Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Swamps IDM verse 120 IDM (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1283056-swamps-idm-verse-120-idm.html)

BadDogKuzz 12-04-2013 09:22 AM

Swamps IDM verse 120 IDM

I have a problem with no gettie up and go off idle to 1600 rpm. Mind you I have no codes and I do believe the real issue is the E99 turbo with 1.0 housing and W.W. is the real cause because above 1600rpm it pulls strong and this was before up pipe leak. So Roland suggested a Swamps IDM to help out on the bottom end. So I am not sure if I am going to go with a Swamps 140v or just a 120v IDM. Mind you I have no plans of using tunes to solve my issue. I am trying to resolve all issues I can with still having stock tunes.

Now if I recall correctly my E99 IDM is a 100v IDM and the late99-03 have the 110v or 120v IDM. So what I am looking for is some data from guys that have gone to the Swamps 140v IDM and where did you see improvements. Also have any of you guys with a E99 gone to the 120v IDM and if so have you seen any improvements and where?

mueckster 12-04-2013 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 13807267)
I have a problem with no gettie up and go off idle to 1600 rpm. Mind you I have no codes and I do believe the real issue is the E99 turbo with 1.0 housing and W.W. is the real cause because above 1600rpm it pulls strong and this was before up pipe leak. So Roland suggested a Swamps IDM to help out on the bottom end. So I am not sure if I am going to go with a Swamps 140v or just a 120v IDM. Mind you I have no plans of using tunes to solve my issue. I am trying to resolve all issues I can with still having stock tunes.

Now if I recall correctly my E99 IDM is a 100v IDM and the late99-03 have the 110v or 120v IDM. So what I am looking for is some data from guys that have gone to the Swamps 140v IDM and where did you see improvements. Also have any of you guys with a E99 gone to the 120v IDM and if so have you seen any improvements and where?

E99's have a 110v IDM. OBS were 100v. L99-up are 120v. I ran a modded IDM using the resistor mod to up it to 140v. Swamps does a bit more that just change a resistor. I ran a 110v IDM a short time, while I was waiting on reman 120, to switch back to, and notice little, if any, difference between the two. I would go with a 140v.

jhand124 12-04-2013 07:08 PM

I noticed a SOTP difference after I modded mine from 110 to 140. Definitely go with 140, if your going make a change.

JOHN2001 12-04-2013 07:18 PM

How does one go about this? What exactly is it and what does it do?

jhand124 12-04-2013 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by JOHN2001 (Post 13808957)
How does one go about this? What exactly is it and what does it do?

Here is a link
Swamps IDM

cleatus12r 12-04-2013 08:30 PM

...and the model number of the IDM has nothing to do with the output voltage.

They all run between 110-115 volts depending on condition/age.....even the old 100A boxes. I've tested them all (except any that have been modified).

BadDogKuzz 12-04-2013 11:45 PM

Thanks guys for your input on the subject. :-wink Now as far as the 4 different IDM models out there the 100a, 100, 110 and 120 I was always under the impression that was what their voltage output was. So seeing that they all put out a 110 volt I agree that instead of wasting my time with a 120 IDM which actually isn't much different that what I am running but yet the same voltage. So when I get a chance to take my truck out of service to do some other things I will be sending my IDM to Swamps for the upgrade. What I like about what Swamps does to the IDM is not only do they increase the voltage to 140 volts but they change to a higher frequency. So instead of me trying to explain something I really don't fully understand I think this link does explain all that they do and about the 7.3 IDM.
7.3 Power Stroke IDM

jhand124 12-05-2013 01:01 AM

Ed, why did you go with the bigger exhaust housing with no tunes, just curious?

Tugly 12-05-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jhand124 (Post 13810018)
Ed, why did you go with the bigger exhaust housing with no tunes, just curious?

If you do the redline mod, you can nudge over the max for the stock exhaust. I'm not saying the stocker will choke the truck, I'm saying there is a slight difference in performance and a noticeable difference in EGTs with stock tuning if you help the air in and out. I have been able to reach 22 PSI with only air flow mods... the PCM then defuels if I try to go over that. A boost fooler would let a stock tune go just a little more.

The 140V IDM will activate the solenoids quicker, slightly increasing the Start Of Injection. Earlier SOI is one tuning trick to increase power, but a tuner needs to know you have one of these so you're not getting a double-bump on SOI. The higher voltage is also applying "more power" to your solenoids, and any time you power something up on these trucks - you have to ask "Where's the next weak link?". I say this mod is not going to find its way under Stinky's fender. Tuning alone would do the same as this mod, without stressing the IDM, the solenoids, or the connectors.

