Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync has stopped working

Old 07-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
Sync has stopped working

I have a 2011 F-150 FX4. The Sync functions have completely stopped. When I press the phone or talk button, nothing happens. What have I done? How do I get it going again? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:32 AM
PrinceValium
Postmaster
PrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to all
Is it a MyFordTouch system? Have you updated the software at all? Also have you tried removing the phone and repairing it? There is a procedure for a master reset but I don't know that you need to do all of that yet. If that doesn't work here is the reset: (These resets of course put everything back to the factory setting bear in mind.)

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ter-reset.html

that is of course if you don't have the MyFordTouch screen.

If you do here is a quick way to reset the Sync.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Doc
Postmaster
Doc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud ofDoc has much to be proud of
Thanks so much for the help. I am going to bookmark those instructions. It is not the MyFordTouch system. For whatever reason, it started working on my way to work this morning. I have absolutely no clue why it's working again now. I think it decided to take a long 3-day weekend vacation.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Posting Guru
Big-Red-Lariat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
next time try pulling the fuse & just leave it out for a few minutes and chances are it will be fine. SYNC has a brain fart once in a while...was poorly tested and released too soon, has many flaws.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:03 AM
PrinceValium
Postmaster
PrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to allPrinceValium is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thanks so much for the help. I am going to bookmark those instructions. It is not the MyFordTouch system. For whatever reason, it started working on my way to work this morning. I have absolutely no clue why it's working again now. I think it decided to take a long 3-day weekend vacation.
You are welcome Shane...glad it is working now although I hate it when things fix themselves!

Old 09-17-2015, 05:00 PM
ohenry
New User
ohenry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sync problems

Sync is the single worst thing about my 2013 F150. I like my truck quite a bit, have had very few problems. But Sync truly does suck.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 PM
PrinceValium
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Sync is the single worst thing about my 2013 F150. I like my truck quite a bit, have had very few problems. But Sync truly does suck.
Welcome to the forum Ohenry!

I have to agree with you that SYNC is not a very good system. I am constantly resetting the ambient light to the color I want because it seems to reset itself to the default setting of blue all the time.

It is a really clunky system just like Windows Millennium was...and of course this is a Microsoft product! Apple would have a much better design and functionality IMO.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Frantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to beholdFrantz is a splendid one to behold
On my Fiesta it sometimes completely fails to function and then the next time I restart the car it's fine. No idea why.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:39 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep
FordIVTteam has a very good reputation on FTE.FordIVTteam has a very good reputation on FTE.FordIVTteam has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I have a 2011 F-150 FX4. The Sync functions have completely stopped. When I press the phone or talk button, nothing happens. What have I done? How do I get it going again? Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
On my Fiesta it sometimes completely fails to function and then the next time I restart the car it's fine. No idea why.
Hey guys,

Prince Valium gave you some great information! You can also check here for SYNC updates: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...p-to-date.html

Here you can find the master reset instructions for SYNC with out MyFord Touch: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ter-reset.html

Whitney

Old 09-19-2015, 03:18 PM
ohenry
New User
ohenry is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PrinceValium View Post
Welcome to the forum Ohenry!

I have to agree with you that SYNC is not a very good system. I am constantly resetting the ambient light to the color I want because it seems to reset itself to the default setting of blue all the time.

It is a really clunky system just like Windows Millennium was...and of course this is a Microsoft product! Apple would have a much better design and functionality IMO.
Not only is it a Microsoft product, it is the worst operating system that Microsoft ever shipped -- Windows CE. I have made a living off computers since 1971, I have worked with IBM mainframes, Sperry Univac mainframes, Cray XMP supercomputers, Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, Decstations, you name it, I've worked with it / on it. And Windows CE is hands down the worst.

I simply gave up on Sync and just started listening to SiriusXM. Trying to use my phone, or even just flash drives with MP3 files, is an exercise in frustration.

I had a 2011 Silverado previous to this Ford, and the stereo just worked. Nothing fancy, no voice recognition, but it worked. Every time. Plug in a flash drive, play music, easy peasy.

But aside from Sync, I like just about everything on the Ford better. The 5.0L V8 is faster and gets better gas mileage than the 5.3. The AC works better (but not as good as my old 2005 Tahoe). Is that because of the refrigerant they're using these days? No modern cars seem to have as good an AC system as the ones from a decade back.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 PM
eriebasin
Senior User
eriebasin is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=FordIVTteam;15655133]Hey guys,

Prince Valium gave you some great information! You can also check here for SYNC updates: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...p-to-date.html

I just installed an update for my 2013. The install went ok; hopefully there are some good updates! I'm having difficulty downloading the file on the jump-drive back to Ford though. I can't get the correct file to select; weird! Hopefully that won't keep the update from working well.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:01 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep
FordIVTteam has a very good reputation on FTE.FordIVTteam has a very good reputation on FTE.FordIVTteam has a very good reputation on FTE.
[QUOTE=eriebasin;15656399]
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam View Post
Hey guys,

I just installed an update for my 2013. The install went ok; hopefully there are some good updates! I'm having difficulty downloading the file on the jump-drive back to Ford though. I can't get the correct file to select; weird! Hopefully that won't keep the update from working well.

Hi eriebasin,

No worries; submitting the confirmation is not a requirement for SYNC to function properly. It just ensures that we send you the correct updates in the future.

As an alternative, you can run a Vehicle Health Report which will update your account and our records with your latest SYNC version.

Check out the steps here: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...avigation.html

Let me know how it goes.

Whitney

Old 10-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Turfzilla
Senior User
Turfzilla has a very good reputation on FTE.Turfzilla has a very good reputation on FTE.Turfzilla has a very good reputation on FTE.Turfzilla has a very good reputation on FTE.
I noticed mine quit the other day. I just pulled the Negative cable on the battery for about 30 seconds ( I did not feel like digging thru the manual to see which fuse it was). It works again!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:34 PM
wilcam47
Senior User
wilcam47 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat View Post
next time try pulling the fuse & just leave it out for a few minutes and chances are it will be fine. SYNC has a brain fart once in a while...was poorly tested and released too soon, has many flaws.
yep

Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Exactly and even with a kenwood radio system sync still has "brainfarts", I had to pull the fuse on our 2014 when the heater controls didn't work after I installed the Kenwood radio.

One of the times was a blown fuse on the radio display fuse.