6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Weird engine start 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 AM
billbot
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
King Kerosin - Do you have an EGR valve and cooler? The reason I ask is this past winter my truck was kind of sluggish in the mornings and it was getting progressively annoying. After a few minutes of driving everything was fine. Pulled EGR valve for cleaning and everything was back to normal. Not sure how to explain, I don't think the valve really functions until 160 degrees ECT or EOT or something like that but cleaning the valve and vacuuming the intake made a huge difference. Comparing it to symptoms and videos online, I thought I was having stiction....

Old 07-09-2013, 12:25 AM
chewedtoothpick
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is your fuel pressure like? Those filters look a bit old and dirty, it's very possible that you're starving for fuel and developing fuel-side stiction. You should make sure that your fuel pressure never goes below 45PSI, as that's the point where any prolonged use will begin to damage injectors.

If you do have low fuel pressure, make sure you replace the regulator first with the updated one (aka blue spring mod) because from what I've read/learned usually that's the first part in the fuel system to go.

EDIT: I had very similar behavior with my truck when my FPR went out.

Last edited by chewedtoothpick; 07-09-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Added reasoning to try this.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:42 AM
SPD&PWR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Any tunes on the truck or stock? History of repairs would help also.

Speaking of history repairs; is there a place on this site where I could give up my VIN for my truck to get the history??

Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 AM
SPD&PWR
Senior User
Originally Posted by billbot
King Kerosin - Do you have an EGR valve and cooler? The reason I ask is this past winter my truck was kind of sluggish in the mornings and it was getting progressively annoying. After a few minutes of driving everything was fine. Pulled EGR valve for cleaning and everything was back to normal. Not sure how to explain, I don't think the valve really functions until 160 degrees ECT or EOT or something like that but cleaning the valve and vacuuming the intake made a huge difference. Comparing it to symptoms and videos online, I thought I was having stiction....

I recently cleaned my EGR valve but could not really figure out how to get to the inside to clean out the housing. You were saying vaccuming the intake, can you explain?

Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 AM
billbot
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Get your shopvac, some duct tape or etape, and a 10" or so piece of hose or tube. Put the end of the tube inside the end of your shopvac hose and tape it up so it doesn't leak. Turn on the shopvac and get the hose down the intake where the EGR valve came out. Sometimes chunks break free when you pull the valve. The main idea is that you get them out where the valve sits so they don't cause damage to the valve when you reinstall it.

Read a couple posts where some actually start the engine with the valve out, supposedly blows everything out, haven't ever tried it though.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:06 AM
SPD&PWR
Senior User
Yeah ok, I like the ingenuity. I found myself scraping with a flathead the other day, I worked but could have been better

Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM
King Kerosin
Junior User
Hi,

I cleaned the EGR Valve. Looked pretty dirty. Put it back in, no change.
EGR and all that stuff are OEM.
I will change the fuel filter today, and see if I can check Fuel Pressure with my scanner.

Dan

Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Couple of things im curious about, On the fuel filters were those specs of dirt and white globule slime ball looking things on the filter when you removed it or did the filter get rolled around on the ground? The reason I ask is the filter primary filter really shouldn't have that much stuff on it, makes me wonder what the inside of the fuel tank looks like.

On the glow plug side of things, they will run up to 2 minutes even though the glow plug indicator goes out, I just went out and started my truck and the glow plug indicator stayed on for 7 seconds and the ambient temp is currently 72*, so I would at a minimum wait about 7 seconds or so before you try starting it.

After looking at the filters I would definitely want to know what the dynamic fuel pressure is, as mentioned earlier the fuel pressure needs to remain above 45 PSI at WOT ( Wide open throttle ). To read the fuel pressure you need to tap into the fuel system at the test port on the secondary fuel filter housing, the fitting is an M12x1.5 to 1/8" NPT.

On the FICM volts they need to stay above 45 volts from KOEO, cranking, idling and WOT. If it drops below 45 at anytime the FICM is starting to fail.

As fuel additive go it is really a good idea to run one with added lubricity as the lubricity of the fuel is diminished in the refining process to remove the sulfur from the fuel. I run the motorcraft cetane boost, the cetane boost helps the fuel burn better and also has added lubricity which is good for the injectors.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:12 PM
King Kerosin
Junior User
The dirt was on the filter, when I pulled it. I hope the tank is not contaminated with that slime.
Today I changed both of the fuel filters again. Nothing changed.
Ok, I'll have the fuel pressure checked the next week.
How do I check the Voltage of the FICM at WOT?
I don't believe there's something wrong with the glow plugs. I have the same trouble when engine is hot.
Once started, the engine idles fine, hot or cold engine.
The problem is, it runs rough (slightly accelerating) when engine is cold (1600 rpm - 2000rpm). When I give it some more throttle, it picks up speed better, but I hate to do that. Warmed up, the problem is gone.

What drives me crazy, sometimes the truck starts just fine.
Is someone in New Mexico, who could have a look at the truck? Not for free of course. But I don't wanna go to Ford, since they're not good in troubleshooting...

Old 07-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to auto zone and get yourself a Scan gauge it will be the best money you spent on the truck, that way you know what is going on........my 2cents

Old 07-13-2013, 04:40 PM
King Kerosin
Junior User
I got a ELM 327 in combination with Torque on a Galaxy S3. Works good for me.
What's better with the Scan Gauge?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:00 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
The torque should have FICM main volts, so just have it hooked up and watch the FICM volts in all the situations mentioned particularly during cranking and at wide open throttle while driving.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This could be Turbo related, can you post the values for MAP,EBP,BARO,VGT at koeo, low, high 2500 rpm with truck warm.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 PM
King Kerosin
Junior User
Torque doesn't say anything about FICM Voltage.
And I have no idea how to find out values from the sensors 04badford posted.
But what I can tell you, It is a remanufactured turbocharger. There's a tag on it.
Maybe I have to do the walk to the dealer...

Oh, I found out, if I let the fuel pump cycle 2 times, the truck starts just fine. How long is your fuel pump running, until it stops? Mine seems to run a little too long. Maybe about 20-25 seconds. Is that normal?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
20 seconds is about right.

Quick Reply: Weird engine start 6.0