General Automotive Discussion

Basic Air Conditioning Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:28 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basic Air Conditioning Question

This is as basic as it can be. What makes the freon cold? When I pick it up in cans it is room temperature. Does it need to be moving through a system? Or does it need to be under pressure? I think it is under pressure in the can it comes in or it wouldn't come out. Does it need a compressor? Does it need a fan to blow warm air over it?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by trike1946
This is as basic as it can be. What makes the freon cold? When I pick it up in cans it is room temperature. Does it need to be moving through a system? Or does it need to be under pressure? I think it is under pressure in the can it comes in or it wouldn't come out. Does it need a compressor? Does it need a fan to blow warm air over it?
The compressor applies enough pressure to essentially force the refrigerant into a liquid under high pressure with the help of the condenser coil (the one by the radiator) which removes some of the heat.

The refrigerant enters the evaporator coil where the pressure is quickly reduced through an expansion valve and the refrigerant changes to a gas (boils) and absorbs the heat from the air passing over the evaporator coil from inside the vehicle. Think of it like allowing something to absorb heat and boil, at an extremely low temperature. When something changes from a liquid to a gas, it absorbs heat just like water absorbs heat when it boils. We usually think of it happening at high temperatures, but some substances boil at very low temperatures as is the case with the refrigerant in air conditioners.

There are ways to accomplish cooling without a compressor, but they are usually much less efficient.

Clear as mud, right?

Steve

Old 05-27-2012, 11:58 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,626 Likes on 1,326 Posts
The most basic way to demostrate the above is to blow up a balloon, then let the air blow out of it. The balloon will be cool to the touch. Same thing working, just a different scale and materials.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Thank you for the replies.
So just putting freon in a sealed system won't do anything to make it cooler? For it to work it has to go through the system and changes and then go back and start over.

Is there anything that is at least cool on it's own and stays that way except maybe dry ice? My problem is I am trying to find a way to cool the oil in my motorcycle. It is air cooled, but stuck in traffic it gets so hot you want to get off. I feel like my legs are on fire. I have an oil cooler but oil coolers only work if you are moving. It gets so bad I have considered putting a side car on so I can have a generator to run a small air conditioner pointing towards my engine.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Thank you for the replies.
So just putting freon in a sealed system won't do anything to make it cooler? For it to work it has to go through the system and changes and then go back and start over.

Is there anything that is at least cool on it's own and stays that way except maybe dry ice? My problem is I am trying to find a way to cool the oil in my motorcycle. It is air cooled, but stuck in traffic it gets so hot you want to get off. I feel like my legs are on fire. I have an oil cooler but oil coolers only work if you are moving. It gets so bad I have considered putting a side car on so I can have a generator to run a small air conditioner pointing towards my engine.
You are right, refrigerant sure won't do it and you would need something that is going through a change of state like dry ice or ice. A small 12-volt fan would move a little air, but probably not enough. I'm not sure there is a practical solution to your problem.

Steve

Old 05-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't tell, exactly, what kind of bike that is but, this gadget looks interesting:

Harley Oil Cooler - Ultracool - Oil Cooling Systems for V-Twins Motorcycles

Old 05-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Is there anything that is at least cool on it's own and stays that way except maybe dry ice?
Dry ice won't do it. As you add heat it sublimates (like evaporation, but different) and disappears.

If you can invent something that does what you're asking you will own the world. It's called perpetual motion. You want something (cooling) without putting anything in (energy.) The laws of physics, as they are currently understood, say this is impossible.

If you come up with a system that works, just make it larger and it could power an entire city, or even nation, without spending anything on fuel. Electricity would not cost anything to make.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Furyus1
I can't tell, exactly, what kind of bike that is but, this gadget looks interesting:

That is a pretty interesting link. Thanks. The fan might make all the difference. Otherwise it is just another oil cooler. I am going to call them tomorrow. In 2 weeks I have to make a trip to Vegas to see my daughter. She said some of the cops there ride Harleys. I will see what they use while I am there. The way it is, anything over 80 and I can't ride. And I already have heat shields and an oil cooler already.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get you one of these, from my hvac college classes. The Holy Bible of refrigeration.

Everything refrigerant is temperature/pressure related. Nothing will happen by freon simply sitting there. It has to be under a certain pressure and it it has to change state. This can not happen without a compressor, condenser, evaporator and air flow measured in cfm, cubic foot per minute.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Old 05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Furyus1

I finally got a chance to call them. $479.00 with everything. They guarantee it works. I have to get a temp gauge installed first then I will get one and test it. If it works it is worth it.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would an oil cooler with electric fans be simpler? Also, if you dont already have a temp gauge, how do you know its overheating? I wouldnt spend $479 just because I think its too hot without evidence. V-twin bikes normally use very high viscosity oils to start with, so they can take a lot of heat. Too cool (under 180F) and you will have other problems.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Would an oil cooler with electric fans be simpler? Also, if you dont already have a temp gauge, how do you know its overheating? I wouldnt spend $479 just because I think its too hot without evidence. V-twin bikes normally use very high viscosity oils to start with, so they can take a lot of heat. Too cool (under 180F) and you will have other problems.
That's what the Ultracool is. It has 2 fans. From what they say it is not the same as a regular cooler with fans added. Supposed to be something better. I ordered my temp gauge today. It will measure head temps and oil temps. Once I have it installed I can find out just how hot it is running.

The thing I am faced with is that if the temps are in the normal range, then I have to get rid of the bike. It is much too hot to ride. I doubt if they are though because the computer is programmed to shut off the rear cylinder when the bike is at idle to lower the heat. But it only does it at high temps. Once it gets to 85 or so outside and I get into traffic, the rear cylinder shuts down at lights. So I am fairly certain it is running too hot. Probably running too lean.