Robert6401 12-05-2013 08:45 AM

Ed, I really don't think the Swamps IDM is going to help give you what you're looking for. I went with a Swamps when I had an IDM failure because it just made sense to upgrade while it was down. I am happy with my decision, as the Swamps IDM does increase throttle responsiveness a bit. The only other noticeable difference is that the truck fires up with more authority. I really think the IDM does nothing to aid in the bottom end, at least nothing noticeable.

I would certainly advocate going with the Swamps IDM if there was need to replace a defective IDM, but I can't in good conscience recommend you spend your hard earned money on it. You would notice a slight difference in how the truck runs, but ultimately you'd be disappointed because it wouldn't solve the issue you're having.

Why the aversion to tunes? I think the only way to get what you're looking for is to get a bump over stock. Good luck.

BadDogKuzz 12-05-2013 10:32 AM

Well I will try to explain my point of view on these issues you guys have pointed out. First of all I have had a bad experience about 10 yrs ago with tuners when I was running a '99 Caddy STS that I had about $50k in when all was said and done. First of all it was my fault by asking the tuner to get me the most hp I could out of it. I wanted things changed to my liking with tuning instead of hard parts. Mind you I had also dropped alot of $$ on MAS, injectors,intake, exhaust, flow benched heads and when all was said and done a new engine too. Long story short I windowed the block at +100mph. That car wasn't the quickest but it was very fast! I once when to jail because I was clocked at 151mph. Just alittle back story.

So lets just say I have a hard on for tunes and don't agree with people that ask a tuner to fix everything by tuning. But I do agree that in the case of the 7.3 in modded form it does need it to be tuned to work correctly. In stock form like mine I do believe at some point I am going to have to give in and get some tunes to make up for it's short comings. But before I go there I want to address all issues I can with hard parts. And use stock tuning as my base line. You may not agree with me but IH & Ford put alot of R&D into their tuning. They also keep in mind that they were looking for a B50 life of at least 350,000. So that is not fair to compare it to someones aftermarket tunes. Come on now how many guys that run tunes have over 350,000 on their engines.... NOT many if any. I feel tuning for hp lowers the B50 life of the 7.3. Now there are some 7.3's out there with 500k and better. But of them how many have been running tuning for that many miles. My goals are NOT about hp it is about hopefully getting 500k out of my truck which is actually the rest of my life. I have way too many toys to be putting all my $$ into a truck I use to tow with and take the family on trips.
7.3L Power Stroke Specs

Jason the reason I went to a 1.0 housing was to lower egt's, lower drive pressure in the turbo and make it easier to tow down the highway. It did do all I asked but it did cost me my bottom end. You know a E99 has a great bottom end in stock form just not much on the top end. Mind you higher drive pressure lowers turbo life or should I just say it is harder on the bearings and turbine shaft.

Rich I agree with you about the SOI but I do not agree with your statement that more power is going to be harder on the soleniods or wiring. If you read the link carefully I posted and the one Jason posted there is no proof that is true. What would cause an issue you are speaking of would be increasing the amp load but the IDM modd really doesn't increase amps. Voltage itself does NOT cause problems like a higher amp load would.

Bob thanks for the heads up on what to expect out of Swamps IDM. But I do believe every little bit will help. Mind you I am not going to run out and get it and expect it to cure all. But down the road I think I'll have to keep in mind what Rich said about tuning & IDM and doubling up on the SOI. I personally think messing too much with the SOI for the sake of hp is what causes engines to go "BOOM"

Sorry for being long winded but I felt I needed to explain myself and my approach to getting my truck dialed in for my needs. :-blah

Tugly 12-05-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 13810907)
...I was running a '99 Caddy STS...

...So lets just say I have a hard on for tunes and don't agree with people that ask a tuner to fix everything by tuning...

...You may not agree with me but IH & Ford put alot of R&D into their tuning. They also keep in mind that they were looking for a B50 life of at least 350,000...

...Rich I agree with you about the SOI but I do not agree with your statement that more power is going to be harder on the soleniods or wiring. If you read the link carefully I posted and the one Jason posted there is no proof that is true. What would cause an issue you are speaking of would be increasing the amp load but the IDM modd really doesn't increase amps. Voltage itself does NOT cause problems like a higher amp load would...

