6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

HPFP failures

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
huntindog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
3,200 miles with a pump failure sure is early.
Agreed. But it turns out the pump wasn't the problem.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by huntindog
I read that ENTIRE thread.

So if they do use the same components, then a look at the differences should shed some light on the issue. Or perhaps it was just a fluke? Kinda weird at that milage. Such a failure could be expected at low milage from a defect, or high from wear.

35,000......strange
So, since it wasn't infant mortality, it is probably safe to assume that it didn't come from the factory with that corrosion.

That pretty much leaves fuel as the culprit. How can water get through the separator? The only way I can see, assuming that the filter element was in place, is that emulsified or "solubilized" water made it through.

I'm all eyes for other theories.

--BobP

Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Agreed. But it turns out the pump wasn't the problem.
Apparently I should have continued to page 4 before commenting...lol.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
huntindog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Glockin' Bob
So, since it wasn't infant mortality, it is probably safe to assume that it didn't come from the factory with that corrosion.

That pretty much leaves fuel as the culprit. How can water get through the separator? The only way I can see, assuming that the filter element was in place, is that emulsified or "solubilized" water made it through.

I'm all eyes for other theories.

--BobP
From what we have been told, there were no signs of water damage downstream of the filter.

I'm still not 100% convinced that they use the excact same pump.
Both Ford and GM are big enough customers that suppliers will custom spec one of their standard components for them.

Not sure how to find out 100%

Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Glockin' Bob
Senior User
From what we have been told, there were no signs of water damage downstream of the filter.

I'm still not 100% convinced that they use the excact same pump.
Both Ford and GM are big enough customers that suppliers will custom spec one of their standard components for them.

Not sure how to find out 100%
If there were no signs of water downstream of the filter, then I really don't understand at all how there could be a denial of warranty. Some signs of water in the filter would be the filter performing as designed. Draining water from the filter housing is considered normal maintenance.

I'd be surprised if the two pumps were absolutely identical, probably just same family, but I could be wrong. Even if identical externally, there could be internal changes.
I'm guessing we'll find out in time, rebuilt pumps should start showing up in maybe a couple of years??

Fortunately, this failure seems to be more of a fluke, at least at this time. Maybe more will show up as time goes on. What is so disconcerting about this is the way Ford is handling it. If the system is set up so that a single (perhaps incompetent) tech can flag a problem as non-warranthy, particularly such an expensive repair, the system is broken. We don't get very much choice where to break down, you might be close to home and a good dealer with a competant tech, or you might not be. How are you supposed to find a good tech when you're hundreds or maybe thousands of miles from home? It's a crap shoot, maybe a very expensive one.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A post from the linked D-Max Forum, from a D-Max Technician:

If you think the techs are under trained or lazy in their diagnostics, you ought to talk to the morons they have working at the GM tech assist. Talk about idiots. 9 of 10 times I end up fixing the truck without their help while waiting on a call back from them.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Seems that GM and Ford have similar service and Tech Line issues. It's too bad that a service department cannot be trusted, unless you've already had experience with them or have been given a reliable referral.

The following seems to be good advice for 6.7 owners:
  • It is worth the expense to have a disabled truck towed to a known dealer.
  • Getting fuel at the same hi-volume fuel station, and/or limiting the number of fuel stations used, is important in case of an issue.
  • Using an additive with an emulsifier appears to be a bad choice.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
[quote=Kep4;10905725]A post from the linked D-Max Forum, from a D-Max Technician:

If you think the techs are under trained or lazy in their diagnostics, you ought to talk to the morons they have working at the GM tech assist. Talk about idiots. 9 of 10 times I end up fixing the truck without their help while waiting on a call back from them.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Seems that GM and Ford have similar service and Tech Line issues. It's too bad that a service department cannot be trusted, unless you've already had experience with them or have been given a reliable referral.

The following seems to be good advice for 6.7 owners:
  • It is worth the expense to have a disabled truck towed to a known dealer.
  • Getting fuel at the same hi-volume fuel station, and/or limiting the number of fuel stations used, is important in case of an issue.
  • Using an additive with an emulsifier appears to be a bad choice.
[/quote

Also retain all your fuel recipes in case of a fill up with contaminated fuel.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by rickatic
I also would like to know this...I would hope my new DuraMax lasts longer than 35000 miles...

Regards

Congrats on the new truck. Since you have both the Duramax and the 6.7 maybe you can give us a real world comparison?

In a separate thread of course........

**Update**

Just read of the issue you are having with the 6.7, disregard the request above.............

It appears that Ford is beginning to take the same stance with some HPFP failures on the 6.7 as they have with the 6.4, that is to start voiding warranties based off of water in fuel issues even though the WIF indicator has not come on.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Would you mind posting that pic on here? I'd like to see it and that forum won't let me unless I sign up.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian123
Would you mind posting that pic on here? I'd like to see it and that forum won't let me unless I sign up.
Here ya go, Ian. I registered and retrieved it for you!

Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Thanks Tom, reps to you. Surprisingly the pump is not as complicated as I expected.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:24 PM
consolidated
Freshman User
My HPFP was replaced at around 3,500 miles, first they replaced a fuel pressure sensor. 2011 F250.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:29 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by consolidated
My HPFP was replaced at around 3,500 miles, first they replaced a fuel pressure sensor. 2011 F250.
Warranty work? How many days were you without your truck?

Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 PM
consolidated
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kper05
Warranty work? How many days were you without your truck?
Yes, two visits to get it taken cared of, about 10 days total out of service. I was also getting a jarringly hard downshift, they replaced the torque converter.

I had a persistent CEL leading to the fuel pressure sensor and then HPFP being replaced. It's run very well since. I opened a case with Ford, my dealership said that was a good move.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by consolidated
I opened a case with Ford, my dealership said that was a good move.
Explain please.

Is this a case through the Ford Customer Contact Center or your servicing dealer up through to Ford's warranty claims?

Quick Reply: HPFP failures