Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Looks great!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:41 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the way that came out.

Anything new for mounting options?

I don't have any gauges on the pillar as for me I don't like them there. I have the gauge pod above the review mirror as well as the F-650 panel and don't think the style mount will work down there. On the panel next to the steering wheel is another gauge so that spot is out.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:24 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
K, i'll get a hold of you another way if you don't mind.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
OK... I know how to handle this. I'd like to know if anybody is aware if a to-be-unnamed vendor is providing a product that recesses into the dash not unlike a competitor's controller mount. If it is recessed, one could answer "recessed". If it is a surface mount or it protrudes from the dash, one could say "surface". If it is attached to a gauge or steering console in some way, one could say "piggyback". None of the above would make me dizzy until I feel urpy.

I'd just like to know some key words for a search, so whatever other term works. Something like "I hear tell there is a controller mount that uses the (blank) mounting system".

Old 02-23-2016, 06:49 AM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run the Cyclops... I suggest anyone with an Android do the same. So clean, so simple...

Old 02-23-2016, 08:02 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Scotty, I settled on the mounting option with the picture above. I decided against the flush/recessed mounting option due to time and material development involved, but mainly because I wanted the switcher to serve as a security device as well. If the switcher was recessed I would think that after putting in the "no start" setting that the removal of the switcher would be more of a pain in the *** than I wanted.

Someone may come up with better solution than what I have, but for now this was my best option in order to keep the security function working and have a nice visual appearance.

I have been in the truck a couple of times since installing the switcher off the pod and it was not in my way of vision or distracting in the slightest. So far, I am very happy with how things turned out.

Cyclops was definitely a consideration, but I had already spent close to $500 on the GH Hydra and was not interested in spending too much more. I am not 100% sure on how the Cyclops works, but I did not want the switcher located under the dash somewhere. Again, I think this would be eliminating the security of the no start feature built into the Hydra.

If you feel like you want to mount the switcher up high in the head board or something, you can have custom cable lengths (up to 10 ft) made by PHP or make them yourself by sourcing the parts.

Hydra Ribbon Cable - Power Hungry Performance

When I was contemplating mounting the switcher in a remote location, I was planning to round off the flat ribbon cable by following the directions below.

Tutorial: How to sleeve your ribbon cables (IDE, Floppy, XFI Front panel, etc.) | TechPowerUp Forums

I hope this information helps someone when they are in a search for their preferred method of mounting the Hydra switcher.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Gaugepro
More Turbo

Cyclops...

There is on switch once you install the cyclops.

This is tucked up above the PCM on my truck. No one will ever find it, or in reality even look for it.

Best option IMHO.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:18 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
I think I settled on a resting place for mine. A little dremel tool on the DP bezel, one small hole in the dash. I tried a couple of other places but view either obscured or sun glaring off of it.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo

Couple pictures... Can be mounted both inside or outside the pillar (inboard or outboard)...

Old 05-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
Just got my DP tuner fitted today

The mount was easyto fit, cut the hole in the dash with a multi-tool, took less than an hour, removing the grin may take a bit longer!

Old 05-07-2016, 07:13 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
Just got my DP tuner fitted today

The mount was easyto fit, cut the hole in the dash with a multi-tool, took less than an hour, removing the grin may take a bit longer!
Nice job.

Are the roads in England big enough for that truck???

only 54K miles. That truck should last forever at that rate!!

Old 05-07-2016, 07:42 PM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Don't solve the problem if you don't have a pillar setup

Old 05-08-2016, 01:51 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I dunno how I ever missed this thread the first time around.

Originally Posted by Sous
Am I the only one that is a Hydra customer that is not satisfied with the velcro (hook and loop) mounting solution for the Hydra? I have scoured the internet trying to find something that would not only make the control panel look good mounted in the truck, but something that was functional as well.

I came across this piece for the DP Tuner chip, but it does not fit the Hydra. Too bad, because this is exactly what I am looking for.

That's my pic. Took that pic of my old F250 after I mounted my DP Tuner back in '09, if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by Tugly
Second - I have this big square hole in my dash where a DP tuner bezel used to be, so I am anxiously awaiting somebody to come up with something. I know people have taken Dremels to either a DP bezel or the Hydra chip to successfully mate the two together.
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog
The top mount works fine with the Hydra, and a few minutes work with a file. I think I have a pic posted in a prior thread from a few years ago.

Mark
For my current F250, when I switched from the F6 to the Hydra, I customized the Hydra switcher to make it fit.

I grabbed my belt sander, flipped it over, and then just kept sanding the edges of the switch box and test fitting until I got enough material removed to allow me to wedge the box into the mount.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 05-08-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:18 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Nice job.

Are the roads in England big enough for that truck???

only 54K miles. That truck should last forever at that rate!!
If you look closely you'll see that it's km not miles, even less! It only had 19k when I bought it, had never done a hard days work in its life, it's the nearest you could get to buying a brand new 7.3 & I consider myself very lucky to have been the one to find it. The roads here aren't that bad, but then I'm used to them!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:33 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
If you look closely you'll see that it's km not miles, even less! It only had 19k when I bought it, had never done a hard days work in its life, it's the nearest you could get to buying a brand new 7.3 & I consider myself very lucky to have been the one to find it. The roads here aren't that bad, but then I'm used to them!
Had the good fortune to live near Shefford in Bedfordshire when I was very young. All I remember was that the roads were very narrow. We had a Hillman wagon. I was too young to drive then. Still can't imagine driving an F250 there but like you say it's what your used to.

Awesome to have a truck with that kind of milage.

Sorry for the hijack gang

Quick Reply: Hydra mount/bezel? Really?