...I personally think messing too much with the SOI for the sake of hp is what causes engines to go "BOOM"...

1. Gas vs. Diesel - I'm sure we can agree the differences are too vast to really compare the two.
  2. Everybody knows where I stand on getting the hardware to 100% before tuning - your voice adds to the chorus.
  3. As for the efforts of Ford and IH, I completely agree - zero argument. I like the AC 160/stock injectors that IH engineered for the 7.3 - this a viable upgrade, while keeping the B50 numbers good (lower EGTs).
  4. I can see what you're saying about the amps... but the solenoid is XYZ ohms, and Ohm's law takes over from there. More voltage? More amps. The brochure might have worded it carefully enough so as not to defy physics. Also... what of the collapsing field in the solenoid with the higher voltage?
  5. The SOI isn't bumped hard by the IDM, but an aggressive tuner (and the owner) could be hamstrung by this.

BadDogKuzz 12-05-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 13811132)
  1. Gas vs. Diesel - I'm sure we can agree the differences are too vast to really compare the two.
  2. Everybody knows where I stand on getting the hardware to 100% before tuning - your voice adds to the chorus.
  3. As for the efforts of Ford and IH, I completely agree - zero argument. I like the AC 160/stock injectors that IH engineered for the 7.3 - this a viable upgrade, while keeping the B50 numbers good (lower EGTs).
  4. I can see what you're saying about the amps... but the solenoid is XYZ ohms, and Ohm's law takes over from there. More voltage? More amps. The brochure might have worded it carefully enough so as not to defy physics. Also... what of the collapsing field in the solenoid with the higher voltage?
  5. The SOI isn't bumped hard by the IDM, but an aggressive tuner (and the owner) could be hamstrung by this.

Rich thanks for weighing in on the subject it helps add fuel for thought.
1: I agree they are totally different animals but in both tuners start to move the timing and or SOI around per what the customer is asking for. I just brought that case up to say why I have issue with tuning. And I am sure there are many 7.3's that have bite the dust due to tuning or owners running the wrong tune at the wrong time.
2: We both agree that getting hardware dialed in is a big part of getting these 7.3's to run right.
3: AC injectors are a good call as far as B50 and improvement over Ford's injectors. But sometimes I forget my goal and start looking at bigger injectors then I need to check myself and remember what my goals are.
4: I do believe you might be right that there might be an issue if you did the math and looked at it unbiasly. But in my case I think it could only help my tired old AB's try to get the job done. And as far as trying to get my injectors to work the best they can I went with the T500 and that too helped.
5: Very good point when it does come time to get tunes. But at this point even a very little bit more SOI would be helpful. I think my IDM is getting tired and like Cody point out that some IDM's don't always put out the 110v that they should and the Swamps IDM upgrade is actually a good bang for the buck. Now if a new not reman IDM was about the price of Swamps IDM I think I would go with new. But like they say poop in one hand and wish in the other hand and see which fills up first.

Tugly 12-05-2013 02:58 PM

T500... I am so in line with you on that. I have piles of AE data that show what a kick in a saggy truck's a55 that is. The T500 alone brought up the ICP 40% at WOT, then the T500 plus tuning brought the ICP up 75% at WOT.

cookie88 12-05-2013 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tugly
The 140V IDM will activate the solenoids quicker, slightly increasing the Start Of Injection. Earlier SOI is one tuning trick to increase power, but a tuner needs to know you have one of these so you're not getting a double-bump on SOI. The higher voltage is also applying "more power" to your solenoids, and any time you power something up on these trucks - you have to ask "Where's the next weak link?". I say this mod is not going to find its way under Stinky's fender. Tuning alone would do the same as this mod, without stressing the IDM, the solenoids, or the connectors.

You're giving this mod more credit than is due......and you're missing out. An IDM 140 doesn't change SOI, nor does it make an appreciable increase in power. The only real benefits of reducing the "lag" between the SOI command and the physical implementation of it are reduced start time and a throttle pedal that is a little more responsive. Neither of which can be accomplished through tuning.

You suggest that longevity can or will be compromised. That may be true, but mine has been running without issue since I did the mod in the spring of 08. Which means that nearly half of the 285,000 on the IDM are modded miles.

Say what you will, but I'm one of those guys that thinks this mod is a no brainer and everyone should do it.