Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Time for new injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:49 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for new injectors

I'm going to be ordering new injectors in the next week or so and wanted some opinions on what to get. I've been reading threads the last couple days until my eyes cross and i can't remember what I just read.

I'm thinking on getting FFD stage ones, which I believe are 160/30, a Riffraff billet wheel and a crossover, and new cups. The truck has 333,000 on original sticks and cups.

I mainly use this truck as a daily driver, occasionally towing 10k. manual tranny, 4" exhaust, dual pyro's, boost, fuel pressure, and a K&N cold air intake.

My main question is would stage 2's gain me anything or not. I don't have the cash to upgrade the turbo or fuel system right now as I just scheduled my other truck to get a BTS tranny next month.

Also need to decide on a chip / tuner. I have DP in my other truck and really like them but was thinking on trying someone else. I might go with the new F6 if others can tune it or may go with the Hydra.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:37 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
It seems to me like you've retained enough knowledge in all of your reading to make a logical decision. You, unlike most seem to know what you're planning on doing with the truck. Can you go stage II's... Oh yeah and have them detuned, you bet. Will you ever have the itch for more power... Everyone does eventually. Do you need an 8-10k pounds truck to get you up to speed in a hurry, nope. Do I?... Nope but I have one and can make a mockery out of most mustang GTs, I'm working on shelbys now . Ask yourself about what you might want to do with the truck later, if you decide for sure you'll be doing the same things with it base your decision off of that. Good luck.
EDIT: Think about your clutch too

Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have stage IIs, and there's no way I could shift fast enough to make full use of them. I also had the pleasure of shoring up everything under the body to accept the stage IIs. If you have a Buck$Zooka and an index finger with spasms, go for it.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tugly
I have stage IIs, and there's no way I could shift fast enough to make full use of them. I also had the pleasure of shoring up everything under the body to accept the stage IIs. If you have a Buck$Zooka and an index finger with spasms, go for it.
Good point Rich, even with the stock sticks I can barley keep up shifting when I get on it.

Anyone have a suggestion on a cooling system tester. Does the harbor freight one come with the right adapter for our trucks?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cjgray1974
I'm thinking on getting FFD stage ones, which I believe are 160/30, a Riffraff billet wheel and a crossover, and new cups. The truck has 333,000 on original sticks and cups.

I mainly use this truck as a daily driver, occasionally towing 10k. manual tranny, 4" exhaust, dual pyro's, boost, fuel pressure, and a K&N cold air intake......

Also need to decide on a chip / tuner. I have DP in my other truck and really like them but was thinking on trying someone else. I might go with the new F6 if others can tune it or may go with the Hydra.

Thanks guys.
You're on the right track so far.

For your application, I'd recommend Stage 1 injectors, Stage 1.5 at the most.

If you're doing a crossover, make sure you get both the Frx and Hpx.

I'd also follow your gut and try another tuning solution other than DP Tuner. I was a flag waving member of the "DP-Tuner is the best 7.3 crowd" but eventually saw the light and the world of better tuning. Seeing as you mentioned the Hydra, there are two options that I'd recommend.

Matt- Gearhead Automotive Performance. I had a DP-Tuner F5 and Jody never could get anything right when he reburned my F5, then F6 for my Stage I injectors. (Stock, it did what supposed to , kinda) My truck wouldn't run much less shift right and after 2 months of going back and forth and wondering when my engine and trans would blow up, I'd had enough....It would've been better for Jody to come physically see what was going on, we both would have learned something, but he chose otherwise and so did I. January 2012 I called Matt on the way from San Antonio, told him what I had, and in less than 45 minutes, he had a chip burned and waiting for me. I drove to his house, put the chip in, and Matt sat in the front seat to make sure I was happy with everything. I started the truck, put it in drive, drove not even 10 feet, and put it in park. Matt asked if something was wrong and I said "Nope, the trucks fixed". Between Matt's in-depth knowledge of the Powerstroke Engines and the amazing customer service, he tunes both my trucks. He is also licensed for the PHP Hydra, so if you need to have tunes adjusted, they can be emailed to you as opposed to you having to mail your chip off.

Tony-Total Diesel Performance Tony is also licensed for the PHP Hydra. While I know he has great customer service and writes some awesome tunes, Strokin' Tatsch and White Buffalo can better speak to the performance of his tunes.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Thanks guys. I also e-mailed a couple tuners and asked them the same question and they said the stage 2's wouldn't gain me anything other than a little more smokey in the bottom end. so I'm gonna stick with my original thought and get the 160/30's.

