Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new transfer case now tranny runs hot? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:58 PM
skibumsd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fluid is definitely brown. I dont think I saw it run above 160 before I swapped out the transfer case. I did the flow test by taking the return tranny fluid coolant line off the back of the tranny and in 30 seconds of running the excursion i had drips coming out so I am not getting tranny fluid movement really at all and definitely nothing close to a quart in 15 seconds. I was going to upgrade the tranny cooler to a 6.0 one anyways so I think my next step is to pull the hot line going to the tranny cooler on there now and make sure that it is pumping fluid or do i have a internal tranny pump problem which I am really hoping is not the issue since i supposedly have a new tranny. If I am getting flow I am going to put a 6.0 cooler on and replace the fluid. My questions is if it has slipped 3 times for a few seconds at idle speed to 5mph are the clutches in there shot or should I still be good to go with new fluid. Thanks a ton for all your help guys and if there is a better route i should take let me know what you think!

Old 11-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,589 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by skibumsd
The fluid is definitely brown. I dont think I saw it run above 160 before I swapped out the transfer case. I did the flow test by taking the return tranny fluid coolant line off the back of the tranny and in 30 seconds of running the excursion i had drips coming out so I am not getting tranny fluid movement really at all and definitely nothing close to a quart in 15 seconds. I was going to upgrade the tranny cooler to a 6.0 one anyways so I think my next step is to pull the hot line going to the tranny cooler on there now and make sure that it is pumping fluid or do i have a internal tranny pump problem which I am really hoping is not the issue since i supposedly have a new tranny. If I am getting flow I am going to put a 6.0 cooler on and replace the fluid. My questions is if it has slipped 3 times for a few seconds at idle speed to 5mph are the clutches in there shot or should I still be good to go with new fluid. Thanks a ton for all your help guys and if there is a better route i should take let me know what you think!
Your cooler might be plugged. If it were a bad pump the trans wouldn't at all.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Paul Titus
Junior User
Brown is not a good color in any tranny fluid book. Fluid should be a nice rich pink into light moroon normally, so if it's brown I'd replace it. Definitely check the pump out side, if it's not pumping or is sluggish then your good tranny isn't so good. A tranny may be OK with slipping at low mph/rpm if you didn't let it do it for long before fixing the issue. IT's letting it go too long slipping that burns out clutches.

Check the maintenance for that type tranny, some call for replacing filter while others do a flush. You can still drop the pan though and check for anything abnormal.

Given the color, that' likely the cause of the slipping anyway, but if the pump isn't flowing right you've got a bigger issue. And if they told you the tranny was good yet the color is like that I'd be calling them a liar right about now. Modern fluids are tough and do last a long time, but eventually they do break down and should be replaced per recommended intervals.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 PM
sammie0126
Postmaster
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Titus
Brown is not a good color in any tranny fluid book. Fluid should be a nice rich pink into light moroon normally, so if it's brown I'd replace it. Definitely check the pump out side, if it's not pumping or is sluggish then your good tranny isn't so good. A tranny may be OK with slipping at low mph/rpm if you didn't let it do it for long before fixing the issue. IT's letting it go too long slipping that burns out clutches.

Check the maintenance for that type tranny, some call for replacing filter while others do a flush. You can still drop the pan though and check for anything abnormal.

Given the color, that' likely the cause of the slipping anyway, but if the pump isn't flowing right you've got a bigger issue. And if they told you the tranny was good yet the color is like that I'd be calling them a liar right about now. Modern fluids are tough and do last a long time, but eventually they do break down and should be replaced per recommended intervals.

Changed mine for the first time at 80K just routine and had no issue then or since with the transmission. So dark fluid isn't a death sentence but you need to get it changed ASAP.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:32 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sammie0126
Changed mine for the first time at 80K just routine and had no issue then or since with the transmission. So dark fluid isn't a death sentence but you need to get it changed ASAP.
No but it's like being on death row with fingers crossed waiting for your appeal. When I was a kid I started out R&R'ing auto trans in different shops and draining 2-3 a day and every one had brown oil.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 AM
skibumsd
New User
Well I am starting to believe the guy who sold me the excursion was not honest with me. On a positive note I already have a 6.0 tranny cooler installed! I unhooked the line that comes out of the tranny at the front of the truck and started the truck up and there where a few drips of fluid and thats it. So i unhooked that line directly from the tranny blew it out thinking maybee it was clogged and it wasent. When i had that line unhooked I started the excursion again and no tranny fluid came out from that hole directly on the tranny either. I ran it for about 20-30 seconds and it was in park I think I should have had some flow by then correct? So i drained the tranny pan and the fluid is dark like oil. I put about 3.5 quarts of new tranny fluid through the dip stick tube started it back up hoping it would pump and still no go in 20 seconds or so. It appears I am not getting any flow of tranny fluid? I think I am going to have to take it in unless you guys have some suggestions for me. And thanks again for all your help thank god for forums!!!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I ran it for about 20-30 seconds and it was in park I think I should have had some flow by then correct?
If the pump wasn't trashed before it certainly is now! If there isn't flow in the first 1-2 seconds you have a serious problem. It could be the internal filter wasn't installed right and fell out, or the trans is very low on fluid, or the pump is broken.

I put about 3.5 quarts of new tranny fluid through the dip stick tube started it back up hoping it would pump and still no go in 20 seconds or so.
That is probably not enough fluid to get to the pickup tube. Another 20 seconds or so of running the pump dry should ensure that it's well toasted.

It appears I am not getting any flow of tranny fluid? I think I am going to have to take it in unless you guys have some suggestions for me. And thanks again for all your help thank god for forums!!!
I think it's done, but I've been wrong before. You might want to add another three quarts and see if it will pump.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:50 AM
skibumsd
New User
When I drained the tranny pan it was definitely full so there was fluid in there it was just was not circulating. I kinda figured something was wrong with the pump when it wasent moving fluid at all? I think I will drop the pan and look if the filter is still attached.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Paul Titus
Junior User
From the color of the fluid, lack of pumping of fluid you got shafted by whomever told you it was good. There are three possibilities, 1) Bad pump 2) Bad torque converter 3) Both shot. Regardless you're talking some serious bucks.

On an automatic the TC transfers power to the transmission and also engages the pump. The outer housing and female shaft of the TC transmit the engine rpm to the pump in the transmission circulating fluid through the valvebody, TC, and transmission housing and out to the cooler. The interior fins of the TC engage the gearshafts/planetaries/clutch packs via a vane/fluid system. A failing pump will not allow good pressure to build up inside the transmission causing slippage and failures to shift. In the long run low pressure will no longer deliver sufficient fluid to clutch packs and they will overheat and burn up and the transmission will not shift through gears properly.

Sorry to say, but you are looking at a minimum of several hundred dollars in parts and more in labor if not substantially more depending on how bad the rest of the transmission is internally.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:19 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Actually if your front pump loses pressure the trans is dead in the water because it is the heart of the trans.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:17 AM
skibumsd
New User

I dropped the pan of the tranny and this is what it looks like. Doesnt look good but not sure what to make of it so thought I would post to see what the experts think.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I think it's toast.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Paul Titus
Junior User

I dropped the pan of the tranny and this is what it looks like. Doesnt look good but not sure what to make of it so thought I would post to see what the experts think.

Plenty of what looks like fine metal debris in there so somethings not good. Figure on getting the tranny rebuilt because of all the particles likely floating inside the transmission case itself which haven't made it down to the pan.