6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 02:52 PM
golfgooroo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I've taken my head out of the sand, and realized my truck is prone to these valve failures, the more I dig and read, the more I find where it happens. Most under warranty so it's chalked up to a new motor BUT I'm not so lucky since i don't have the warranty.

I have not ready ANY, zero, folks that have replaced the valves before they fail and not have to trade up to a newer model truck. Buying a 2015 might be cool for some, but I don't want a new truck and a new payment. Are there any details out there on the replacement costs, etc.? Any recommendations on taking to stealership versus independent?

Thanks again, a bit paranoid at this point which is frustrating since I've loved this truck so far.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:52 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Correct me if I am wrong, but most insurance companies will not insure/warranty repairs of this nature on vehicles over 100K miles. I have looked into a few different options for my vehicles, but it seems that 100K miles is the magic number to be under.
Ford offers 7-Year/200,000-Mile/8,000-Hour Coverage for 6.0L, 6.4L and 6.7L Engines. ESP Diesel Engine Care. I'm sure you can purchase after market policies too, or you can dump the truck prior to running out of warranty. You just need a plan if something important and expensive breaks. If the plan is to contact Ford or Crystal after you have run out of coverage, this thread proves that to be a poor plan. Ford is under no obligation or desire to help.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:57 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by golfgooroo
Although I've taken my head out of the sand, and realized my truck is prone to these valve failures, the more I dig and read, the more I find where it happens. Most under warranty so it's chalked up to a new motor BUT I'm not so lucky since i don't have the warranty.

I have not ready ANY, zero, folks that have replaced the valves before they fail and not have to trade up to a newer model truck. Buying a 2015 might be cool for some, but I don't want a new truck and a new payment. Are there any details out there on the replacement costs, etc.? Any recommendations on taking to stealership versus independent?

Thanks again, a bit paranoid at this point which is frustrating since I've loved this truck so far.
I believe around $21,000.00 to replace the engine. There are a lot of early 6.7s around here with more than 100,000 miles on them. I will take my chances.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:41 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will never own my truck even 1 mile out of warranty....

There are alternatives for you, but all cost money....

Check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a 2012 Ford Super Duty engine. You will then be prompted for 6.2 or 6.7... Select 6.7
The screen shot below was of the more expensive ones out there. You may have to have palleted and shipped if not near you.
Alternatively, you could trade the truck in as it sits. A Ford dealer will give you more than you could get for it on the open market. They would either fix it and sell it or auction it off..
I feel pretty bad for you - but - not much I or anyone can do for you other than commiserate...

Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 PM
golfgooroo
Senior User
Come on guys, I'll be calling the dealerships around Houston tomorrow to get some options, but has anybody replaced the valves, etc. prior to detonation? This has got to be an option. I refuse to drive a truck that is destined for failure. Anybody out there with a job1 2011 truck that has replaced the valves to prevent the new engine replacement. I'd much rather pay approx. $2500 to fix the problem than rate for doomsday and pay $15000.

I'll be looking for low mileage 2012 F350s tomo as well, but that is well down the list and I hope to not have to trade.

The absolute best case is that I get Ford to step up and replace their flawed system before it destroys itself. Kinda funny how much business they stand to lose with how much influence folks have over their kids, grandkids, friends, etc. when stuff like this goes sorrow.

Mostly I'm looking for folks that have fixed their 2011!!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:59 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Swiped from another thread "6.7 in a 6.4 chassis":

Anyways, I just ordered the two new 2015 6.7 heads which Ford had improved them a bit over the prior years. These heads are suprisingly very cheap, well cheap for what there are anyways. Aluminum heads complete with all the valves and springs, that's sixteen valves per head!! They retail for about $650 each and I was able to get them for $465 each!!!! Found a Ford Dealership out of California over on Powerstrokearmy.com that offers it's members some pretty crazy good prices!!! 20% TO 40% OFF ON FORD OEM PARTS - PowerStrokeArmy. A huge THANKS to the folks over at SUNRISE FORD!!!!!

Maybe you would want to buy the complete head assemblies rather than replacing valves.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 AM
ColdH2O
Senior User
Originally Posted by golfgooroo
Come on guys, I'll be calling the dealerships around Houston tomorrow to get some options, but has anybody replaced the valves, etc. prior to detonation? This has got to be an option. I refuse to drive a truck that is destined for failure. Anybody out there with a job1 2011 truck that has replaced the valves to prevent the new engine replacement. I'd much rather pay approx. $2500 to fix the problem than rate for doomsday and pay $15000.

I'll be looking for low mileage 2012 F350s tomo as well, but that is well down the list and I hope to not have to trade.

The absolute best case is that I get Ford to step up and replace their flawed system before it destroys itself. Kinda funny how much business they stand to lose with how much influence folks have over their kids, grandkids, friends, etc. when stuff like this goes sorrow.

Mostly I'm looking for folks that have fixed their 2011!!
golfgooroo:

I'd be interested in what you find out with regard to a proactive fix rather than trading off a perfectly good truck in order to avoid a problem.

I own a 2011 F-350 Lariat that I had ordered in spring 2010 (built June 2010) with the 6.7 L engine. So it fits the "early build" criteria of the 6.7 engines that have exhibited the problem. My truck looks and runs like it is brand new and hasn't had a problem with the exception of a driver's side mirror. This is my favorite truck of all time and I was hoping to get at least 10 years service out of it since it is in such good shape.