I e-mailed gearhead and TDP today and told them what I am looking for so I'll wait to hear back from them. I already have the HPX, but I am going to get the FRX, and billet wheel from Riffraff also.

Rich, is Cody the one that did your tuning? and does he tune other trucks? As happy as you are with him I would be interested in having him do mine, though I think I read somewhere a while ago he mainly only does local guys. Is there a way for me to get in contact with him? Thanks

Old 09-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
I e-mailed gearhead and TDP today and told them what I am looking for so I'll wait to hear back from them.
You can call Gearhead 979-703-7338, but per Tony's Voicemail, it's best to email him.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:12 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Does anybody know how full force does on tuning? If you buy injectors from them you can get a hydra with 6 custom tunes for $400.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...Rich, is Cody the one that did your tuning? and does he tune other trucks? As happy as you are with him I would be interested in having him do mine, though I think I read somewhere a while ago he mainly only does local guys. Is there a way for me to get in contact with him? Thanks
I'm not even sure if he'll be tuning for himself much longer. He's seriously talking about getting out of the diesel world and staying with gassers.

I find this to be a real shame, because I'm one of the few lucky people in the country that enjoys Cody's TNT tune (I named it). They were within a phone call of releasing it to the public, then it all unraveled. So a few of us have the TNT tune, and I don't know where we go from here.

DP is our generous sponsor for this forum.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:19 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Thanks Rich, that's to bad.

Another question, I'm sure I'll be having a bunch as I start the cup replacement process, Is there a certain temp that the cup compound won't set up? It's already getting down to the mid 30's at night around here and I don't have a garage to work in. Thanks

Old 09-13-2014, 05:53 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Thanks Rich, that's to bad.

Another question, I'm sure I'll be having a bunch as I start the cup replacement process, Is there a certain temp that the cup compound won't set up? It's already getting down to the mid 30's at night around here and I don't have a garage to work in. Thanks
When I changed out my stock injectors to stage 1's I was going to do cups as well. Everyone told me that if I don't have a cup issue to leave em alone or I'll be opening up a can of worms.

If your on the fence about tuning talk with Brian when your getting the trans done. I run his tunes & love them.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:59 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Franko72
When I changed out my stock injectors to stage 1's I was going to do cups as well. Everyone told me that if I don't have a cup issue to leave em alone or I'll be opening up a can of worms.

If your on the fence about tuning talk with Brian when your getting the trans done. I run his tunes & love them.
Thanks. I've heard some of the horror stories including BWST's problems and read through some of the adventures of Rich and Stinky.

I'm planning on them needing done with the miles on it and have had a couple drops of oil in my degas bottle since spring. Though my oil level hasn't dropped and there hasn't been any more showing up.

That being said. I'm gonna pressurize the system when I pull the sticks and if I don't find any leaks or see any cracks in the cups, I'll leave it alone and just put my new injectors in.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Thanks. I've heard some of the horror stories including BWST's problems and read through some of the adventures of Rich and Stinky.

I'm planning on them needing done with the miles on it and have had a couple drops of oil in my degas bottle since spring. Though my oil level hasn't dropped and there hasn't been any more showing up.

That being said. I'm gonna pressurize the system when I pull the sticks and if I don't find any leaks or see any cracks in the cups, I'll leave it alone and just put my new injectors in.
Oil in the coolant may mean your oil cooler has a small leak. I've been meaning to rebuild mine, but haven't yet. Heck I bought the rebuild kit from Clay three years ago & it's still in my center console.

That's a good plan. I mentioned doing cups and the thread was silent... until the cups arrived & then everyone said "why are you doing cups?" LOL

Old 09-16-2014, 04:06 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Well I ordered PIS 1.5's through DP A F6 and tunes, sending my PCM in to get re-tinned and flashed, and ordered the tunes for my BTS fro my other truck.

Was gonna go with FFD but they didn't offer the 160/30 in a new injector, Jody called them and said they could make them but they were gonna be about $300 more than the PIS. Jody said he runs the PIS so I thought I would give them a try.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
PIS new 160/30's....tuned by Cody on a Hydra. Pretty nice, plenty power, mpg's good (easily over 19mpg on hwy). I had a DP F6....got out of for tunes by Cody....never looked back, even though I got beat up on selling the F6 on the used market.

Quick Reply: Time for new injectors