Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hydra mount/bezel? Really?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,438 Likes on 2,839 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason

Meanwhile, there is this option that I am seriously considering... Seems especially cool with an Android-based head unit.

Cyclops - Power Hungry Performance
I had not seen that before and certainly an option, but at $170 it will be a last resort or a summertime upgrade.

Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
You might check with Joe, CSIPSD, I have seen him mention he is coming up with something for the Hydra mounts.
Thanks, I sent him a PM here on FTE and linked this thread to him. Hopefully he came up with something for all of us to use, buy or copy.

Originally Posted by carguy3j

See those little "slots"/vents in the dash just below the ribbon cable?
Make yourself one of those, with a dremel, right at the bottom of the switch, or maybe even up a little. Tuck the cable through there, and paint the tiny bit remaining out black, and you'll never really see it.
I do, but that does not allow for the switcher to be mounted flush or recessed into the dash. I would like something that is minimalist and clean looking. I am willing to bet that most people don't mind mounting the Hydra switcher to the dash, but I am not like most people I guess.

Good ideas though, keep them coming...

Old 01-21-2016, 10:57 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,887 Likes on 1,139 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I am willing to bet that most people don't mind mounting the Hydra switcher to the dash, but I am not like most people I guess.
Apparently, neither am I.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Apparently, neither am I.
If/when I get something together I can see about doing a second if you are interested and since we are only 1 hour-ish apart it should not be difficult to get it to you.

I am determined at this point to figure something out though.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
i personally like the **** better then this style of switcher.... i just seem to be able to bring myself to drill up to a 1/2" hole in my dash easier than cutting out this big honking square hole.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
If/when I get something together I can see about doing a second if you are interested and since we are only 1 hour-ish apart it should not be difficult to get it to you.

I am determined at this point to figure something out though.
I'm anxious to see what you come up with! You have my full support!

On a separate note, Scott Dove came by the other day and mentioned he would like to host a GTG (when it warms up) at his place in Ellijay, GA. He has a shop and a big barn where we could wrench on a few trucks under roof and has room for a few RV's if anyone wanted to stay.

We are enjoying the snow and excited there is more on the way!!!

Old 01-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am working on a new mount for the Hydra. It will be avalable in the coming weeks...

The Cyclops is a great option and what I run in my personal truck... Love love love the cyclops app.

Best part is once in the no start setting, trucks not moving without a tow truck.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Originally Posted by F250_
How much security is in the Bluetooth link? (I'll admit right up front that I'm not a Bluetooth user and am consequently not knowledgeable at all regarding that technology. I am, though highly cautious (suspicious) regarding the potential security weaknesses surrounding non-wired connections).
There is no issue with the cyclops... Yes you can change tunes from about 100 feet away, but what harm is that going to cause.

I've been running it since before it was released to the public. Not a single issue in that time.

Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
You might check with Joe, CSIPSD, I have seen him mention he is coming up with something for the Hydra mounts.
I believe my account is still locked. I'll have to try and log in... LOL

Old 01-21-2016, 07:08 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check this FB link out and look at the post dated 11-13-15...

www.facebook.com/powerhungryperformance/

Old 01-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jhl3
Check this FB link out and look at the post dated 11-13-15...

www.facebook.com/powerhungryperformance/
Tell me if I am missing it, but I see a round gauge style switcher? If that is the solution you were hinting to, it does look good. Although, it would not work for my application or others that already have the rectangular switcher. Besides, I really like the GH emblem on the switcher.

I am working with another FTE member on a small project that may yield a very nice end result. I am looking to make something very similar to the DP F6 switcher flush mount bezel, but fit the GH/Hydra switcher. The color may be a bit off, so painting will be required.

Working on it soon, hope to have something designed and created in the near future.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 PM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Am I the only one that is a Hydra customer that is not satisfied with the velcro (hook and loop) mounting solution for the Hydra? I have scoured the internet trying to find something that would not only make the control panel look good mounted in the truck, but something that was functional as well.

I came across this piece for the DP Tuner chip, but it does not fit the Hydra. Too bad, because this is exactly what I am looking for.

Then I came across this, which might work but does not solve the ribbon cable problem/being visible for the Hydra.

I do know that if I cannot find something or I am informed of something I am happy with, then I will be building/creating something that looks good and is functional which hides the ribbon cable, but keeps the controller in plain sight and well within reach.
The top mount works fine with the Hydra, and a few minutes work with a file. I think I have a pic posted in a prior thread from a few years ago.

Mark

Old 01-22-2016, 07:07 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-22-2016, 07:11 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot

Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
The [above] works fine with the Hydra, and a few minutes work with a file. I think I have a pic posted in a prior thread from a few years ago.

Mark
I'd like to see that. Does it allow easy removal of the switcher?

Here's the KT Performance option referenced above for the who don't facebox.

To be clear, I'd like to see a mount that does not leave the cable exposed and provides a way to plug the switcher into the mount (with one hand).

Honestly, I'm not in love with the switcher as it is. It lacks the 'stock' appearance that I prefer. Something that more resembles the factory gauges/switches - or is less obvious would be nice. What would be really cool is to re-purpose something like the odometer reset button and put the display in the rear view mirror or overhead console... I know I'm not the only one here who would spend more time to install something if it produced the results we are looking for. (or, maybe I am! )

Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Mark, I will see if I can find your post from "a few years ago" with pictures of the Hydra switcher in the DP F6 bezel. I have read in numerous instances where the Hydra does not fit, but perhaps with a bit of modification to the bezel it would fit just fine, I really have no idea because I don't know any measurements or dimensions of the DP Tuner version.

The round switcher is a good idea, but that would mean mounting another gauge pod or something and I would prefer not to do that. I like the GH symbol on the switcher, I think it adds something to it, but need to find a reliable and decent looking mount for it instead of a 1" strip of velcro.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Like I said, I am working on a switch mount like the gauge mounted one that will be included with the Hydras, and also working on one very similar to the one that mounts it in the dash...

I strongly recommend looking at the Cyclops app. Its not $170 as was mentioned before, not as low as I had hoped in testing, but the bluetooth hardware is not free...

I really love the ease and cleanliness of the Cyclops.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:40 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interested in results. Scribing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydra mount/bezel? Really?