1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Truckstock

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 10:49 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doc,

Sorry I can’t make it from the red rocks to the blue grass as 1870 miles would be testing my endurance more than that of the ’56. Had I still been living in old Virgini, I’d be over the mountain and through the woods. Too bad you traded that bum steer for a lawn ornament; he would have made some fine beef kabobs for your motley crew.

When I think about this back woods event on some remote farm in rural Kentucky (redundant?), it puts a smile on my face as well as a shake of my head in amazement. First thought is the generosity of a man opening his personal possessions to a group of unknown men known only by their avatars and unspoken words written in cyberspace. Hats off to you my good man! Secondly, when the trucks of our vintage were on the road, the interstate highway system was just beginning, there was no cell phones, GPS, PCs, or internet. You would have to drive back roads to get to your back road.

Yes times have changed but it’s heartening to know that there is still goodness in human nature. Thanks for the invite.

Y’all have a good time.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sorry guys but I am going to have to bow out of the show this year. I am now scheduled to undergo replacement knee surgery at the end of the month and will be in therapy for a couple of months.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by edzakory
Doc,

Sorry I can’t make it from the red rocks to the blue grass as 1870 miles would be testing my endurance more than that of the ’56. Had I still been living in old Virgini, I’d be over the mountain and through the woods. Too bad you traded that bum steer for a lawn ornament; he would have made some fine beef kabobs for your motley crew.

When I think about this back woods event on some remote farm in rural Kentucky (redundant?), it puts a smile on my face as well as a shake of my head in amazement. First thought is the generosity of a man opening his personal possessions to a group of unknown men known only by their avatars and unspoken words written in cyberspace. Hats off to you my good man! Secondly, when the trucks of our vintage were on the road, the interstate highway system was just beginning, there was no cell phones, GPS, PCs, or internet. You would have to drive back roads to get to your back road.

Yes times have changed but it’s heartening to know that there is still goodness in human nature. Thanks for the invite.

Y’all have a good time.
Thanks man. Very well said. I appreciate the compliments. Plane tickets are always an option.

Originally Posted by harleymsn
I'm sorry guys but I am going to have to bow out of the show this year. I am now scheduled to undergo replacement knee surgery at the end of the month and will be in therapy for a couple of months.
We'll all be thinking about you Joe. You would be amazed at how quickly recovery can be with those knees occasionally. IF by some miracle you feel up to the trip, we'll do whatever it takes to make it as comfortable as possible. But I imagine it's not in the cards.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Sounds like a pretty lame excuse. You going to have therapy on Saturday and Sunday Get your dear wife behind the wheel of that F250 and come on up. Shucks, it would only be a couple hours drive, er ride. And doesn't Shane need his wheels?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Is there anybody else out there who plans on attending and not receiving regular emails from me? If so, please contact me via email or PM here and let me get you on the list.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I'd like to step in here and see if we can't persuade more members, especially those closer to Doc, to bring their trucks. Doc told me only a handful of attendees are bringing their trucks. He's gone to a lot of work and expense to pull this thing off and it would be great if there was a good sized group of old Ford trucks show up for it.

I'm driving 700 miles one way and busting my butt to get the old F-2 roadworthy. Also, the F-2 is not a cushy ride, it rides like a buckboard and it's no speed demon, top speed of maybe, if I'm lucky with a good tail wind and all down hill driving, I might get it up to 50 mph. The hill country is going to pose a challenge, going down, again no challenge, but going up I'll be lucky to top most hills off at 30 mph, I feel sorry for the poor bugger behind me. That's the performance I get around here and Doc considers us "Flatlanders".

Your trucks don't have to be pretty, this is not a judging event, it's a friendly get together. If it's rusty or five different colors bring it. Heck, my F-2 might look really nice in the pictures I post but it's far from perfect. It's a 18 year old restoration and it's showing it's need for some refreshing. I have chips in the paint, a few bubbling rust spots and the box is getting pretty rough but mechanically I hope it is good enough condition to make the trip. Even if you don't have your truck running or maybe just in the beginning of the project bring along a piece you've been working on no matter what it is, to show us what you've been doing.

