Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Truckstock (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1180091-truckstock.html)

Doc 08-03-2012 12:26 PM

Truckstock

Well guys.....the time is nearing. Just 42 more days (September 14-16). I can tell that you guys are itching to make the trip. I'm getting excited and nervous at the same time. I have been terribly busy in the earlier part of the summer, and I've not accomplished every single thing that I wanted to do, but I've got a lot done around my place (BTW, if you want to get your place cleaned up and tackle those long-overdue projects, invite a bunch of your "internet friends" over for a weekend. It will certainly motivate you :D). My biggest focus at the moment is getting my shop straightened up enough so that you guys can tinker with your rides (or fix one if needed :(). Don't expect the "garage ma hal", just a pole barn that I converted into an enclosed shop with a concrete floor a couple years ago). I highly recommend that you guys consider one of those new-style pop-up picnic canopies (but I have a lot of shade trees) and definitely bring some fold-up lawn chairs.

For those of you who may still want to come, I ask that you contact me SOON via PM or email here on FTE and I'll get you up to speed and on the email group list. For planning reasons including meal plans, I'm gonna set an RSVP deadline of August 24th. I will say this again, I DO NOT want any surprise guests that we are not familar with here on this forum. This is for the safety and enjoyment of us all. Right now there's about 50 or 60 total people (counting spouses, friends, etc.) scheduled to show up. Here's the original thread (I asked the mods to lock it a few weeks ago because I wanted to start with a fresh thread when the time grew nearer) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-together.html You MUST read the entire thread if you haven't already because there is a lot of information about what this thing is about and what to expect in there (Yeah I know--20 pages long. Sit down, read it. You'll survive).

I'll be honest. The interest in this thing is a real honor to me. I honestly thought I MIGHT get 4 or 5 local guys from Kentucky or the immediate surrounding states. Boy was I ever wrong!

I landed some possible entertainment for the Saturday night cookout. I truly hope he can come and play. I may just sit him down on my front porch and let him pick away while we eat in the front yard. Lee "Boy" is a local legend. When I asked a few of you guys about what kind of music you might want to hear, practically all of you said it would be nice to hear a little Bluegrass since you'll be in the heart of Appalachia. In my opinion, this is about the right amount of "entertainment", because the real entertainment will be the opportunity to meet each other in person and participate in various B.S. sessions :)

Lee Sexton - Little Maggie & Rye Whiskey - YouTube

arctic y block 08-03-2012 12:39 PM

Hi Doc. I'll read up on this tonight or in the morning. Your time line may be perfect for me.

Doc 08-03-2012 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by arctic y block (Post 12130051)
Hi Doc. I'll read up on this tonight or in the morning. Your time line may be perfect for me.

Uh.....that's 4000 miles. WOW! I'd definitely check the oil and fill up the windshield washer fluid before I left. :-jammin

arctic y block 08-03-2012 01:19 PM

The Truck is in Western Colorado Doc. Little Brother is getting it ready for me. But he drives it monthly so it really don't need anything but a going over. I would prolly fly to his place anyway.

jmadsen 08-03-2012 11:20 PM

i truly wish that I was going.... I just know that Im going to be missing an event of a lifetime.
Unfortunatly September is a busy month for me. also the 13th is our anniversary.

just this afternoon i was thinking of how i could fly in and unpack a small cardboard box replica 51 f1 to walk/drive into the farm with ( like a clown type truck that you stand in and walk around in.... I know. pretty scary huh. :)

carnut122 08-03-2012 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 12130017)

I landed some possible entertainment for the Saturday night cookout. I truly hope he can come and play. I :)

Lee Sexton - Little Maggie & Rye Whiskey - YouTube

Does this mean Jesco White isn't available?:'(

Jesco White Hellbilly Part 1 - YouTube

arrowheadfred 08-03-2012 11:52 PM

WOW DOC !!! Sure wish i could make it you have went all out . Thanks for sharing the video . HAVE A BLESSED WEEKEND !!!!

bobj49f2 08-03-2012 11:59 PM

Doc, I'm stoked. I love old time Blue Grass, it's amazing how much emotion good banjo playing can coax out of an instrument. I don't want to put more pressure on you but I am sure this will be the most enjoyable event of my life.

My wife and I have been in training for the last couple of days, getting my left knee loosened up for extensive double clutching and my butt for the buckboard suspension of the F-2. We're not overdoing it, only a couple of hours a night, maybe 35-40 miles at a time. Don't want to over do it and not be able to go. We're trying to get into condition to be able to handle 3-4 hours spurts of driving the old F-2.

He's a little video I posted on my other post to show the first step in my training program:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-eWiAdFoH58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rojak 08-04-2012 11:26 PM

Doc I'm a huge music fan and bluegrass is one of my faves. I've also got a background in video production so that video of Lee Sexton blew me away. I was mesmerized watching it. Don't know who did it but they did a great job. Really gives you a feel for the region. I'm anxiously awaiting Truckstock but now even more so! I hope Lee can make it.

1949f1 08-05-2012 07:29 AM

i don't post a lot, but i have read all the post's about this get together and it looks like it is going to be a great time. my truck is a long way from being on the road and going to this with out it would be like going hunting with out a gun. i look forward to a lot of pictures.

Doc 08-05-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1949f1 (Post 12134299)
i don't post a lot, but i have read all the post's about this get together and it looks like it is going to be a great time. my truck is a long way from being on the road and going to this with out it would be like going hunting with out a gun. i look forward to a lot of pictures.

Dude, you're only 140 miles away. There's plenty of other guys that will be "hunting without a gun". Don't let that stop you.

raytasch 08-05-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1949f1 (Post 12134299)

Shucks, yes, come on up to Truckstock. Drive that red truck you show in your profile.:-X22
You make at least three of us on here that are within a stones throw apart.

carnut122 08-05-2012 08:46 AM

I'm hoping to come to Truckstock without a "gun."

bobj49f2 08-05-2012 09:44 AM

You guys within a couple of hours drive have no excuse not to come. I'm driving 700 miles in a truck that rides like a buckboard and does 50 mph, tops.

Man, I wish I was I was closer, I'd have been over at Doc's house getting under his feet helping. Not saying any of you guys should have, and please don't take it that way at all, but I just talking about myself, I think this is going to be such an awesome event I would have loved to help out more.

Here's my suggestion for anyone who isn't bringing a truck. Bring pictures of your build, or pictures of you intended project. Maybe even bring a part of the truck, speedometer, grill, door, just something to park with the guys that will be there with trucks. If Doc could set up a table in the shade or one of his out building the pictures could be laid out on it.

Also, don't forget the stories. Every truck build has at least one.

Doc 08-05-2012 10:13 AM

ALERT

IF any of you made a reservation at the Super 8 in WHITESBURG, please contact me as soon as possible. I had some relatives from out of state drop by unexpectantly yesterday. They quickly told me that the conditions in that motel were not optimal to say the least (mainly "non-smoking" rooms that smelled like a cigarette, etc). We may need to get your money back and get another motel if you're still planning on getting a room. I am sorry to mention this now after I put that motel in "the list" on the old thread, but I'd feel even worse if I kept my mouth shut and let you guys take your chances there.