1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need to replace E99 headlights What years?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 AM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xbox73
My '00 X had stock lighting & badly oxidized/yellowed lenses. I used the Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit & did the hand buffing with 3 different grades of sandpaper (2 in the kit & 1 coarser one I bought from a local auto store), polishing with the buffing pad & protectant. Then I added some PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs that claim to put out almost twice as much light, yet draw the same current as stock bulbs, due to being more efficient, and so are described as suitable for stock wiring (see description here: PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs (twin pack) Bulbs at Sube Sports - The Racing Equipment Source, cheaper elsewhere e.g. Amazon). The headlight lenses were much clearer after using the headlight restoration kit, and the combination of the clearer lenses combined with the brighter bulbs, subjectively netted me about 75-100% over previous (stock bulbs, yellowed lenses), which is a nice improvement, and now fine for general driving around town, but not that great for dark country roads with no street or other lighting.

Anyway, while a noticeable improvement, I'm still not that enthralled with their performance when compared with my other car which has factory HIDs. While installing HIDs in the stock lenses is tempting, I know it would annoy other drivers as the stock reflector housings aren't optimized for HIDs, and on top of that my X is lifted 8".

So, I plan to order some of the $84/pair Certifits as others above have been happy with them, the price is fairly cheap & the clear lens design likely allows a lot more light output than the early 99-01 lenses that I currently have. And also to order the relay harness from Susquehanna (rallylights.com) - I've been ordering stuff for my rally car from Dave at rallylights.com for years, so given that you guys also had a good experience with him & the convenience, that part seems a no-brainer.

Anyway, with the clear lens Certifits, relay harnesses & PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs, I hope to get another 50% of performance over just my restored early model lenses & the PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs i.e. close to 3x what I started with. I think that should be fine for most normal use, and I do plan to install some aux lighting for offroading / infrequently traveled B roads when there is noone else out for miles.
$84/pair Certifits ordered & received, though I haven't opened the box yet to see if I like how they look, and how well blend they'll with the surrounding L-shaped clear lenses on the front of my X.

Susquehanna (rallylights.com) 9007 Upgraded Headlamp Wiring Harness ordered & on its way. Should receive by end of this week.

Not sure if I'll have a chance to install this weekend, but if not hopefully over Xmas or between Xmas & NYE.

Will post back with perceived results once I have both installed. It would be nice to do one & then the other to see how much difference each makes, but want to do the install during the day when it's light. I suppose once the upgraded headlamp wiring harness is installed it would be easier enough to swap backwards & forwards between stock wiring & upgraded wiring just to see the difference by just unplugging the stock wiring & plugging the one side into the relay trigger connector & vice versa.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:50 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs (twin pack) Bulbs at Sube Sports - The Racing Equipment Source

OMG!! $92 for headlight bulbs!!!!!!

Susquehanna (rallylights.com) 9007 Upgraded Headlamp Wiring Harness and Hella 80/100 bulbs aren't much more than that TOGETHER. The Hella bulbs produce 2390 lumens (vs. 60/55W, 1350 Lumens) and cost $23/pair...

I just ordered ceramic pigtails and new bulbs for the X, since I gave my harness and bulbs to the guy who let me pull the engine at his house last year (they had just bought an X). I hacked my other harness and put 9008/H13 pig tails on it when I put 2007 lenses in the dually - but ended up with HID's eventually (9008 bulbs/pigtails SUCK!).

Anyway, there are silverstars and factory wiring in the X right now. I'm looking for a place that will make a good test location where I can attempt to photogragh the differences between 'stock' and (ridiculously overpriced ) silverstars, the harness w/those bulbs and finally with the 80/100 Hellas and harness. Since I've had the 80/100's and harness for 4.5yrs in the X, I expect to be sorely disappointed when I flick the switch with the old s'stars.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Then I added some PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs that claim to put out almost twice as much light, yet draw the same current as stock bulbs, due to being more efficient, and so are described as suitable for stock wiring (see description here: PIAA 9007 Xtreme White Plus Bulbs (twin pack) Bulbs at Sube Sports - The Racing Equipment Source, cheaper elsewhere e.g. Amazon).
I quoted that link because it had a better description, but like I stated in my earlier post they are cheaper elsewhere e.g. at Amazon. They are indeed pricey, but I'm not aware of a better option at a still somewhat reasonable price (HIDs aren't a practical option for me as I live in an urban area & my X is lifted 8' on 37" - I have a feeling that housing/reflectors not designed for HIDs, when used with HID bulbs, would not be well received, & a properly engineered HID kit with purpose-designed reflectors/housings are more than I'm willing to spend at this point). Since I haven't tried any other upgrade bulbs, I can't comment on the price vs. performance ratio w.r.t. other upgrade bulbs.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I quoted that link because it had a better description, but like I stated in my earlier post they are cheaper elsewhere e.g. at Amazon. They are indeed pricey, but I'm not aware of a better option at a still somewhat reasonable price (HIDs aren't a practical option for me as I live in an urban area & my X is lifted 8' on 37" - I have a feeling that housing/reflectors not designed for HIDs, when used with HID bulbs, would not be well received, & a properly engineered HID kit with purpose-designed reflectors/housings are more than I'm willing to spend at this point). Since I haven't tried any other upgrade bulbs, I can't comment on the price vs. performance ratio w.r.t. other upgrade bulbs.
Sounds good on paper, but I dunno how they can "put out almost twice as much light, yet draw the same current as stock bulbs". I can't wait to hear how ya like them though, please keep us posted.

