6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

won't start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:02 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,514 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Originally Posted by NewToDiesels
Between Mark and cheezit, I definitely do stand corrected. Appreciate the correction. Tomorrow I plan to start my truck while cranking it to get my HPO pressure above 500 PSI, and then head off to church in my shiny truck.
I appreciate your humor Alan!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:51 PM
NewToDiesels
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
To access and remove the high pressure oil pump and cover on a 2003 engine requires intake manifold and EGR cooler removal, due to the rear crossover on the intake that is exclusive to 2003 model years.
Can the IPR valve be removed on 03 models the same as 04 and up (meaning do you have to remove turbo and intake on the 03 to remove the IPR valve)?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 PM
steventothemax
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewToDiesels
Can the IPR valve be removed on 03 models the same as 04 and up (meaning do you have to remove turbo and intake on the 03 to remove the IPR valve)?
You can get to it by removing FICM and degas bottle. You will need a special socket or make one yourself.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 AM
steventothemax
Senior User
OK so I dove in. Great news is that it took me a fraction of the time. Especially since I didn't have to get out the torch or grinder to get any bolts off. I did manage to spill about 8 quarts of oil on my landlords garage floor.

So I notice some oil pooling under the drivers side of the turbo charger. it seemed to come from the pipe that comes from underneath the turbo charger. Could this be the source of my oil leak. I also noticed that when I was loosening the exhaust manifold bolts on the drivers side that there was oil dripping off of the block. Seems like it came from the same place.

I took as many pictures as possible. Any insight?
https://picasaweb.google.com/stevent...eat=directlink

Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
I couldnt get the link to work

But yes that tube under the turbo drivers side is the oil drain for the turbo

Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 AM
steventothemax
Senior User
Fixed the album. Thanks for pointing link issue out. Could the oil drain leak cause a no start. Doesn't seem like it from what I am finding. I suppose I do need to replace it regardless.

There was some oil on top of the tube that feeds oil into the top of the turbo. Could that be an issue?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by steventothemax
Fixed the album. Thanks for pointing link issue out. Could the oil drain leak cause a no start. Doesn't seem like it from what I am finding. I suppose I do need to replace it regardless.

There was some oil on top of the tube that feeds oil into the top of the turbo. Could that be an issue?
While not a starting concern they do need to be fixed and both are very simple. You'll have them done simply by reinstalling the turbo with a gasket kit. It would take a HUGE oil leak in those areas to have a no start. You'd have oil running in the floor by the gallon. Your oil leak is internal in the high pressure oil system not external in the lubricating oil system.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:24 AM
steventothemax
Senior User

Here is a new link to the album.

It looks like there was caullk along the back of the HPOP cover?? Why would someone do this. Also the last picture shows (not very clearly) what looks like s6 or more attempts to drill into the inside of the cover.

How do I get the draintube off? Do I need to? The gasket on the drain tube looks fine to me. The seal along the back on the cover looks like it could be the issue.

Thanks for all the help!!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Here is a new link to the album.

It looks like there was caullk along the back of the HPOP cover?? Why would someone do this. Also the last picture shows (not very clearly) what looks like s6 or more attempts to drill into the inside of the cover.

How do I get the draintube off? Do I need to? The gasket on the drain tube looks fine to me. The seal along the back on the cover looks like it could be the issue.

Thanks for all the help!!
The back corners of the HPOP cover REQUIRE gray sealer--Ford has it but Permatex makes the gray also--not black, orange or blue. It looks like you already have a later model supply tube from what I can see in the picture...not sure. All the o-rings and gasket come in the gasket kit: 3C3Z-9T514-AD 1840053C96

Are you referring to the turbo drain tube that you already have out????? Here's a picture of the 03 HPO system: http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_040.html

Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
steventothemax
Senior User
Ok I have everything including HPOP out. So far I have not seen any obvious signs of a bad gasket, o ring etc..

I applied air to the hole in the top of the HPOP and heard no leaks, Flipped it over applied air in the bottom hole. Air came out of the top hole. Now when I apply air to the top hole I hear a little air coming out of the bottom hole. No other signs of leaks that I can see.

I took the ICP and IPR out to inspect. I noticed that the IPR had no screen over it. I looked in the hole and the screen is stuck inside. The screen isn't broken. The screen is farther into the hole than the oil inlet hole inside the IPR hole.

Any suggestions on the next step?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

IPR valve getting hung from contamination in the valve most likely your problem if you can't find a leak with air. The pump itself WILL have a little air leak from a bleed hole but this is normal. I'd advise you to dig out the screen and replace the valve entirely. Reassemble and air test. You'll have to apply 12V to the IPR valve to command it closed while you retest but don't apply voltage for more than about 30 seconds or you could damage the valve.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
If the screen is pushed up in the IPR then that could be shot

Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 PM
steventothemax
Senior User
Ordered IPR and oil drain tube from Touseley Ford ($99 and $20!!)

Since I have a few days and everything is already apart should I pull all 8 injectors and inspect them for o-ring failure?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Ordered IPR and oil drain tube from Touseley Ford ($99 and $20!!)

Since I have a few days and everything is already apart should I pull all 8 injectors and inspect them for o-ring failure?
Do you have the discharge tube disconnected from the branch tube? If so, insert a rubber tipped air chuck directly into the branch tube to do your air testing. By doing it this way, you remove the high pressure oil pump, IPR valve and discharge tube from the equation. If no air leaks are heard, you won't need to remove valve covers to pinpoint further.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:58 PM
steventothemax
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Do you have the discharge tube disconnected from the branch tube? If so, insert a rubber tipped air chuck directly into the branch tube to do your air testing. By doing it this way, you remove the high pressure oil pump, IPR valve and discharge tube from the equation. If no air leaks are heard, you won't need to remove valve covers to pinpoint further.
Ok I'm a little confused on this. I removed a tube from the top of the HPOP and took HPOP out. This tube is still plugged into engine. Is this the discharge tube (which then needs to be removed) or is this the branch tube.?

Quick Reply: won't start when warm