Since the 6.7 engine, transmission, and pollution control systems were all new in the 2011 model year, I had made the decision to purchase the ESP coverage at the time that I ordered the truck. This coverage is scheduled to terminate in July 2017 so I've got some time to consider a reasonably-priced fix that would allow me to get the truck to my 10-year replacement date.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:32 AM
myred1
Junior User
Originally Posted by ColdH2O
golfgooroo:

I'd be interested in what you find out with regard to a proactive fix rather than trading off a perfectly good truck in order to avoid a problem.

I own a 2011 F-350 Lariat that I had ordered in spring 2010 (built June 2010) with the 6.7 L engine. So it fits the "early build" criteria of the 6.7 engines that have exhibited the problem. My truck looks and runs like it is brand new and hasn't had a problem with the exception of a driver's side mirror. This is my favorite truck of all time and I was hoping to get at least 10 years service out of it since it is in such good shape.

Since the 6.7 engine, transmission, and pollution control systems were all new in the 2011 model year, I had made the decision to purchase the ESP coverage at the time that I ordered the truck. This coverage is scheduled to terminate in July 2017 so I've got some time to consider a reasonably-priced fix that would allow me to get the truck to my 10-year replacement date.

I'm in the same boat. I have a 05/10 build date and my extended warranty will run out in 07/17. I think I will sell the truck just before the warranty runs out and go back to gas. I can afford to fix a gas truck out of warranty but could not swallow a $10k-$20k non warranty repair on a 6.7. I only tow some what heavy (10k) a couple times a year now so a gas would be fine for me. I had a planned to keep this truck for many years but just don't trust it enough not to have a MAJOR repair.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
Swiped from another thread "6.7 in a 6.4 chassis":

Anyways, I just ordered the two new 2015 6.7 heads which Ford had improved them a bit over the prior years. These heads are suprisingly very cheap, well cheap for what there are anyways. Aluminum heads complete with all the valves and springs, that's sixteen valves per head!! They retail for about $650 each and I was able to get them for $465 each!!!! Found a Ford Dealership out of California over on Powerstrokearmy.com that offers it's members some pretty crazy good prices!!! 20% TO 40% OFF ON FORD OEM PARTS - PowerStrokeArmy. A huge THANKS to the folks over at SUNRISE FORD!!!!!

Maybe you would want to buy the complete head assemblies rather than replacing valves.
Good info, thanks Doug!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:38 PM
fski50
Junior User
contact NTSB

I hope everyone who has had their engine grenade due to bad valves is reporting this to NTSB.

Engine grenading while in operation is a safety issue. If the specific run of engines with bad valves (which predictably lead to engine destruction) is known to someone within Ford Motor Company, then not letting owners know would arguably be "negligent", with associated liabilities. The key is, whether someone knows of the specific manufacturing problem and the affected run of vehicles.

Right now, I think, Ford is playing dumb and claiming these are unpredictable issues inherent in manufacturing processes used to produce highly complex machinery. If you accept that point of view, Ford nobly and generously guarantees the engine up to 100,000 miles.

Today we have anecdotal, yet hard to ignore, evidence that 2011 engines are grenading in significant numbers. Ford has not issued a recall. So, report your incidents to NTSB, and this agency will have the credibility to look for patterns in the number of issues and clustering of production dates in the affected vehicles.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:34 PM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Significant numbers? Do you have statistics?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:41 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it a fact that pre March 29, 2011 6.7's have head problems that can lead to
catastrophic engine damage?

Old 04-30-2015, 06:50 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Well, in my opinion a fact would be something that Ford says "yes" to but that hasn't been the case. It's simply that of the failures, there have been more failures from the 2011 job1 engines built in early 2010 than 2012+ models. However, of the handful reported here over the years, they haven't all been 2011's.
Ford has also shown that once the warranty contract is over, they mean it, so they don't seem to be too concerned about it. Also, a big part of any repair is how great the dealer is.

My warranty is over in 15 days (when it rolled off the line). I lack a firm plan for my truck that has had zero engine issues (just issues with a bunch of other stuff). My option is adding the basic dieselcare 13 components plan (can still do that under 5yr/100k w/ inspection) for around $2,400 which is certainly a savings IF the engine were to blow up even with some customer pay. But the $2400 is like paying for a decent repair on a five year old vehicle for what could be no reason.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:06 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you watch the video I posted?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
I believe around $21,000.00 to replace the engine. There are a lot of early 6.7s around here with more than 100,000 miles on them. I will take my chances.

And I agree with that. If I know of anyone on this forum that I would bet on having problems it would have been Darren, he was one of the first I can remember that tuned/deleted his 2011. I thought that he was a brave soul for deleting a first year engine . Mine hits 5 year mark tommorow, with only 55K on motor but atleast 85% of that is heavy towing a 5'er.

Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
Significant numbers? Do you have statistics?

That was my exact thoughts when I read that. Sure, there are people screaming valve/injectors fail on build one, but I have seen more engine failures for HPFP failures than valve/injectors. Again, I will take my chances.

Originally Posted by kper05
Well, in my opinion a fact would be something that Ford says "yes" to but that hasn't been the case. It's simply that of the failures, there have been more failures from the 2011 job1 engines built in early 2010 than 2012+ models. However, of the handful reported here over the years, they haven't all been 2011's.
Ford has also shown that once the warranty contract is over, they mean it, so they don't seem to be too concerned about it. Also, a big part of any repair is how great the dealer is.

I think the bean counters are in charge here, betting we will all be out of warrenty before all build ones gernade... and they are winning that bet.

Quick Reply: 6.7 engine failure