Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'85/'82 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! The fall pictures turned out nice. I just wish I'd had the bumpers on it then so it looked finished. I'll have plenty of pictures to come.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
This is another thread I will be constantly reviewing when I start on my project.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordman96
This is another thread I will be constantly reviewing when I start on my project.
Glad I could help!

Took the old girl on it's first voyage out of town and it was just lovely. Rides like a dream and feels like a new truck - no rattles, squeaks, wind whistle, etc. I don't have a tach in it yet but it appears to rev at around 1700-2000 on the highway which is right where that engine likes to be. The power is there, but it is NOT a fast truck. Makes a lot of noise and looks cool doing it but it's not gonna do it quick Took it to get oil sprayed and got some pictures up on the hoist before it got hosed.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Look at those tires.. just "AHHH" angry!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 AM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordman96
Look at those tires.. just "AHHH" angry!
Haha they are on the agressive side. Haven't got to try them out in anything too extreme, but I will say they are not noisy on the highway

Old 02-12-2015, 08:08 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User

Nothing nuts, but it does well in the mud for being open fronts and rears. Everything froze before I could get into anything deeper than that.

I can barely remember what it's like to walk outside and not see snow. Or have to brush off this thing... It's not a good winter vehicle. Rowdy cam and carburetor = not fun at -25*C still worth it though.

Luckily I have a nice warm place to wash the salt and stuff off every week when I get home. Gives me a chance to see how my body work is holding up, no rust showing anywhere. Must have done something right

This is the most recent pic, taken last week.

The 306 - Winterized. After a few trips up to Snowin' Sound where I go to school, it was evident that the carburetor wasn't fond of winter either. I'd get going 5 or 6 miles down the road, and found I could let off the throttle and I had cruise control - the throttle plates were freezing. Along with that, the choke would freeze shut and run like a bag of poop. So I cleaned up the original air cleaner and stuck it on, along with a heat riser from the header. Problem solved!

On another note, anybody else find their heaters SUCK in these trucks!? I love this truck to death, but winter is just not it's season to shine!

Old 02-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Good idea on the air cleaner. Next, get the original ducting and put it back on so it pulls cold air from the radiator support. Next summer you'll be getting much cooler air to the carb.

On the heater, mine works well with my 195 degree thermostat. What are you running?

Old 02-13-2015, 12:31 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My heater works great when I'm moving. I can't adjust the heat due to a broken cable, or turn the fan off, but its a tropical paradise in my truck!

Old 02-25-2015, 01:04 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Good idea on the air cleaner. Next, get the original ducting and put it back on so it pulls cold air from the radiator support. Next summer you'll be getting much cooler air to the carb.

On the heater, mine works well with my 195 degree thermostat. What are you running?
I've been keeping an eye open for some original ducting, no luck anywhere. I'll likely end up putting the open air cleaner on for the summer.
I'm also running a 195 thermostat. I took the air box all out and fixed the foam around the blend door, made sure everything was clear of debris and free to move. Replaced the blower motor too - I had it wired backwards for the first month before I clued in But even now it's still not warming up well. My Flareside can be warmed up and just about put you out of the truck before the edge of town. I'm going to try replacing the thermostat, it's a new one but I'm beginning to wonder if it's defective. The carb still isn't tuned very well for the winter, that black '86 I have has a SWEET running little EFI 5.0 in it... I've been debating a swap

Originally Posted by 1985 Bronco
My heater works great when I'm moving. I can't adjust the heat due to a broken cable, or turn the fan off, but its a tropical paradise in my truck!
You're lucky! I can be on the road for a half hour and just barely have the snow melted on the floor. So glad winter is almost over haha.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by '86 F150
Great job on the bronco looks awesome. Pretty quick rebuild too. I recently picked up an all white '85 Bronco thats in way better shape than the one I was gonna restore. Need to redo my build thread. Going to resto the '85 and make the '83 into a mud truck. Hope mines turns out this nice. I like the hidden hitch idea. Looking forward to a video.
Lookin foward to the '85 build! Think we've got a 7th gen addiction

Old 05-19-2015, 01:31 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
It's finally warm! Time to go topless

Old 08-14-2015, 02:08 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Figured I'd give you guys some updates. I've put just over 11,000 km's on since I started driving it. It's been my daily driver since January and hasn't left me stranded yet. It's not just a pavement princess, it earns it's keep too

Thought I'd test it, for being a cheap lift and stock TTB it stretches out better than I thought.

Instagram filter

This one's filtered a bit too

Gator requested dirty pictures! haha

I don't suggest trying this. I never weighed it, but that's roughly 11,000 pounds on behind the Bronco.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I like the Bronco, but 11,000 lbs behind such a short vehicle could be hazardous to your health. But, it appears to pull it.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:38 PM
EffunFiddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I like the Bronco, but 11,000 lbs behind such a short vehicle could be hazardous to your health. But, it appears to pull it.
No arguement there! Only had to go about 4 miles down back roads, only up hills and not down any loaded luckily. Made good use of the slow moving vehicle sign on the wagon, pretty dicey

Old 03-03-2016, 01:00 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any updates brad?

Quick Reply: '85/'82 build thread