Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Firestone R4-Tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excellent work m8. wow what a job. you gotta put up a video of those things in action. Im real interested in the amount of lift.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

LOL took it for a test run,steering wheel has done a 180,is now upside down,might have to go get a adjustable front panhard bar,crikey it looks higher than a 4" lift,but i measured it and its sitting 4" above stock,i'll have a good look at that pitman arm tamorrow night..

Its smoother BUT not as smooth as i thought it would be,but ive only taken it for a short ride tonight,some fine tuning might be the go.

Then i'll have too take it down too my front end man and get him too have a look at it all..

Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

what did you do to the pitman arm. what about your brake lines and breather tubes. is there enough free for the travel.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Nice job showing what is involved with this.

Moderators - would be nice to split this into separate threads. The R4 kit is now lost in this thread and this installation deserves it' own title.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
what did you do to the pitman arm. what about your brake lines and breather tubes. is there enough free for the travel.
I got extended brake lines,but i havent fitted them yet,and the diff breathers i want to extend aswell even higher than factory..

Old 07-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by porthole
Nice job showing what is involved with this.

Moderators - would be nice to split this into separate threads. The R4 kit is now lost in this thread and this installation deserves it' own title.
Thanks mate,big job,quite a few hours involved on me own

Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

what did you end up doing with the pitman arm ??

Old 07-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

what did you end up doing with the pitman arm ??
Pitman arm is fine,i had to add a longer adjuster on the drag link..

Tim @ rocket sports trucks (i was yacking to him for 2 hours tonight at his shop) has almost finnished building his own single steering box steering(fully engineered and certified),NO need for the dummy box on the passenger side,he said it will take out the bull***** aussie installed steering lag and our trucks will steer more like a car not a truck,also if your truck follows the contours of the road like mine does,he said putting a minimum of 6 to 8 degree's caster on our front ends will make it steer straight true and not follow the contours of the road

And he strongly advises me too add air actuators to my airbag airlines too make them much softer,better ride..

So things are looking up,i might just end up with a even better riding truck that steers how i want it too

Old 07-04-2011, 10:17 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
What is an air actuator?

Old 07-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by porthole
What is an air actuator?
Air accumulator sorry,allows the air bag to compress more/easily..

Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

single steering box. now I have just dribbled all over my pants. Let me know when its out. Now wheres the video bro. Im over the pics

Porthole you lucky bugga, Thats one sweet looking ride.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:38 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

single steering box. now I have just dribbled all over my pants.
nice ha..

Video otw brudda.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:23 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Single steering box sounds good!

Also Bryan, don't confuse our Yankee brothers by saying driver and passenger side over here !

The accumulators will be just a big hollow sphere that will allow the air bag to compress air into the accumulator so that you get more air travel. My previous vehicle used to use them (a Mercedes S600) albeit in a slightly different way. I would guess that you'd want to mount one accumulator per bag in the air line as close to the airbag as practical. On compression the airbag will dump air into the accumulator and on rebound the accumulator will push air back into the bag. You could keep adding accumulators to your air line until the plushness of your suspension pleases the better half!

BTW, how do you adjust castor on the front end?

Oh yer, one other thing, what load rating are those stumps you got your vehicle resting on?

Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by SSSimon
Single steering box sounds good!

Also Bryan, don't confuse our Yankee brothers by saying driver and passenger side over here !

The accumulators will be just a big hollow sphere that will allow the air bag to compress air into the accumulator so that you get more air travel. My previous vehicle used to use them (a Mercedes S600) albeit in a slightly different way. I would guess that you'd want to mount one accumulator per bag in the air line as close to the airbag as practical. On compression the airbag will dump air into the accumulator and on rebound the accumulator will push air back into the bag. You could keep adding accumulators to your air line until the plushness of your suspension pleases the better half!
Last time i checked this was the aussie chapter so we know what we are waffling on about,they just better remember where they are...........RE: accumulators,yer im tracking some down but are having trouble finding them,airbagit have 1 gallon tanks with 2 compartments,1 per axle,but im trying to fing something better if i can..
There is what they call buckets on top of your kingpins,they are off centre so the can adjust caster and camber..

Oh yer, one other thing, what load rating are those stumps you got your vehicle resting on?
SWL= 2000kg its carved on the side but you cant see em ,there 1897 car blocks *cough* i mean cart blocks.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SSSimon
The buckets mentioned my Nkelly - you can get different spec buckets (that affect the castor) from your dealership, otherwise I think Pedders makes them adjustable.

Are you inquiring because your rig has the infamous "pulls left" syndrome?

Quick Reply: Firestone R4-Tech