IMHO, the 'better option' is a relay harness and 80/100 bubs...

I 100% agree with your take on HID's in stock lenses - I have a tendency to PUNISH those guys with 260 watts of HELLa power!!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Sounds good on paper, but I dunno how they can "put out almost twice as much light, yet draw the same current as stock bulbs". I can't wait to hear how ya like them though, please keep us posted.

IMHO, the 'better option' is a relay harness and 80/100 bubs...

I 100% agree with your take on HID's in stock lenses - I have a tendency to PUNISH those guys with 260 watts of HELLa power!!
If you read my earlier post in this thread, you'll see that the combination of just polishing my headlights to remove the yellowing/oxidization, as well as replacing the bulbs with the PIAA 9007 Extreme White Plus Bulbs was noticeably brighter, subjectively about twice as bright, based on just polishing lights & bulbs alone, though admittedly my headlights were pretty heavily oxidized, so I can't accurately comment on how much was the bulbs & how much was the lens polishing. How do they put out twice as much light, while only drawing the same current? I don't know, but since incandescent bulbs are hugely inefficient, I can only assume it's with improved efficiency & materials within the bulb itself.

As I also posted earlier, I have already received improved headlights (02-04 style, aftermarket, from Certifit), but have not installed them yet. I have also already ordered, but not yet received, an upgraded wiring harness from rallylights.com.

I'm hoping the combination of 02-04 lens design + upgraded relay wiring harness + PIAA 9007 Extreme White Plus Bulbs will be sufficient for normal use, and I'll be wiring up some auxiliary lighting for when I'm out in the boonies or offroad.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
I got the 06 - 07 headlights for my 99.5 from headlight depot. Lots of cutting required behind the lights to make them fit but they look good and for the price it was a good up-grade.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is nice to see some of you guys are moving forward with upgrading your lights and harness mod. I was hoping Santa would bring me a headlight relay & harness kit with some Hella's. Well, I took my daughter to see Santa the other day and I asked him about my wish list. Santa just smiled and pulled me close and whispered in my ear. "There's NOT even a snowballs chance in hell that you are getting anything...Bad Dog !!"

And to top off my BAD luck my new headlight & side marker lights that are only 2 mths old I have moisture in it. I contacted Andy's Auto Sport and have yet to hear back from them.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 PM
1fixitman
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ed. I have the exact lenses and marker lenses you do. I ordered them from the same place. I had to go purchase Amber light bulbs for the running lights and blinkers. I purchased some 9007's from pep boys for about 11$ each to replace my original headlights. I paid about 165$ for all the lenses and 27 for all the lights. Almost 190$ for everything but I am able to see much better now. I still might go with that upgraded harness that Jason is talking about.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Dwayne, the 80/100 Hellas are only $11.50 each...

xbox, I didn't mean to be so critical of your choice. I know dozens of people with 'my' recipe who are very satisfied for just a little more than you spent on bulbs you could have cured the anemic stock wiring issue AND had brighter bulbs (that cost $23/pr to replace).

Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 AM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
xbox, I didn't mean to be so critical of your choice. I know dozens of people with 'my' recipe who are very satisfied for just a little more than you spent on bulbs you could have cured the anemic stock wiring issue AND had brighter bulbs (that cost $23/<acronym title="Page Ranking">pr</acronym> to replace).
It's all good, I didn't take it that way. I am very grateful for all the valuable information others share on here, and am happy to do the same, along with as much info as I can provide, so forum members can make informed choices.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
I just looked at that harness and see one major design flaw. One power wire and one fuse for ALL your lights.

Lose that wire and your in the dark.

If your running that kit grab a fuse holder and some wire to provide power to each relay separate. No redundancy in your lighting system is a bad idea. Learned this the hard way and now even my offroad only stuff has redundant forward lighting.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
One of the things I enjoy most about FTE is the way everyone shares info and different ways to do things. So a guy can make his own choices.
On other forums if it isn't THEIR way it is wrong!!
There are many ways to skin a cat !! Sorry Fluffy !!
I know Bad Dog..............

Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 AM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
One of the things I enjoy most about FTE is the way everyone shares info and different ways to do things. So a guy can make his own choices.
On other forums if it isn't THEIR way it is wrong!!
That's been my impression here, as well, time and time again. Gotta love this place.