Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Swamps IDM verse 120 IDM

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 AM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with you Scott, no brainer. It's better than what we have, go with it or not

Old 12-06-2013, 07:03 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
An IDM 140 doesn't change SOI, nor does it make an appreciable increase in power. The only real benefits of reducing the "lag" between the SOI command and the physical implementation of it are reduced start time and a throttle pedal that is a little more responsive. Neither of which can be accomplished through tuning.
I'm not tossing stones, Scott, but you kind of contradicted yourself there. "reducing the "lag" between the SOI command and the physical implementation" IS the same as advancing the SOI. Is it enough to make a difference in the tuning? No. Besides, "timing" really doesn't do anything except make more noise and cylinder pressure...and when it becomes excessive, it actually reduces efficiency and power. But that's another story for another time. There's a recent thread on another forum where it's mentioned that more "timing" is the end-all, be-all to less smoke and more power.....it must be nice to spread misinformation all the time.

Also, tuning can accomplish both "reduced start time and a throttle pedal that is a little more responsive". A reason people choose to either stay or go away from certain tuning companies is one of those. Also, the start time can be increased, decreased, made more "authoritative", or "soft"/"gentle" in the tuning at any time. Most folks don't change the second aspect though...I like to make my 7.3Ls start like 6.0Ls.

Now, is there something to a 140-ish volt IDM? Of course, there HAS to be. It causes a reduced armature-to-coil "suction" time because of the greater magnetic field that is produced. There's no denying that and I'm glad that you love yours. I'm neither a fan or not a fan of it. If I needed to buy another IDM, I'd probably look into one. However, until that time comes, I'm not spending my money just to try it.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Using very careful wording here to clarify my position:

I raise questions to consider openly and invite feedback, I do not "suggest" anything either way. I only say I have more experience with solenoids than one would normally imagine (just one device I work with on a daily basis has 640 solenoids... and I oversee many of such devices). Many of us are familiar with the drawbacks of strengthening one thing, then discovering it stresses something else. The solenoids will very likely be just fine with the upgraded IDM, but we have enough problems with wiring harnesses without upping the amps. Stinky's doing fine without this mod, so I opt out.

I don't dissuade other from trying the mod, I just raise the questions that really should be brought up when considering it.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cookie88
An IDM 140 doesn't change SOI, nor does it make an appreciable increase in power. The only real benefits of reducing the "lag" between the SOI command and the physical implementation of it are reduced start time and a throttle pedal that is a little more responsive.

You suggest that longevity can or will be compromised. That may be true, but mine has been running without issue since I did the mod in the spring of 08. Which means that nearly half of the 285,000 on the IDM are modded miles.

Say what you will, but I'm one of those guys that thinks this mod is a no brainer and everyone should do it.
Scott thanks for weighing in on the subject. I think you have touched on some key issues here. First of all I like it when I hear you have been running this modd for over 5yrs and close to 150k without an issue.

Now as far as the statement you made that I highlighted you pointed out that the "phyical implementation" is where things get started. So it makes me think about what parts do what and when so correct me if I am wrong. First foot on the skinny pedal then the TPS sends a signal to the pcm which then sends a signal to the IDM. Then from the IDM to the injector solenoid.

Now I read on an other forum about blueprinting the throttle pedal assembly. Which makes me want to check, replace or dail in my TPS at the same time that I do the IDM. Since if the TPS doesn't give the pcm the correct signal it is looking for it too can throw things off.

Originally Posted by cleatus12r
There's a recent thread on another forum where it's mentioned that more "timing" is the end-all, be-all to less smoke and more power.....it must be nice to spread misinformation all the time.
Cody thanks for weighing on this subject even though you are not for or against the IDM mod. Because your insight on the differents aspects of what does what is helpful. And you statment above is why I am on the fence as far as tuning goes. That is why I feel that there is alot I need learn about who does what when they are tuning before I ever jump on the band wagon about who's tunes to run. Because the above statement SCARES the heck out of me! And the hard part for me sometimes is figuring what is misinformation ! But in the above statement even I know that is BS!
Too much timing makes things go "BooM" !!!!!