Sponsored by:

01Ex-REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01Ex-REPLACING INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTS

Well, I'm getting older, having to wear glasses now (for awhile now), and the dashboard on my 01Ex are getting dimmer.......not a good combination but we both have alot of miles on us and stuff just wears out!
In what limited information I can find it looks like I have to pull the dashboard to get to these things. Could you guys with some knowledge on the matter please share any insights you have? Seems extreme to pull a dash, but then again this is not my 67-Rambler.
Thanks SoCal!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know exactly how it works with the older analog odometer cluster, but I imagine it's pretty similar to the digital ones.

You don't have to remove the entire dash, just the main panel. That's pretty easy, it just pushes on and pulls off. First, remove your radio by putting either radio removal tools from an auto parts store or four small screwdrivers into the little holes. Push out on both sets of screwdrivers and pull toward you. This may be a little tough. Then, pull the radio all the way out and disconnect both plugs and the radio antenna wire (orange). Set radio off to the side. Then, tilt your steering column down as far as it'll go to make it easier. Then, grab the dash and pull forward. You may have to remove the little defroster part on the left side by the door in order to grab something enough, and that also just pops out. You'll probably have to pull the headlight switch out and unplug the two plugs with that first. Once you pull the panel out, you'll have to disconnect a plug to the 12v power plug and also 4x4 switch, reverse sensor switch, and rear window defrost switch, depending on your options. Then the entire panel should be free to set aside.

After that's out of the way, it should just be four screws holding the cluster in. Remove those and it should pull out. You'll have a few plugs to unplug, as well as the shift indicator mechanism (which can just unclip out of the cluster if you prefer- which is easier I think), and then whatever I assume cable mechanism makes the odometer work.

Once you get the cluster free, you should be able to see quite a few of the bulbs through the back plastic- just get like a pair of needle nose pliers and twist them out. You may find others back behind the plastic, so you may have to unscrew the like four or six screws holding that white shroud on there to see them all.

Some warning lights, like the glow plug light, check gauge, etc., are soldered in LEDs that aren't easy to change. I suppose you could if you had to. But the back lighting should be the regular bulbs that can be swapped out easily. I believe somewhere on the back plastic, on the circuit board, or in the owner's manual, it says the bulb number for a replacement.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
Well, I'm getting older, having to wear glasses now (for awhile now), and the dashboard on my 01Ex are getting dimmer.......not a good combination but we both have alot of miles on us and stuff just wears out!
In what limited information I can find it looks like I have to pull the dashboard to get to these things. Could you guys with some knowledge on the matter please share any insights you have? Seems extreme to pull a dash, but then again this is not my 67-Rambler.
Thanks SoCal!

its really easy but make sure u pull out your conectors when removing you dash. there is 2 for the headlight switch unit. 2 for you heated mirror and back window button and 4wd (if you have) 1 for your power outlet.

after that look at your cluster. there should be 4 tinny black hex screws holding it down. in the back of your cluster there should be 3 more connectors. dont pull to hard. then assist yout Gears ---> P R N D gears out slowly from the bottom.

after that look for the "5 i think black screwy in twisty pieces on the back of it,
replace the 5 black twisties with
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
there bright. and u can dim them if to bright.

done!
i hope this helps old man

Old 01-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Rosson03
its really easy but make sure u pull out your conectors when removing you dash. there is 2 for the headlight switch unit. 2 for you heated mirror and back window button and 4wd (if you have) 1 for your power outlet.

after that look at your cluster. there should be 4 tinny black hex screws holding it down. in the back of your cluster there should be 3 more connectors. dont pull to hard. then assist yout Gears ---> P R N D gears out slowly from the bottom.

after that look for the "5 i think black screwy in twisty pieces on the back of it,
replace the 5 black twisties with
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
there bright. and u can dim them if to bright.

done!
i hope this helps old man
Thanks. Do I need to pull the radio unit or any of the controls out first?

Old 01-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
I don't know exactly how it works with the older analog odometer cluster, but I imagine it's pretty similar to the digital ones.

You don't have to remove the entire dash, just the main panel. That's pretty easy, it just pushes on and pulls off. First, remove your radio by putting either radio removal tools from an auto parts store or four small screwdrivers into the little holes. Push out on both sets of screwdrivers and pull toward you. This may be a little tough. Then, pull the radio all the way out and disconnect both plugs and the radio antenna wire (orange). Set radio off to the side. Then, tilt your steering column down as far as it'll go to make it easier. Then, grab the dash and pull forward. You may have to remove the little defroster part on the left side by the door in order to grab something enough, and that also just pops out. You'll probably have to pull the headlight switch out and unplug the two plugs with that first. Once you pull the panel out, you'll have to disconnect a plug to the 12v power plug and also 4x4 switch, reverse sensor switch, and rear window defrost switch, depending on your options. Then the entire panel should be free to set aside.

After that's out of the way, it should just be four screws holding the cluster in. Remove those and it should pull out. You'll have a few plugs to unplug, as well as the shift indicator mechanism (which can just unclip out of the cluster if you prefer- which is easier I think), and then whatever I assume cable mechanism makes the odometer work.

Once you get the cluster free, you should be able to see quite a few of the bulbs through the back plastic- just get like a pair of needle nose pliers and twist them out. You may find others back behind the plastic, so you may have to unscrew the like four or six screws holding that white shroud on there to see them all.

Some warning lights, like the glow plug light, check gauge, etc., are soldered in LEDs that aren't easy to change. I suppose you could if you had to. But the back lighting should be the regular bulbs that can be swapped out easily. I believe somewhere on the back plastic, on the circuit board, or in the owner's manual, it says the bulb number for a replacement.

Thanks Sunline Fan. This will be next weekends project. Appreciate the help.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Rosson03
Senior User
Originally Posted by Excursion Gary
Thanks. Do I need to pull the radio unit or any of the controls out first?

well if u have factory radio yes and the blacklight switch mod to and dont forget to put ur stearing wheel down to. it will make it easier!

Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Tadsen23
Freshman User
I have 1 maybe 2 lights working on my dash. This seems like a large task!

Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Tadsen23
I have 1 maybe 2 lights working on my dash. This seems like a large task!
4 year old thread so not likely you will get a reply from any of the original posters.

However pulling the instrument cluster is a quick and easy task. Replacing the lights is even simpler. I can do it in maybe 20 minutes tops.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Tadsen23
Freshman User
Ha, good point. But since its been 4 years, maybe others have burnt out since? :-)

Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Tadsen23
Freshman User
And I am sure once I get started into it, it wont be that bad....just seems like a lot.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:54 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru

I don't know what year you have, but should be similar regardless.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tadsen23
And I am sure once I get started into it, it wont be that bad....just seems like a lot.
Please see the tech folder sticky thread for interior light how-to's.

Stewart

Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Tadsen23
Freshman User
Thanks Stewart. I will look for the thread.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:07 AM
Tadsen23
Freshman User
Wow, what an easy job that was! I was concerned about nothing at all. Except for the stupid squeak I have created somewhere. Oh well!