Rememer, Truckstock is only a month away.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I, too would like to see a bunch of these old trucks show up. Missy Green, the '56 and I will be there. My idea for the refurb was to have a truck representing a working truck of the '50s. She with her newly rebuilt engine, new complete brake system, new tires, paint and wood in her script stake bed. Mechanically, everything has been inspected and or replaced. I refurbished her with the idea of a reliable fun driver that I would not be afraid to get dirty or scratched when I hauled a load of dirt, gravel or firewood or anything else she could haul. I get into the cab and onto the very old rubber mat with muddy feet, no worries. I have a piece of heavy material thrown on the seat base to cover the worn seat material and a cool cushion to keep my butt cool.
The dump bed has proven to be quite handy. She pulls my 18' flatbed trailer with ease. Yeah, she has a brake controller and the combination stops quite well even with the drum brakes.
No, she won't run with the powerstrokes. In fact, my F150 with the 5.4 will out pull her on the hills quite easily. Her cruise speed is right at 55 mph tops, more comfortable at about 50. But, dayum, she is fun to drive.
So what are the rest of y'all boys bringing to Truckstock?
I'll try to take a few pictures tomorrow.

Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOMADE is a 1951 F1 that is alittle more adapted to interstate driving. I only got 200 miles if that to Doc's but in Oct. we are going to Cruisin the Coast in Biloxi, Miss. and that will be a 1600 mile trip. Can't wait till Truckstock, Garry

Old 08-14-2012, 01:51 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 54 F250 will be there... God willing... lol For me it's a 1000 mile roundtrip. I agree that Doc has put a lot into this and we should all TRY to have our trucks there. Of course there are always situations that prevent the truck showing up and those members are still welcome but please don't let little stuff stop ya. I am excited to see other trucks and compare notes and laughs. Here is what I am bringing. She has issues and such but she will be there.

Reminds me of a thing that happen back in the early 2000's. I use to help coordinate cruise-ins and car shows for a regional Mustang club (won't mention names). We always had our annual car shows. Once, we decided it would be a blast to have a 75 miles cruise around a chain of lakes. Everyone was excited and said they would participate. We even went so far as to set up a charity tie-in to raise some money. When the day came it was 73 degrees, mostly sunny, 42 members and 8 cars. We couldn't believe the lack of turn out (for the cars). Most of the members attending had poor excuses for not bringing out their rides. Needless to say we never organized a trip again. I respect and appreciate what Doc is doing and let's all try to the best of our ability to bring what we have. I see this event as possibly a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me. I even talked the missus into coming along even though she gets motion sickness and has to take a lot of dramamine to make it. I look forward to seeing everyone and their trucks if possible.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Beautiful truck teardropty! Looking forward to meeting you guys and your trucks.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Beautiful truck teardropty! Looking forward to meeting you guys and your trucks.
Thanks Doc. She is a 10 footer. I rebuilt her as a daily/weekend driver and she gets used during the summer for sure.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I know a lot of you guys are probably kind of wondering about what to bring from the tool standpoint in case of breakdowns, etc. I know that my stuff won't help you on the side of the road somewhere, but it may help you to know what I have in case you need to take care of something while you're here. I have a rough shop that is about 30 x 40 with a concrete floor and plenty of good lighting. It's completely enclosed now with a 30 inch exhaust fan for ventilation. I have an air compressor, all the basic air tools including air ratchet, cut off tool, grinders, impact guns, etc. I also have a stick welder and a flux core as well as a set of torches. Floor jacks, jack stands, a creeper, and a cherry picker (God help us if we need to use that to fix one of your trucks during that weekend). And if I don't have it, I have plenty of friends who will have what we need. Plus there are plenty of parts houses nearby if needed. One parts house I know definitely carries 6 volt things like condensers, points, coils, etc. I also have a tractor that can pretty much lift anything and one of those really useful 3-point ball hitch attachments in case somebody wants to move their camper or trailer.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Well, I guess all I'll bring is some primer, sand paper and paint. With all of the tools you have, and all of the guys that are going to be there, we could have our own version of Overhaulin' and give the old F-2 a complete paint job over the weekend.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would PM you but I don't have the cred. If that means no visit to truckstock, so be it, but I am not far from you and would be able to make the trip if you decide it would be acceptable. I do not have to stay the night if you are worried about that, I could make a day trip out of it. Truck will not make it this year, but I am sure I could learn enough to finish it up. This is my first truck restoration so I have not been around this site long. Bought it this year and did basically a frame off (on a budget) in less than 8 months. Weekend Warrior!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 52 Ford F1
I would PM you but I don't have the cred. If that means no visit to truckstock, so be it, but I am not far from you and would be able to make the trip if you decide it would be acceptable. I do not have to stay the night if you are worried about that, I could make a day trip out of it. Truck will not make it this year, but I am sure I could learn enough to finish it up. This is my first truck restoration so I have not been around this site long. Bought it this year and did basically a frame off (on a budget) in less than 8 months. Weekend Warrior!
LOL. What a coincidence. If you look at your public profile and the "recent visitors" category, you'll see that I looked at your profile earlier today. I did an advanced search of people with our model trucks in KY. We'd be glad to have you. Send me an email to truckstock2012 at gmail dot com.

Quick Reply: Truckstock