply: CAN BUS