1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1999 7.3 van build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I believe the exhaust that is going on it is the Diamond Eye 4" kit. It is purchased, but I don't have it in my hands yet. I have no pictures to update with yet, as I am doing the injectors right now. About the only thing I can say about doing the injectors on a van, well..... I really shouldn't repeat those words on a public forum

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:11 PM
jovibuilt
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any reason you went with Atlas springs. And not the ones ujoint sells for the 7.3's?I signed up just to follow your build.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:44 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Originally Posted by jovibuilt
Any reason you went with Atlas springs. And not the ones ujoint sells for the 7.3's?I signed up just to follow your build.
The Atlas springs are the ones supplied by Ujoint Offroad.

Last nights adventures included finishing up the injectors. Passenger side took 3 hours, driver side took an hour. I can see why some people say that the body needs to come off to do injectors. For the record, I did not pull the body to do it. I did have to pull some of the valve train apart in order to get #3 and #5 out. Installing them was a treat also, but, alas, it is done. Now I can start reassembling the rest of the motor.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:41 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Well, I got a chance to get out in the garage last night, albeit a cold one out there. I got the factory battery box moved back on the frame rail, and the second battery box mounted to the frame. This clears up a little bit of space under the hood.

The box closest is the original box, and the new box is behind it. I still have to wire up the batteries, but this is one more item checked off the list.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 AM
djbonsu
Junior User
Are you going to need a different wire harness now?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:59 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Originally Posted by djbonsu
Are you going to need a different wire harness now?
I will build a new main harness to connect the batteries together and connect it to the starter and starter solenoid.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:40 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Another day of work is done, with some more items being checked off the todo list.

The batteries are wired up and back into place.

This next picture shows why there is some slack in the wiring between the batteries.

No way am I bench pressing both batteries back in at the same time.

Fuel pump and filters have been mounted. I need to get a couple of fittings and some hose to finish off the lines.

The turbo is mounted back on the motor, along with the Superduty intake spyder.

It feels good to finally have things go back on and stay on.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
That's an interesting looking battery array---is it some sort of drop-down or swing away contraption?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:47 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Originally Posted by JWA
That's an interesting looking battery array---is it some sort of drop-down or swing away contraption?
There are 4 bolts that hold each box on the frame rail, 3 of the bolt holes on the battery boxes are slotted so that you can slide the box into place and lock it with the 4th bolt. There is a cable on each side of the box that is bolted to the frame so that the box can hang off the rail as you wire the battery in place.

It can still be quite interesting wrestling the battery box back up in place.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:34 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 79schaefer
There are 4 bolts that hold each box on the frame rail, 3 of the bolt holes on the battery boxes are slotted so that you can slide the box into place and lock it with the 4th bolt. There is a cable on each side of the box that is bolted to the frame so that the box can hang off the rail as you wire the battery in place.

It can still be quite interesting wrestling the battery box back up in place.

Steve S.
To many to list.
Interesting set up. Gives me some ideas about how to attach a house battery to the frame rail in my e250.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:42 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
This weekend was a weekend of getting some wiring done. I got the pyrometer sensor installed, the transfer case wiring "roughed in", the fuel pump wiring ran, removed the factory fuel lines and got a list together of fuel lines needed to finish off the Fass fuel pump install.

The owner stopped by to see progress so far and drop off the exhaust. Well, that side tracked me, as I wanted to install new shiny parts

I installed the exhaust from the turbo to the muffler. I also installed the exhaust brake.

The new down tube, compared to the stock. Huge difference.

This is the exhaust brake. It is protected by the transmission cross member. The wiring for the transfer case can be seen here also. All of the electronics will be housed on the passenger side foot well next to the second row of seating.

And straight shot to the muffler.

That is all for this weekend.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Still working on wiring. And there is more to come.

This is the GEM module that will control the 4x4 system. We are only using the controls for the transfer case, as the front hubs have been converted to manual hubs.

More wires to connect.

I did take a break from wiring in order to test the new intercooler tube I built for leaks.

Holding steady at 35 psi. If I tried to push 40 psi, it would blow off the rubber boot on 1 end or the other. No air leaks at 35 psi, so we are good.

We dont want to have boots blowing off while on the road, so I put the bead on the ends of the tubes to match what is on the factory truck tubes. There is a bead that is on the boot that is under the clamping area and it helps hold the boot on to the tube.

So out came the bead roller and worked the ends slowly.

That will work just right.

Within the next few days, we will be working on swapping out the front inner structure, getting ready for the '08 front swap. More pictures on the way.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:48 PM
djbonsu
Junior User
Nice progress! any advantage going with the electric transfer case over the manual other than they are usually cheaper?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Originally Posted by djbonsu
Nice progress! any advantage going with the electric transfer case over the manual other than they are usually cheaper?
It is the transfer case that came with the donor truck, and the owner didnt like the idea of the shifter handle sticking up thru the floor.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:12 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Last night the owner came over and got the spot weld cutter out and went to town on the front end. The 99 front inner structure is removed and the 08 inner structure is ready to go on.

Before the spot weld cutter attacked it.

And after. The rest was cleaned up and sprayed. This weekend, he should be able to get the '08 inner structure back on.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Quick Reply: 1999 7.3 van build thread