Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Turbo wheels

Hello

Question??

I found a new turbo wheel that goes into a 1999- 2003 7.3 power stroke.

My truck is a 1995 what will be the difference between the old wheel and the new model in performance.

I am sure for $40 for the new compressor wheel something is fishy.

Does anyone know??

My compressor wheel was destroyed by a DuraLite filter failure

Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Not an upgrade. Fact is people put the OBS wheel into the SD turbo to reduce surging. But it should work to get you making boost again.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 PM
lindstromjd
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A super duty compressor wheel in an OBS turbo is a downgrade. The "wicked wheel" is essentially an OBS wheel in a super duty turbo.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

A wicked wheel II is an upgrade over both.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by lindstromjd
A super duty compressor wheel in an OBS turbo is a downgrade. The "wicked wheel" is essentially an OBS wheel in a super duty turbo.
A SD wheel will flow more air than a OBS wheel.

The reason sd guys use the obs wheel is because of turbo surg/stall which is caused by a combo of the small turbine housing and the wheel.

You will not have a surge issue in a obs.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
I hate to be such a dumb A$$ ol' man.

I have read a ton of post on this site.....I just wish I knew what ya'll are talking about when you guys use all the things like

SD
OBS
EDVP
IDM

Sorry to be such a pain, but the truck is kicking my butt. The reason is I am a good mech. an that is all I have ever done. I have worked on all types of machinery for 44+ years. Now being old and wore out and fat with 3 stints in my heart and on all kinds of medications. What I know how to do and what I am able to do is a totally different story

I guess I need to spend more time in searching these abbreviations in the search sections when I finish getting my truck back up and running

Old 09-18-2013, 08:57 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OBS= Old Body Style
SD= Super Duty
IDM= Injector Drive Module
EDVP not sure what that one is

Heres a link to common acronyms: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...finitions.html

Old 09-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
OMG....

Thanks that is one awesome information section

I added it to my favorites......I may not live long enough to know them all, but it sure helps

Thanks..

Old 09-18-2013, 11:52 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
This is a link that many have found helpful. It can be found at the top of the first page in the (read first in Red) tech/mod/links Diagnostic FAQ

Tips - Idea - Hints

Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
A SD wheel will flow more air than a OBS wheel.

The reason sd guys use the obs wheel is because of turbo surg/stall which is caused by a combo of the small turbine housing and the wheel.

You will not have a surge issue in a obs.
Mike is correct. The newer style SD wheel does flow more air than the factory OBS wheel does. He is also correct in that using this wheel on an OBS shouldn't result in the surging issues that the SD trucks have. So yeah, you can use an SD wheel without any problems if you got one laying around.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:54 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

So there should be in theory a slight performance gain potential?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:31 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
enough to support stage 1's?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:32 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wildstang
So there should be in theory a slight performance gain potential?
Potentially, yes a very slight gain. I would not say it would be enough for stage 1's b/c a stock charger isn't even enough turbo for a set of tuned AD's. I would say at minimum a WWG2 is needed for stage 1's, but you'll still need to use a tow tune that is pretty friendly with the EGTs. That is with the assumption that you want the turbo to be efficient enough for the injectors. I ran a completely stock turbo with stage 1's and stage 2's for years, just had high EGTs when towing and had to drive by the pyro A LOT when towing. Saw 1600*+ on WOT runs from 0-80mph.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
ok - so i'm pretty stupid/inexperienced with turbos, but is the problem that the stock turbo creates more back pressure (thus higher EGTs) than an aftermarket, higher end one?

it would seem to me that there'd be a direct relationship between boost pressure and backpressure, so in order to get the high boost needed for bigger injectors, you'd be stuck with higher back pressure and thus higher EGTs. i'm sure this is an oversimplification and the engineering that goes into higher-cost, aftermarket turbos can reduce this problem somewhat, but is this the general logic of upgrading turbos to support bigger injectors?

thinking about it more, I guess a faster spinning turbo would reduce back pressure somewhat, while increasing boost, so maybe that's the goal of a better turbo?

Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
ok - so i'm pretty stupid/inexperienced with turbos, but is the problem that the stock turbo creates more back pressure (thus higher EGTs) than an aftermarket, higher end one?

it would seem to me that there'd be a direct relationship between boost pressure and backpressure, so in order to get the high boost needed for bigger injectors, you'd be stuck with higher back pressure and thus higher EGTs. i'm sure this is an oversimplification and the engineering that goes into higher-cost, aftermarket turbos can reduce this problem somewhat, but is this the general logic of upgrading turbos to support bigger injectors?

thinking about it more, I guess a faster spinning turbo would reduce back pressure somewhat, while increasing boost, so maybe that's the goal of a better turbo?
Basically, as the demands you put on the engine increase, so does the fuel and air requirements. So you've addressed the fueling? Cool, that increased boost pressure also due to the increased exhaust heat and volume. What has happened though is that the compressor wheel cannot move that much air AND do it efficiently. Also the boost/backpressure ratios will most of the time end up around 30-35psi boost while at 50+psi backpressure. That's not good for a turbo at all and tells you that you're compressor isn't efficient enough or your exhaust side isn't large enough.

Ponder on this awhile.. What happens to air when you compress it? It heats up.. A compressor wheel can only move so much air efficiently and once it surpasses the amount of air it can efficiently move, boost may continue to increase, but it gets heated up MUCH more than normal. A larger compressor wheel will generally move a greater volume of air at the same or sometimes LESS boost pressure than a smaller wheel.. For example, a 66mm at 35psi will generally move a greater volume of air than a 62mm at the same 35psi. Boost doesn't necessarily mean you'll make power, it's the total volume of oxygen that gets into the cylinders.

So, we're really upgrading the turbo to get a compressor wheel that is efficient enough to provide enough air to our engine to make good power without super heating the air. You also want an exhaust side that can allow the exhaust to get away from the engine fast enough to keep backpressure manageable while still getting the turbo to come on to boost in the RPM range that you want. A smaller turbine wheel will get spinning faster/easier, but it cannot move as much exhaust volume as a larger wheel can, so it may elevate backpressure at higher RPMs. Pretty much the same theory on the turbine housing sizes also.

I'm a bit tired today and something tells me that this explanation isn't really all that stellar. If you have any questions, post up. lol