Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Remote Custom Tuning (Iterative)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Remote Custom Tuning (Iterative)

Hi all,

I am sure lots of us would like to be live tuned, but either live in smaller communities where getting a decent number of candidates together is impractical to make it financially viable to get a tuner to fly out. Or the tuner of your choice has no plans to visit you region (or just visited, and therefore doesn't plan to return for a while).

So, what about iterative remote custom tuning? What do I mean by that? Well, the tuner sends you the programming file (or a chip, programmed with the desired programming) matching your setup as closely as possible. Then you take a bunch of logs, and email them to your tuner. Then, based on the data in the logs, your tuner sends you a more optimized file, specific to your exact setup. This continues as many times as is necessary, until you are happy with your tunes, or until there are no more gains to be had (i.e. the tunes are optimized to your specific setup).

Obviously, this style of tuning is most convenient for those with a programmable setup e.g. DP Tuner F6, or a TS 6-position chip with a burner. Or possibly someone who owns 2 TS 6-position chips, and is willing to send both in initially so chips can be cross-shipped with the latest tune. Or maybe tuners would be willing to offer trade-ins on chips with a core charge deposit? Or maybe users just run a basic stock TS chip until custom programing is optimized on a 2nd one, and then just keep the basic stock TS chip as a backup, or resell it when done. Or, just be patient, lol, and live with stock tuning during the couple of periods initially when the custom chip is being optimized.

Anyway, my real question is what live tuning data would a tuner need to have to be able to adjust tuning to be optimized for a specific setup? Things like boost, HPOP pressure, fuel pressure, injector duty cycle etc. come to mind. I know Auto Enginuity allows access to some of this data, but not all e.g. if I am not mistaken, boost pressure (at least not accurate BP) is not available within Auto Enginuity. How does one generate the most comprehensive live tuning data that includes all the desired parameters aligned within a single file that would allow a tuner to custom tune a specific truck with its specific setup, mods etc. remotely? How do tuners do it when they do live tuning, and what equipment do they use?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Iterative... good word. This is probably only the second or third time I've ever seen it used. I probably would have gone with cyclic, or incremental, but anyways....

I don't know if AE can read stuff like tip in fuel or mass fuel desired, nor am I aware of what parameters are run during live tuning. I've always done it old school. Call the tuner, tell him what I want, then wait the six days for it to get there and back.

Not the optimum method to be sure, but I've never been a fan of handhelds and I don't have a burner or AE, so it's what I'm stuck with.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question, subscribed.

I've done logs for fine-tuning of emailed tunes for our diesel car.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the Chebby guys run something called EFI live and i believe with the right setup it is very close to what you are thinking as a possibility. They buy the package get some files emailed to them (or choose from a library online) put them on a laptop and download them onto their PCM. They can then monitor what the truck is doing per each program and ask for modifications from the tuner master mind.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
FIPW
ICP_PSI
Throttle V
RPM
MPH
EOT_F
ICP DC

I have much more information to post when I return to my computer.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by xbox73
Hi all,

I am sure lots of us would like to be live tuned, but either live in smaller communities where getting a decent number of candidates together is impractical to make it financially viable to get a tuner to fly out. Or the tuner of your choice has no plans to visit you region (or just visited, and therefore doesn't plan to return for a while).

So, what about iterative remote custom tuning? What do I mean by that? Well, the tuner sends you the programming file (or a chip, programmed with the desired programming) matching your setup as closely as possible. Then you take a bunch of logs, and email them to your tuner. Then, based on the data in the logs, your tuner sends you a more optimized file, specific to your exact setup. This continues as many times as is necessary, until you are happy with your tunes, or until there are no more gains to be had (i.e. the tunes are optimized to your specific setup).

Obviously, this style of tuning is most convenient for those with a programmable setup e.g. DP Tuner F6, or a TS 6-position chip with a burner. Or possibly someone who owns 2 TS 6-position chips, and is willing to send both in initially so chips can be cross-shipped with the latest tune. Or maybe tuners would be willing to offer trade-ins on chips with a core charge deposit? Or maybe users just run a basic stock TS chip until custom programing is optimized on a 2nd one, and then just keep the basic stock TS chip as a backup, or resell it when done. Or, just be patient, lol, and live with stock tuning during the couple of periods initially when the custom chip is being optimized.

Anyway, my real question is what live tuning data would a tuner need to have to be able to adjust tuning to be optimized for a specific setup? Things like boost, HPOP pressure, fuel pressure, injector duty cycle etc. come to mind. I know Auto Enginuity allows access to some of this data, but not all e.g. if I am not mistaken, boost pressure (at least not accurate BP) is not available within Auto Enginuity. How does one generate the most comprehensive live tuning data that includes all the desired parameters aligned within a single file that would allow a tuner to custom tune a specific truck with its specific setup, mods etc. remotely? How do tuners do it when they do live tuning, and what equipment do they use?
Jody can actually take over your truck and live tune it sitting at his desk. Not kidding! He been doing it for several years now. It's just not as quick as him being in truck.

4g internet must be available is the only kicker. We need the speed.

Diane

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
AE does read mass fuel desired or volume fuel desired.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DP-Tuner
Jody can actually take over your truck and live tune it sitting at his desk. Not kidding! He been doing it for several years now. It's just not as quick as him being in truck.

4g internet must be available is the only kicker. We need the speed.

Diane
I'd get the card and the service, but I don't trust the signal out here in the boonies.

As for collecting data, the AE default settings suck for this. AE is configured to be universally acceptable on all vehicles, but to run a diesel on a WOT test - it's helpful to dial the settings a bit.

The fewer parameters you record, the more samples per second you get - so it's not a good idea to watch a bunch of other stuff while you record your test data. I configure each parameter so it makes sense.
  • Almost everything changes faster than it can be recorded, so I reduce the sampling rate on these items to 50 ms.
  • I said almost everything changes fast - Engine Oil Temp is a slug race. I set that sampling rate to max (5 seconds).
  • I change the max reading on things like ICP and RPM to 4000 (down from 8000 - on a diesel?), and MPH to 100. By matching up the scale of MPH to ICP DC% (0-100), it's easier to graph.
  • Set your file names to something with meaning. I don't use the default make, model, year, and date - I name it something like "80e WOT 1 May 5 2012" for the first run. Bump the number after "WOT" for the second run, etc.....
  • Keep the data short. It's not helpful for the reader to have to sort through half an hour of data to ferret out a 10-second run.
If you use Excel or Open Office Calc to try to graph the data, things get weird fast. I have the trick to make it possible.