Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ordered a TW Chip

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:30 PM
ARW
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordered a TW Chip

After a ton of research, decided to go with a Tony Wildman chip for my early 99 ZF6.

High Idle
Economy (probably won't use that setting
Tow
Daily
Street
Extreme

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the custom tuners out there. From what I gather, Tony's tunes tend offer a bit more of an aggressive feel down low. I'm running 37's and like the idea of being able to have more low end to get them rolling from a stop. My goal is to find one "do it all" tune that keeps EGT's in line while towing and still has a nice increase in performance over stock.

Very excited and look forward to doing a write up. Before you ask, yes, gauges will be installed as well as a Riff Raff OCR.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:25 PM
TKegs763
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be having him live tune my truck, since he's right down the road from me. I Need to get my engine running a little better first. From what I have heard from other folks, it sounds like you made a good choice. Also, a good choice in tunes, although I would probably replace the extreme tune with a no start tune. Let us know how you like it!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ARW
After a ton of research, decided to go with a Tony Wildman chip for my early 99 ZF6.

High Idle
Tow
Daily
Street
Extreme

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the custom tuners out there. From what I gather, Tony's tunes tend offer a bit more of an aggressive feel down low. I'm running 37's and like the idea of being able to have more low end to get them rolling from a stop. My goal is to find one "do it all" tune that keeps EGT's in line while towing and still has a nice increase in performance over stock.

Very excited and look forward to doing a write up. Before you ask, yes, gauges will be installed as well as a Riff Raff OCR.
Congrats. But I don't think Tony has a CARB number is that's something you're going to need when it comes time for inspections.

Also not sure if you'll see much difference in a stock truck between street and extreme.

Originally Posted by TKegs763
I will be having him live tune my truck, since he's right down the road from me. I Need to get my engine running a little better first. From what I have heard from other folks, it sounds like you made a good choice. Also, a good choice in tunes, although I would probably replace the extreme tune with a no start tune. Let us know how you like it!
I don't think Tony has a no start tune. Maybe if you switch the chip to a blank spot it won't start, or maybe he does have one. I don't remember him ever mentioning it, but I don't guess I ever asked him either.

Also, you should join the NTXPSA if you're in Arlington.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ARW
From what I gather, Tony's tunes tend offer a bit more of an aggressive feel down low.
I'm not sure you're gonna like the aggressive pedal with a zf6 when you're on a bumpy road and your foot bounce is jerking the truck. It annoyed the hell out of me until I got live tuned, and I have an automatic.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:41 AM
ARW
Senior User
Originally Posted by TKegs763
Good stuff,

be sure to keep us posted on your results too.

Congrats. But I don't think Tony has a CARB number is that's something you're going to need when it comes time for inspections.

Also not sure if you'll see much difference in a stock truck between street and extreme.
If it doesn't pass emissions, I'll pull the chip. It passes with flying colors on the stock tune with intake and exhaust.

Regarding difference between street and extreme, I think you are right however every truck responds a little differently so we'll see. For example, some say their stock truck lopes some on the extreme setting while others say it does not on their stock truck.

I'm not sure you're gonna like the aggressive pedal with a zf6 when you're on a bumpy road and your foot bounce is jerking the truck. It annoyed the hell out of me until I got live tuned, and I have an automatic.
Not too concerned about it. Right now with the 37's and 3.73 gears, there is not much bottom end below 2k. The way it is now, it is lonnng way from being sensitive in the bottom end so I'm actually welcoming a much more responsive peddle for initial inputs.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:34 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I drive mine in "Economy" almost all the time.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:33 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ARW

High Idle
Tow
Daily
Street
Extreme

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the custom tuners out there. From what I gather, Tony's tunes tend offer a bit more of an aggressUive feel down low. I'm running 37's and like the idea of being able to have more low end to get them rolling from a stop. My goal is to find one "do it all" tune that keeps EGT's in line while towing and still has a nice increase in performance over stock.

Have fun & enjoy your Christmas Present!

The only piece of advice I have is fill up your tank before you install the chip. Cuz after you start playing around you won't wanna stop for hours........

Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM
ARW
Senior User
Have fun & enjoy your Christmas Present!

The only piece of advice I have is fill up your tank before you install the chip. Cuz after you start playing around you won't wanna stop for hours........
Thanks man!

Haha, yeah I'm really looking forward to finding my favorite tune.

From what I understand, custom tunes will yield a little better mpg's while driving normally because it requires less throttle effort but once you get into it, then it goes down hill over stock because you're burning a lot more fuel.

That's alright because I did not buy this truck to achieve high MPG's.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:12 AM
jr2000sd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hate mine

I got a TW chip when i put my 175cc/stock injectors in my truck and it sucks doesn't idle in stock,high idle. Tow and daily have no power at all and it brakes up at wot, going to another place for a reburn. My buddy has the same set up with no limit tunes and seems like twice my power.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:28 AM
ARW
Senior User
Originally Posted by jr2000sd
I got a TW chip when i put my 175cc/stock injectors in my truck and it sucks doesn't idle in stock,high idle. Tow and daily have no power at all and it brakes up at wot, going to another place for a reburn. My buddy has the same set up with no limit tunes and seems like twice my power.
Were you able to get a hold of Tony to see about fixing the issues?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-tw-tunes.html

Old 01-01-2015, 05:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Tony knows his stuff. You may have something going on with the truck - click the custom tunes link in my sig if you want a better explanation.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:17 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by ARW
From what I understand, custom tunes will yield a little better mpg's while driving normally because it requires less throttle effort
Absolutely not true. Changing the "sensitivity" of the accelerator pedal (by one of many possible ways) through aftermarket tuning has ZERO effect on how much fuel per hour/mile/injection event is being injected to maintain a specific RPM under a specific load under or above stock.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 PM
ARW
Senior User
Tony knows his stuff. You may have something going on with the truck - click the custom tunes link in my sig if you want a better explanation.
Agreed.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
And if your going to keep 37" tires and tow you mitt want to change the gearing as well.