6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:40 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Realsharp,

Definitely get Crystal into the loop to help you. I am on east coast time. if you call me with requested info, I would be happy to pm Crystal on your behalf. 386-864-2648

Unlike cases where there is a check engine light and stored code prior to failure, given no warning, it is easier to say it was the valve that broke off. But in motion, it is nearly impossible to tell if the glow plug broke off and caused the valve break or the other eay around.

Others with the early build glow plugs, until we find out otherwise, replace them at 4.999 years or 85k miles whichever occurs first; repeat as miles/age dictates.

Same for exhaust sensors, but 4 years or 40k miles. The latest flash may change yhis. We will see.

Both of these replacements are very cheap versus the cost/hassles of bad luck OR early trade in.

Or trade up every X years. Planned obsolescence Either way, but preemptive repairs are cheaper.

Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, reelsharp100; I want to look into this further and see what options there are to help. Send me a private message with your information and I'll get to work. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. Thank you!

Crystal

Old 04-16-2015, 04:56 PM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnD333
Realsharp,

Definitely get Crystal into the loop to help you. I am on east coast time. if you call me with requested info, I would be happy to pm Crystal on your behalf. 386-864-2648

Unlike cases where there is a check engine light and stored code prior to failure, given no warning, it is easier to say it was the valve that broke off. But in motion, it is nearly impossible to tell if the glow plug broke off and caused the valve break or the other eay around.

Others with the early build glow plugs, until we find out otherwise, replace them at 4.999 years or 85k miles whichever occurs first; repeat as miles/age dictates.

Same for exhaust sensors, but 4 years or 40k miles. The latest flash may change yhis. We will see.

Both of these replacements are very cheap versus the cost/hassles of bad luck OR early trade in.

Or trade up every X years. Planned obsolescence Either way, but preemptive repairs are cheaper.
You're saying the early build 11's should have the glow plugs replaced? Is this covered under ext warranty or just a suggested maintenance item?

Is there an updated glow plug that should be used or just the same one? RockAuto shows ZD17 for a pn for 11 & 12 glow plugs and ZD18 if I switch to a 2013.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:49 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,432 Likes on 1,025 Posts
glow plugs are not the issue. It is the tool used to confirm engine replacement.

Root cause failure is the valves.

There is no code for broken valves, but there is for glow plug failure.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine and built on or before 3/29/2011 were affected. Revised cylinder heads went into production after that. This concern is NOT limited to chassis cab vehicles. While for a short time it seemed to affect CC trucks time showed that this was not the case. I have replaced engines for this failure in BOTH pick-ups and chassis cab vehicles. Haven't seen one fail in a long time now.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:11 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for providing this info Keith. It's a very important date range for a lot of people. Maybe it could be included in the tech folder. Just reference the source? Or are you the source?

When my engine went I was in Ocala, fl and the tech who did the work was outstanding, professional, and told me he was in the group of techs that went out west to test drive, evaluate, and comment on the 6.7 before it was released. I bring this up just to throw out there that there are many great techs with real pride in their jobs who can provide us with solid info. Thanks....

Old 04-17-2015, 06:56 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The technical diagnostic information and repair instructions on this concern are found in the Ford TSB 14-0127 which supersedes TSB 12-11-11.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
2011 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine and built on or before 3/29/2011 were affected. Revised cylinder heads went into production after that. This concern is NOT limited to chassis cab vehicles. While for a short time it seemed to affect CC trucks time showed that this was not the case. I have replaced engines for this failure in BOTH pick-ups and chassis cab vehicles. Haven't seen one fail in a long time now.
Why would one fail out of many and not a lot more? I've got 115000 miles now is there anything we can do to help stop any problems?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,432 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
Why would one fail out of many and not a lot more? I've got 115000 miles now is there anything we can do to help stop any problems?

Revised heads with new valves and glow plugs.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not be quick to assume that a first time poster here was trolling... If suddenly the engine and hydrostatic drive took a crap on my $5,000 lawnmower, I would be doing an internet search and joining up with a forum to get info or share info...

Good luck to the original poster - you've gotten some solid advice here. Hopefully you have a good working relationship with a local dealer.

I would think that since Ford has recognized this as a short-coming in their quality control that they would offer an automatic extension to the warranty...
Case in point -
My wife's 2012 Ford Focus with a twin-clutch automatic (manual trans that is shifted and clutched by the computer) was just given a voluntary extension from Ford to 150k miles or ten years (I think thats the right years and miles) due to problems that they've had with those transmissions and clutch systems..

Old 04-17-2015, 07:59 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Case in point -
My wife's 2012 Ford Focus with a twin-clutch automatic (manual trans that is shifted and clutched by the computer) was just given a voluntary extension from Ford to 150k miles or ten years (I think thats the right years and miles) due to problems that they've had with those transmissions and clutch systems..
My wife owned one of those funky Focus' for a year prior to trading it in for an Escape. Although we never had a transmission failure, we also never had a tremendous amount of confidence in the transmission either. I'm sure they worked the bugs out now but we were not fans. Worst Ford purchase we have ever made. Love the Escape.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Rigdawg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow Plug Replacement

I've seen a couple of scary posts about glow plug problems with early 2011's and huge costs for engine repair. As an owner of a very early 2011 with 57K on it, and no extended warranty, I am considering replacing glow plugs now. Two questions; is it an easy do-it-yourselfer (my first diesel, don't know much about working on these engines), and 2) any ideas what it would cost to have it done by a shop, ballpark number? Thanks.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:47 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Rigdawg
I've seen a couple of scary posts about glow plug problems with early 2011's and huge costs for engine repair. As an owner of a very early 2011 with 57K on it, and no extended warranty, I am considering replacing glow plugs now. Two questions; is it an easy do-it-yourselfer (my first diesel, don't know much about working on these engines), and 2) any ideas what it would cost to have it done by a shop, ballpark number? Thanks.
Please take the time to read through this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15239705

Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Gearitis
first post and only 1 post, trolling?
It certainly is odd that the OP never came back.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Crystal, can you tell us if this person contacted you...Or is he a troll?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep - he made one post on the 16th at 5:34 AM and has not been back since... Odd....

My Crib - on the wife's Focus - this has actually been a really good car. She's put about 66k on it in just a little over two years. It knocks down between 36-39 MPG and other than the slightly confused transmission shifting, it's only got one little rattle in the hatch that I need to find (doesn't bother her)...

Quick Reply: 6.7 engine failure